So Whatcha Doin' Today?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Kind of a domino effect day (I'll get to that in a minute).

Being mothers day, we met my parents for breakfast and being the good son I bought (never any question about that). Then we stopped by Lowe's for some mulch. Checked out their website ahead of time and it said our store had 13 bags. We get there and they don't have any. I show the helper dude that yes, their website shows 13 bags. The other helper dude says that they haven't updated the website and that they are sold out.

So I ask, "What good is the website if you don't have what it says you do"? Both helper dudes give me the deer in the headlights look. They said that some more is on the way. I guess I'll keep an eye on the website so I know when that arrives.

Here's the domino part. The main thing I wanted to accomplish today was paint some rims that were on the boat trailer. I bought a manual tire changer to remove the tires from the rims. They were trash anyhow. Wasn't sure they were going to get the boat home. I needed to build a platform to mount the tire machine on so it doesn't walk all over the place while wrestling with a rim.

So I built a platform to mount the tire machine on. Used the tire machine to unmount the tires from the rims. And finally, cleaned and painted the rims. Now I'm waiting for the new tires to be delivered so I can remount them and get them back under the boat.

daeEFaX.jpg

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The wheels look good :waytogo:

Thanks, I'm happy with them. Turned out better than expected. I'm in the process of doing a third one for the spare. The trigger on the spray can was difficult to use. It may be due to my big hands but I couldn't do it one handed. Had to hold the can in one hand and activate the trigger with the other. I read some Amazon reviews (after the fact) that also complain about the trigger. But it all turned out alright.:chewie:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My trailer tires came in. Today was a light workday so I came home and attempted to mount them on my newly painted rims. Holy cow what a pain it was. I don't know what the heck i got but they won't go on the rim. I've lubed it up with soap and I can get it half way there and then it just pops back off the rim. I've got to plan a different strategy. I got a load range "C" tire. 215/75-14. The rim is a 14". By the numbers it should work. The side walls and bead are extremely stiff on this tire. Ought to be a good one if I can ever get it on the rim.

I think I may have to mount the tire rim to the concrete. It's moving around too much while trying to get the tire on. The tire machine needs to be dead steady. As it is right now I'm having to stand on the wood that it's mounted to so that it doesn't move. My wife says to just take it someplace and have them do it. Nope, It's a personal goal now to do this myself. I will figure out a way.

Full Access Member
My trailer tires came in. Today was a light workday so I came home and attempted to mount them on my newly painted rims. Holy cow what a pain it was. I don't know what the heck i got but they won't go on the rim. I've lubed it up with soap and I can get it half way there and then it just pops back off the rim. I've got to plan a different strategy. I got a load range "C" tire. 215/75-14. The rim is a 14". By the numbers it should work. The side walls and bead are extremely stiff on this tire. Ought to be a good one if I can ever get it on the rim.

I think I may have to mount the tire rim to the concrete. It's moving around too much while trying to get the tire on. The tire machine needs to be dead steady. As it is right now I'm having to stand on the wood that it's mounted to so that it doesn't move. My wife says to just take it someplace and have them do it. Nope, It's a personal goal now to do this myself. I will figure out a way.

I would have to agree with your wife on this one, unless you don't feel pain.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I had a great week for readiness so I will put it down ( I think a week is a better indicator than "a day")
3 Ruck marches and 1 very long and hard pistol class where I got really challenged.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Nothing.....not a dog gone thing! It's been a rainy nasty mess the past couple days. Yesterday started out raining but cleared up. I did get some trouble calls done. Woke up to a deluge this morning and it tapered off but the second round is upon us. Good day for a nap.

I did figure out how to put some photos into a private album so that they are password protected. No, not the nude ones, I show those to everybody. I wanted to have my drivers license and CCW permit on my phone. Just in case I lose my wallet and need to show my ID. But I didn't want them out in the cloud on Google Photos. So I put my phone in Airplane mode shutting down all outside communication. Took my pictures, made them private and then took it out of Airplane mode. They're on the phone and nowhere else. Ta daaaa.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
With all this rain I've noticed some gutter overflowing. I just came in from trying to clear one. On my detached garage the downspout was clogged. Hey, I've got a great idea. I'll crank my blower and shove it in the end of the downspout and blip the throttle. Yeah, that'll work. Like Old Faithful. Water shot up about three feet and came down right on top of me. I looked up just in time to see it heading my way.

No biggie. I got the back of my shirt all wet. But my downspout is clear. It worked better than I had anticipated.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Was a heck of a day. First we went into town for breakfast. We typically meet some folks there and other people come and go as well. My parents showed up and we chatted for awhile. Then we came home and got busy. No, not that kind of busy. Yard cleanup type busy.

I burned some cardboard, helped clean off the screened in porch, replaced a mercury vapor light bulb with a LED bulb (had to bypass the igniter), changed out the two front porch lights with new ones and installed LED bulbs in them, our Jeep heat/ac blower has been acting intermittently so I had ordered one of those and replaced it, noticed the last time it rained some gutters were overflowing so I cleaned them, my electric pressure washer wasn't acting right so I fixed that, just spent the last half hour fixing a printer network problem, took the wife out to dinner and now the hot tub is filling with water.

I'm taking tomorrow off.

oppo

Full Access Member
Gave the llama a haircut yesterday. That was ummm... interesting.

Fixing to go into work for a couple hours and then take out a tree trunk for mom. Hopefully that goes well. I am hoping that it is rotten enough to pull out with the truck.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator

Fixing to go into work for a couple hours and then take out a tree trunk for mom. Hopefully that goes well. I am hoping that it is rotten enough to pull out with the truck.

Take video.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Well the new bulb that replaced the mercury vapor light never came on last night. Upon closer inspection the LED bulb is toast. When I un-boxed it I detected a burnt electrical smell but thought maybe it was from manufacturing. I can see burnt smokey places in the vent area. Apparently somebody fried it and returned it and it was sent back out to me.

I'm in touch with the seller via Amazon to see about getting a replacement. Sometimes it seems that nothing goes smoothly.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
OK, got the outside light working again. Ended up getting a big ol' CFL (300 watt) from Lowe's. It has the regular medium light bulb base. The socket on the lamp is the monster Mogul size. No problem.....go to the adapter isle and reduce it down to regular size. Nope, Yeah they make such a thing but nobody in my town has them. So buy a regular size socket and put it in place of the big one is what I did. Got everything back together. Light came on when I plugged the light sensor into it. Have to wait until dark to see if it actually works.

Last thing I had to do to my pressure washer was put a new electrical plug on it. Somebody ran over the old one and crushed it. I'm not mentioning any names. OK, I confess. Plugged it in and it's working like a champ again. I thought it might be trash but it was just a loose fitting under the covers. Problem was I needed a torx bit over 6" long in order to reach the recessed screws. Those came in last week which allowed me to finally get to that project.

Taking the rest of today and most of tomorrow off. Customers keep having critical problems that have to be taken care of before they can go on vacation.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator

Where's the video? Of both the llama haircut and the stump pulling. And where do you live where you have access to a llama? What other critters do you have?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Just got out of the hot tub. Man I needed that. I'm going to sleep good tonight.
I'll spare you the pics of me in the hot tub as me in Speedo's really aren't fit for public viewing.
MibkiiB.jpg

This thing is about 20 years old but it keeps on going. A couple years ago I saw an add for a spa cover lift. At that time they wanted a lot of money for them. So I built my own. I can remove the cover by myself with one hand. Another project that turned out surprisingly well.
YY4mdVV.jpg

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
Where's the video? Of both the llama haircut and the stump pulling. And where do you live where you have access to a llama? What other critters do you have?

I live outside of a small town northwest of Ft Worth. No video of giving the llama a haircut as I had my hands full since he isn't yet halter broke.

The stump turned out to be a lot less rotten than I anticipated. All I accomplished was leaving 4 black stripes in the street and wearing down my tires a bit.

We have the llama, 5 goats, and 3 dogs. The llama is a guard for the goats since we have coyotes around. He is really good with the goats.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I live outside of a small town northwest of Ft Worth. No video of giving the llama a haircut as I had my hands full since he isn't yet halter broke.

The stump turned out to be a lot less rotten than I anticipated. All I accomplished was leaving 4 black stripes in the street and wearing down my tires a bit.

We have the llama, 5 goats, and 3 dogs. The llama is a guard for the goats since we have coyotes around. He is really good with the goats.

Bummer on not getting video.

That's cool about all your critters. It's getting more an more common to find donkeys sharing a field with cows around here. We also have a growing coyote population and the donkeys help protect the cows. As I understand it, the donkeys have an instinct to hate coyote (or any K9) and go after them. They'll stomp it flat.

My wife and I have had dogs and cats most of our married life. Our furry friends have all passed on and we've made a pact not to get any more. We want to be able to pick up and travel whenever we can and not be tied down by trying to find someone to watch them or having to board them.

oppo

Full Access Member
Your understanding on the donkeys is correct and they bite too. They are fantastic at keeping coyotes away. We used to have a couple but the problem is that they can also be aggressive with other animals as well. They ended up being as much a danger to the goats as the coyotes. The llama, on the other hand, is fantastic. He actually cares for the goats and watches over them. The babies even climb on him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts