What would be a good deer hunting rifle?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Looks like a lot of rifles used in that time period .. The pic below are Japanese rifles , but other counties used one's that also looked similar ... Must have been the look of the time or I watched a lot of WWII war movies fighting against the Japanese :D
The Russian Mosin rifle look similar too.
300px-Mosin_Nagant_series_of_rifles.jpg

ViperJeff

Administrator
I did see a left handed AR-15 today, made me want it right there and then. I knew they existed, just never saw one in person

Arckadian

The lefty was a huge surprize for sure.... but at least you know whom to speak with about getting the AR-15 of yer dreams :D

oppo

Full Access Member
First of all, you need to familiarize yourself with the laws of any state in which you plan to hunt. Most have some type of restriction on what you can legally hunt with and a few don't allow rifles at all.

That said, anything from 243 up with quality bullets that you can shoot accurately at the distance you plan to hunt will work fine. In heavily wooded areas where shots are relatively short, a lever action in 30-30 or one of several less common calibers is handy and will work just fine. A good bolt action will also work at shorter distances but is available in calibers better suited for longer shots in more open areas. If I had to name a specific rifle, it would be either a Savage 110 or Remington 700 in 270 Winchester. Either of these rifles is plenty accurate and powerful to get the job done effectively at any distance you have any business taking a shot and will do it without excessive recoil. Add in a quality 3-9 scope and you will be well prepared for a wide variety of game under a wide variety of conditions.

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
I hunt deer with a marlin .44 mag lever action rifle..leiapold scope. much better than a .12g shotgun even with sabots.. just my two cents. BTW.. the state i live in only lets you hunt with bow shotgun or pistol. BUT a rifle that shoots pistol ammo is ok... :crazy:

Last edited:

Arckadian

My state lets people go hunting with Black Powder weapons :D now that would be an interesting hunt.... better hope it doesnt rain :p

JJP71584

Where I live and hunt, the common rounds for deer hunting are a 30-30 and the 30-06. I own a 30-30 and it is a great beginner rifle. Really though it depends on what you are able to hunt. Are you going to be taking shots at 50 yards or 250 yards? Makes a big difference...

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
My state lets people go hunting with Black Powder weapons :D now that would be an interesting hunt.... better hope it doesnt rain :p

It could rain all you want, with a proper load and primer you will have no problems in the rain..

IronworksTactical

A very popular AR platform is the 6.8.
image-6.jpg

Great for deer and pig and very efficient out of short barrels such as 16 or 18 or even SBRs with a suppressor if legal in your state. The nice thing about such a platform is its always nice to lug a 7.5lb rifle around compared to a 11-12 bolt action. This is a deer we took at 85 yards with a Barnes 95 TTSX. I like to shoot in front of the shoulder through the neck as i feel it drops the animal in its tracks because it either severs the spine or carotid.

image-5.jpg

Last edited:

FiveOH

I bought a Remington 700SPS .308 caliber last season. Has the heavy barrell on her...I have no complaints so far...sweet shooting gun!!!
yseretyn.jpg

a9a8eheq.jpg

Dropped this boy in his tracks
epehebyd.jpg

Last edited:

IronworksTactical

That is a good looking deer. I agree both platforms have their pros and cons. Especially if you're after something like a 300WM. Unfortunately in so cal our hunting consists of forks for meat and lots of hard desert hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Oh man, love this topic! One of my favorite hobbies. Personally I like the .270/30-06. They're 2 different calibers obviously, but damn near the same. IMO you can't go wrong with either on of them. They are both very accurate, flat shooting calibers.

I'd recommend a tried and true Remington 700 .270. That's what I use. No need for higher priced guns, as that gun will shoot better than you can operate it. It doesn't matter how well a gun will shoot, if you aren't good shooting it. Spend the bulk of your money on the optics. depending on what class of optics your looking at we can help you from there. IMO the 3 optic companies you should look at based on your price range will be:

1. Lower priced: For the lower end of the spectrum scopes, you can't beat Nikon IMO. They make a nice scope at great prices. Look at their Buckmaster line for your hunting needs. Run you around $300

6430_Buckmaster_3-9x50.jpg

2. Mid Range: A good middle of the road company is Leupold. Many, many hunters use their optics because they are good quality. If you want a nice scope but don't want to pay the prices of the high end companies, definitely take a good look at Leupold. I recommend their VX-3L line. Will run you around $900

29-28-1100x500.jpg

3. High End: Here's the leap to truly exceptional optics. I recommend Swarovski Optik. Exceptional quality. You really can see a difference with these scopes. It's like watching everything in HD. I can't describe the clarity and brightness you get looking through their scopes. I recommend the Z6 line. Will run you approx. $2000

I've heard great things about Zeiss as well, however I have no personal experience.

2-12x50.png

Edit: sorry for the large images, I thought they'd auto-resize.

oppo

Full Access Member
It really depends on your budget but quality optics are well worth the money. I hate seeing a high quality rifle with a low quality scope. I generally lean toward Nikon and Leupold.

If someone is on a really tight budget, I would even suggest a Nikon pro staff. The optics aren't as nice as their better scopes but are decent and unlike a lot of other scopes in that price range, they will hold together. I have a 2-7 on an 1895G 45-70 that sees nothing but healthy handloads and the crosshairs have never budged.

Years ago, when I bought my 30-06, it came with a package scope, a Simmons. It shook apart so I replaced it. It then shook the replacement apart. It also shook apart two more expensive scopes after that. I finally did what I should have done when I bought it. I put a Leupold on it. It has been on there ever since without a single issue.

Members online

No members online now.