Something a little different. My slow AR build

ViperJeff

Administrator
After looking at this fine piece of man mad fun, it occurred to me if you handed it to a anti gun expert, they would refer to it as a double barreled assault weapon :893karatesmiley-thu

ydugubeg.jpg

KKing

Full Access Member
Thanks for the kind words guys. The only thing I would suggest to do differently to anyone thinking of running a similar handguard/flash hider combo is this....have steady, small hands. The handguard only clears the flash hider by about 1/32 of an inch. That's not counting the 3 threaded tabs that go on the underside of the handguard to the rear for the 3 mounting screws. So, the flash hider had to go one first, then I put scotch tape on it (the thinnest tape I could think of) so I didn't scratch it all the way down with the handguard. Next, I slid the handguard about 3/4 of the way onto the barrel and fought with the 3 little threaded mounting tabs, there's where you need the tiny hands. I just used an allen wrench to hold the tabs still while I started the screws, easy as it sounds I fiddled with those little things about an hour and a half. If you were running a smaller flash hider or one that the nut stuck out further than the handguard you wouldn't have any of these problems. But hey, it looks cool right? lol

KKing

Full Access Member
You know what they say about guys with small hands?

They wear small gloves :ROFLJest:

Lol I knew that was coming. I sure coulda used a small handed guy though, I bet he coulda got it done it in 10 minutes. My big mitts wouldn't cut it

KKing

Full Access Member
I had the same issue with my 8.2" 300BLK pistol.

Totally worth it in the end.

That's right, I forget you're running a very similar setup on your other pistol. Oh yeah, I dig it for sure. I think the flaming pig will prove to be worth it

KKing

Full Access Member
Well gents, ran the pistol yesterday. I only got to run 60 rounds through her, but it ate everything great. I shot xm193 5.56 and Wolf .223
My spent casings were ejecting around 4 o clock as they should and its holding the bolt open on the last round.
I only had one problem, charging handle is not wanting to come back with a fresh magazine. Without a magazine inserted it functions freely and I'm able to use the bolt release to get the first round in. I suspect it's something to do with the buffer retaining pin coming in contact with the bolt carrier, but I don't understand why it will work fine without a magazine inserted. I'll get an hour or two before I have to sack out this morning to investigate and I'll update this if I find anything

KKing

Full Access Member
Well, it appears I was too quick to say there was a problem. This morning...worked perfectly. I'm gonna guess there was a bur on either the bolt carrier or receiver. I guess it's possible it could have been getting hung up on the ejection door?
But anyway, I'm very pleased. I didn't really have any expectations as far as recoil and muzzle blast but I'm pleasantly surprised. Recoil is low enough that I can rest my cheek on the bare aluminum buffer tube and still be comfortable in rapid fire. One downside (I guess) is its LOUD, awfully loud. Doesn't bother me one bit, I shoot on my families land out in the country so I don't have to worry about bothering anyone, and it's a rifle round out of a pistol barrel so I feel like it should be expected. All I have left to do is stake the screws in the gas block and try to pile up more ammo when prices come down some. Gonna try to get the gopro out and do a video or two, maybe this weekend

Last edited:

STF

Full Access Member
I only had one problem, charging handle is not wanting to come back with a fresh magazine. Without a magazine inserted it functions freely and I'm able to use the bolt release to get the first round in. I suspect it's something to do with the buffer retaining pin coming in contact with the bolt carrier, but I don't understand why it will work fine without a magazine inserted. I'll get an hour or two before I have to sack out this morning to investigate and I'll update this if I find anything

Congrats!

I'm having the same issue. I don't have the issue on the same lower with my 300BLK upper on it. It also happens with a not completely full magazine.

KKing

Full Access Member
Hmm that's odd man. I don't know what my deal was. I just got lucky all around on mine, my setup and all. One day I need to put the BCM extractor upgrade in, but it's working good now so I won't screw with that.

STF

Full Access Member
I'm actually thinking mine has to do with a shitty charge handle. It wasn't that bad and I haven't messed with it since shooting.

Anyways Can't wait to see a video of yours.

KKing

Full Access Member
Got some pretty weather this weekend to do some shooting. I got a GoPro for Christmas that I'm trying to get figured out, if I do I'll get some HD video. If not, it'll be the ole iPhone camera special

Members online

No members online now.