What would be a good deer hunting rifle?

Arckadian

I am not much of a hunter myself, but if I was going to go hunting one of these days what kind of rifle would you guys suggest I pick up?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I am not much of a hunter myself, but if I was going to go hunting one of these days what kind of rifle would you guys suggest I pick up?

Hate to sound repetitive but a shotgun could fill the bill (depending on distance you want to hunt from). With the variety of ammo you can put in the thing you can hunt birds all the way up to bear. And they don't call it Buckshot for nothin'.

I've heard of some using the .223 to hunt deer or 7mm. Possibly 7.62x39 would do the job too.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Hate to sound repetitive but a shotgun could fill the bill (depending on distance you want to hunt from). With the variety of ammo you can put in the thing you can hunt birds all the way up to bear. And they don't call it Buckshot for nothin'.

I've heard of some using the .223 to hunt deer or 7mm. Possibly 7.62x39 would do the job too.

I will agree with this choice for all around hunting use ... 1st You have to decided what type of game you will be hunting and use the rifle that best suits the need ...

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
My old Boss in TX used a SOCOM Berreta 9mm pistol with a Can to hunt deer there .. He got 2 deer and we had Venison Jerky and burger for a year ... OH, I did get food poisoning eating one of the last steaks . That really sucked .

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My old Boss in TX used a SOCOM Berreta 9mm pistol with a Can to hunt deer there .. He got 2 deer and we had Venison Jerky and burger for a year ... OH, I did get food poisoning eating one of the last steaks . That really sucked .

It's all about shot placement. You need to go in just above the shoulder to catch the heart/lung area. Now let me clarify, I'm not a hunter so this is not from experience. I have been doing some reading from different sources on best shot placement and this is what actual hunters are saying. So in theory, if you don't hit a rib, you could kill a deer with a .22. This info was gathered from both rifle and bow hunting.

Nothing like a good case of food poisoning to clean things out. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
It's all about shot placement. You need to go in just above the shoulder to catch the heart/lung area. Now let me clarify, I'm not a hunter so this is not from experience. I have been doing some reading from different sources on best shot placement and this is what actual hunters are saying. So in theory, if you don't hit a rib, you could kill a deer with a .22. This info was gathered from both rifle and bow hunting.

Nothing like a good case of food poisoning to clean things out. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

You know I read that also , It was an interesting read ... Maybe one day I will buy my first gun and go on my first hunting trip .... A Bazooka to hunt elephant in Africa might be a good first challenge ,, What do you think :D

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
You know I read that also , It was an interesting read ... Maybe one day I will buy my first gun and go on my first hunting trip .... A Bazooka to hunt elephant in Africa might be a good first challenge ,, What do you think :D

You do start out with lofty goals. Maybe try something a little closer to home and see how you like it first. Just sayin'.

And I don't mean the elephant at your local zoo.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Here's what I was talking about Shot Placement. If you aim right at the top of the leg, you can see that the shoulder bone goes forward and then back leaving an opening to the heart/lung area. There are ribs in there somewhere also. So that's why using a small caliber is a gamble. Your goal is to drop the animal as quickly as possible. You don't want it running around injured.

Deer1.jpg

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
You do start out with lofty goals. Maybe try something a little closer to home and see how you like it first. Just sayin'.

And I don't mean the elephant at your local zoo.

OK , I guess your right :p .. A arm-a-dillo with a wrist rocket or pellet gun might be a tough challenge.... They are armored like a tank :D

Arckadian

Thanks fer the info gents :) I will look into what would be best for this area. I think there are some guys where I work that go hunting I just have to remember who they are :p

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Thanks fer the info gents :) I will look into what would be best for this area. I think there are some guys where I work that go hunting I just have to remember who they are :p
They'll be the ones calling in sick on opening day. At least that was my employees MO.

Yeah.....I just fell off the turnip truck.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Looks like one of those old Japanese rifles from WWII.

Nope, it's British through and through. Saw a show the other day that said there was a sniper version of this very gun. Suppose to have made a very good one too. Never knew that about the .303 cartridge.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Nope, it's British through and through. Saw a show the other day that said there was a sniper version of this very gun. Suppose to have made a very good one too. Never knew that about the .303 cartridge.

Looks like a lot of rifles used in that time period .. The pic below are Japanese rifles , but other counties used one's that also looked similar ... Must have been the look of the time or I watched a lot of WWII war movies fighting against the Japanese :D

Attachments

• japan.jpg
    japan.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 5

Members online

No members online now.