So Whatcha Doin' Today?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Went ahead and rebuilt the original socket. Removed the three contact pins and drilled out the old wires and solder. Soldered in fresh wire and reassembled everything and put it back on the boat. The rear facing deck light it working reliably now. Waiting for Amazon to deliver a LED bulb for the nav lights. Going to get a LED for the rear nav light too.

I'm calling the power tilt repair a success. It's been in the tilt position all day and hasn't moved a bit. As stated previously, it would drop to full vertical in less than a minute before. Chipping away at the problems. But still have that big engine problem to work on. Going to talk to a marine mechanic tomorrow and get his opinion.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Looks like my power tilt victory is all for naught. I spoke to the marine mechanic today and showed him some pictures of the engine and his recommendation is to replace it. He said even when new the Force engine was a bottom rung power plant. It would be more expensive to rebuild this engine and it would still be unreliable. The least expensive route to take is to re-power the boat. He can supply an engine and do the swap for around $1500. But the engine he currently has is to big for my boat. His is a 175 and the boat is only rated to 150.

So I'm on the search for another engine. Either he'll come up with something or I trip over something. I've got my network on the hunt for me. Bummer, bummer, bummer!

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Had a pretty long day working today so didn't get to do anything extra curricular. However, yesterday I finally cut my sagging trailer hitch out from under my work truck. It really was a sad attempt at rigging a trailer hitch. I frikken love my plasma cutter. Four easy cuts and it was gone. Now I've got to find some time to wrestle the new hitch into place and mount it.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Hate yard work. I'll ride the mower or grade the driveway with the Bobcat. If shoveling, raking, planting or weeding is in the sentence then you can count me out.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My wife actually likes mowing the lawn. Yay me, lol.

Mine does too. Even made me go out and buy her a push mower. Not even self propelled. She likes to mow for the exercise. Our grassy area is pretty small and level. It really only takes her 20 minutes to do it. I can do it in about 5 with the rider.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Hope everybody had/is having a great Easter Sunday. Went out for breakfast with the family this morning then went to an Easter service our local church was putting on. They told the story of the crucifixion in song with a live choir. There were some pretty impressive voices amongst them.

I've spent the last two days under my work truck trying to install the new hitch. My arms are like wet noodles from bench pressing that monster hitch into place so many times. Because my work truck is not a standard configuration, I can't just bolt it up to the frame. I bought a hitch that matches my frame width but there are no pre-existing holes in the frame to bolt it up to. Had to do quite a bit of drilling through 1/4 inch steel....while lying on my back with hot metal shavings falling all over me.

Yesterday I got the hitch in place and marked where it would come through the back part of the truck. Had to cut bits and pieces of metal out of the way that were obstructions. Got the hole cut through the back of the flat bed and marked where the mounting holes would be so that they could be drilled.

Got those holes drilled today and the hitch is temporarily bolted into place. I'm waiting for some grade 8 bolts I've ordered to come in and some fine tuning to do before I can call it complete. They sent grade 5 bolts with the hitch which should be adequate but since I'm having to customize the install and need longer bolts, I'm upgrading to grade 8 bolts. This turkey isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
Got a call from the daughter earlier today. She was supposed to be headed over but instead told us that she tore up her car running over a curb on FRIDAY. So, I went to go look at it and saw 2 blown out tires and, as suspected, a busted oil pan. I pulled the wheels and got new tires mounted then picked up a tow dolly and pushed it onto the dolly to tow it home. I got it home and found the ac compressor also got hit bending the bolts and breaking 3 of the 5 "ears" where it attaches. The pulley was bent, the belt shredded, and the transmission pan bent and scratched but still intact. She did a number on it and came very close to doing a lot more.

Just what I wanted to do on Easter. :facepalm:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
:rondod:
Got a call from the daughter earlier today. She was supposed to be headed over but instead told us that she tore up her car running over a curb on FRIDAY. So, I went to go look at it and saw 2 blown out tires and, as suspected, a busted oil pan. I pulled the wheels and got new tires mounted then picked up a tow dolly and pushed it onto the dolly to tow it home. I got it home and found the ac compressor also got hit bending the bolts and breaking 3 of the 5 "ears" where it attaches. The pulley was bent, the belt shredded, and the transmission pan bent and scratched but still intact. She did a number on it and came very close to doing a lot more.

Just what I wanted to do on Easter. :facepalm:

First, glad she's OK. Second, how in the heck did she hit a curb and do so much damage?

My sisters husband keeps blowing up cars. Just found out he toasted another one a couple weeks ago. You'd think that whatever it is he's doing (or not doing) that he'd be more conscientious about it and not do it anymore. Two of the cars he's blown up were one's my parents gave to them because they couldn't afford to go buy one.

Come on man, get the oil changed every so often or at least pull the dip stick to make sure it's reading correctly and add some if needed. Just amazes me the lack of responsibility. But the fact they were canvassing for Bernie kind of tells you about their character.

oppo

Full Access Member
:rondod:

First, glad she's OK. Second, how in the heck did she hit a curb and do so much damage?

My sisters husband keeps blowing up cars. Just found out he toasted another one a couple weeks ago. You'd think that whatever it is he's doing (or not doing) that he'd be more conscientious about it and not do it anymore. Two of the cars he's blown up were one's my parents gave to them because they couldn't afford to go buy one.

Come on man, get the oil changed every so often or at least pull the dip stick to make sure it's reading correctly and add some if needed. Just amazes me the lack of responsibility. But the fact they were canvassing for Bernie kind of tells you about their character.

Well, she drives a little Mazda 3 which has zilch for ground clearance and it waa a curb like in a parking lot. It wasn't pretty.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Looks like I bought another boat. Don't have pictures of it yet. Before we exchange cash for title this motor WILL get checked out. This is what you might call a barn find. I was talking to a friend about my current boat and he said he knew someone who might sell his.

It's been in his barn sitting for 8 years. But he guarantees the engine to be good. We'll see. This is a 17 foot fish and ski (leaning more toward the fish part) with a Mercury 150 outboard. It's going to need a good cleaning since the guy does woodworking in his shop/barn and the boat has a thick layer of sawdust all over it. He's selling the entire rig for less than I can just buy a replacement motor at the moment.

We're getting into our boating season and it seems that everyone is heading to the area lakes. My plan is to get this one going and use it this season. I'll be keeping my eye's open for another 150 to go on the first boat possibly near the end of the fishing season. Then I'll decide which one I want to keep and which one to sell. I'm hoping to keep my investment pretty low and make some money from the one I decide to sell. Sorta like flipping a house. Buy cheap, fix it up, sell high. Some people make it work. Why can't I?

I may have it here tomorrow. I'll get some before and after pics once I get some of the sawdust washed off of it.

oppo

Full Access Member
Recently found that one of my cousins is finally getting married. They decided to get married at the beach and set a date for June 17th. Sounds like a good excuse to drive down to the coast for a couple of days.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Recently found that one of my cousins is finally getting married. They decided to get married at the beach and set a date for June 17th. Sounds like a good excuse to drive down to the coast for a couple of days.

I do think that's a good excuse. Which beach are we going to?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Got the boat home. It was touch and go for awhile. It's been sitting so long the tires were coming apart. Finally found two that would get it the short distance home. Here are some before and after pressure washer shots. I still need to take some soap and a sponge to it.
1gwXtiG.jpg
27Ar1hn.jpg

I pulled the engine cover and discovered a couple rat nests. While I was there I pulled the spark plugs and turned the engine by hand. It moved easily and I could feel suction and pressure from each spark plug hole when I put my finger in it. Both good signs.
wlcC3ko.jpg

2DeHAyD.jpg

Also found out from the owner that before he parked it, he disconnected the fuel line and ran the engine until it quit. That would mean there wasn't any fuel in the carbs to gunk up over time. They may be in good shape. I do need to drain the eight year old gas out of the tank. This one has oil injection. I wonder if the oil needs replacing as well. I don't know if it goes bad like gas does.

oppo

Full Access Member
I do think that's a good excuse. Which beach are we going to?

Port Aransas, next to Chorpus Christi. I am not sure of the exact location yet, though. His sister got married at Padre last year but I didn't get to make that one.

Members online

No members online now.