So Whatcha Doin' Today?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
And ..... more yard work

Speaking of which, We bought 26 bags of mulch that my wife put out today. I got them all close to where they needed to be and she opened them and spread the contents in her raised plant beds. Have to get some more tomorrow.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Congrats on the boat :waytogo:

Thanks, a little more to the story. He's got it at the marina due to the engine not running smoothly. They are going to check it out and let us know what it's going to take to make it right. My offer was contingent on nothing major being wrong. I'm guessing it needs a good carb cleaning. These old 2 strokes are pretty simple engines. If they get it running, I'm still going to run a tank of Sea Foam cleaner through it.

He had me worried earlier today. Someone else inquired about the boat and he didn't tell them he has a pending sale. I msg'd him real quick to let him know I wasn't playing games. My offer is serious. Barring anything major, he can consider the boat sold. I know no money had been exchanged, but I consider my msg offer as binding. I still do business on a handshake. He better not sell it out from under me.

Arckadian

On the days in question . . . I was installing flooring in my house and cleaning up my basement. . . . today, installing all my programming and creation software on my computer before I get ready to go to work . . . .

oppo

Full Access Member
It is nice when the new floors are finished but I don't envy the installation part.

oppo

Full Access Member
Having a pair 45 lb plates hanging from a belt while doing chin ups is definitely a game changer.

oppo

Full Access Member
That definitely wasn't one handed, lol. I did try one handed without extra weight but, of course, I had to cheat a little to do it. I think this belt is gonna be just the ticket to get the biceps growing.

oppo

Full Access Member
images

Absolutely delicious!

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Went and got the boat. Already have the boat registered in my name. I'll take care of the trailer tomorrow. It'll need a little work. Carpeting has to be replaced. The marina never did get around to looking at the motor. I took a gamble and bought it anyhow. He made an offer to come down on the price to buy it as is. If I can't get the engine going then I have some contacts who knows somebody who can. But I'm going to give it a shot first. So it's sitting in the my back yard as I'm typing this. I'm looking forward to spending some time on the lake.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Went out and started to look at the boat motor. Not good news. I did a compression check and I don't have any on a couple cylinders. I was hoping it might just be a blown head gasket. No such luck. Something is going on with the piston or rings. I'm either going to take it to somebody or dig deeper into it myself. Tackling it myself will be a learning experience but getting somebody who knows these engines may have a few tricks up their sleeves. I don't know which way will be most cost effective. I guess it won't hurt to talk to somebody and see what they charge for a rebuild. What's the saying about owning a boat? A hole in the water in which you pour money. Seems to starting out that way.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Did a little more digging on the engine today. Definitely some broken rings. I took a thin wire and passed it down the side of the piston. A couple pistons have distorted areas like a chunk of ring came out. I prodded with a thin wire and could feel ring in an area and then the wire would go deeper in another. Most likely where piston ring is missing. Cylinder doesn't look too bad. I think taking a cylinder dresser to it would clean up the imperfections.

I have an opportunity to buy another 150 engine from a friend of a friend for $800. He guarantees it to be in good shape. Might be my most economical way to get the boat in the water the quickest. Probably go look at it tomorrow.

I switched gears this afternoon and added some fluid to the hydraulic tilt. That certainly improved it's function. But found another problem. The tilt switch got stuck in the raise position. I had to run back to the engine and disconnect the tilt wire. Add that to the list of things I have to look into. It's a good thing I like to tinker on mechanical things. Always a new adventure learning about something I haven't worked on before.

priell3

Full Access Member
My son and I visited a few gun shops today to do some browsing and stopped in the local Harley dealer to look around.

Nice weather today after yesterday's snow so I pulled a couple of porterhouse steaks from the freezer and fired up the grill.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Fixed the power trim switch on the throttle control. Inspected the switch up at the casting station. It's sticking. It's a pretty standard momentary rocker switch so I've got a new one of those on order. Inspected the trailer lights. I think it will just be easier to rewire them myself. Also, the original lights were not submersible. The whole in the back where the wires came through was wide open. So I'm replacing them with a LED submersible set.

Yes, I've bought a project. It seems everything I touch needs attention. I looked at the nav lights on the boat. Lo and behold the rear nav light came on nice and bright just by flicking the switch. Front navs, not as lucky. But I have power at that port. Just need to replace the bulbs in that fitting. Going to upgrade them to LED too. Hey! The stereo works. It's an ancient cassette tape player but the radio actually plays and the speakers put out sound. Hooray!

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Worked on the power tilt motor today. When I put the engine in it's full tilt position, It would leak back down to it's standard position in no time. There is a manual release bolt that I pulled out and behind that is some valving that has a couple O-rings on it. I went to Lowe's and got some replacement o-rings and changed them all out. Put everything back together and refilled the tilt reservoir with fresh hydraulic fluid. To my surprise, it stays in the tilt position now. It use to leak back down in less than a minute. Now it's been over an hour and it's still in the full tilt position. Gotta love it when a plan works.

The other project was the bow nav lights. Was having a heck of a time figuring out why they weren't lighting. It's a pretty neat setup. On the front side of the light are the typical red and green lenses for port and starboard. They shine out in front of the boat. On the back side is a white light that shines down on the deck so you can see what you're doing when it's dark.

Finally got that working and as I'm putting things back together the ground wire pulls out of the bottom of the light socket. Now I either have to replace or rebuild it. Time to go investigate some more.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.