Something a little different. My slow AR build

KKing

Full Access Member
I didn't really know where to put this, because when finished it will be an AR, but....a pistol. Impractical? Sure. Novelty? Well, maybe. A load of fun? Hell yes.
I'm looking at building a 10"-10.5" pistol, and I've started gathering parts. I'm starting out with a GT Vector Mil spec nekkid billet lower. Picked it up today at a good price (especially with today's madness) and considering picking up a poly lower as well just to have around, we'll see. Seems to me the upper will be the hardest thing to track down just casually looking around
ybyda9yd.jpg

ujesutu4.jpg

On order I also have my optics, grip, and pistol buffer kit, and end plate with ambidextrous sling mount. Notice I didn't mention any brands, what fun would that be if I ruined the "look what parts came in!" pics?
This will be my first complete build, I've put an upper on a complete lower and I've bought a complete rifle, so we'll see how this goes. I have a few things in mind for the build but it's probably best if I just post a picture of the general direction the build will go for reference. These both came from fellas over at AR15.com
ajarebep.jpg

apegesuh.jpg

My goal is to have it done and running well by Sept. 7th, which is my wedding day (I told you it'd be a slow build, right?). Figured I'd go ahead and start a thread since ill have parts coming in the next couple days and I'll have something to actually show. If nothing else, maybe the next guy that builds one can learn from the mistakes I'm sure I'll make. :smiley-face-popcorn

Last edited:

tacticold

Full Access Member
Not really my thing, but cool nonetheless.

Is the lack of a stock (even though you have a giant buffer tube anyway) the only thing that officially makes it a pistol? I can't go to a website and get a 10" barrel without going through NFA procedures, so I'm trying to figure this all out.....

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
An AR-15 receiver is an AR-15, so you did good and got it in the right place.

I'm a bit on board with Tacti, it looks like it's missing a stock, but it sure gave me a weird idea. You'll need to build 2 now. One for the left side and one for the right side. :laughing1:

Using power mirror motors on your truck, you can have ports on the front side of your mirrors, then simply shove that splined pole end into the ports on the mirrors, now you you can aim with your power mirror switches, left, right, up, down, :rofl: hmmm, now for a remote trigger. Maybe a joystick button on the top of the mirror controllers??? :shrug:

Yes, it's cool but if it's not being adapted for a turrit on the front of an ATV or truck mirrors I think I'd want a folding adjustable butt stock of some sort.

KKing

Full Access Member
Not really my thing, but cool nonetheless.
Is the lack of a stock (even though you have a giant buffer tube anyway) the only thing that officially makes it a pistol? I can't go to a website and get a 10" barrel without going through NFA procedures, so I'm trying to figure this all out.....
Yep, that's it, and the buffer tube. From what I read the safest bet is to get a strictly pistol buffer tube since I believe the law says "stock can't be readily attached" althought some just use a normal buffer tube with a cap on it. Most normally just build these as a gateway to SBR until their Form 1 gets back. Just kind of allows you to build an SBR, you can even put a "stock saddle" on. And still be legal, although I wouldn't.
4upy5y3u.jpg

An AR-15 receiver is an AR-15, so you did good and got it in the right place.
I'm a bit on board with Tacti, it looks like it's missing a stock, but it sure gave me a weird idea. You'll need to build 2 now. One for the left side and one for the right side. :laughing1:
Using power mirror motors on your truck, you can have ports on the front side of your mirrors, then simply shove that splined pole end into the ports on the mirrors, now you you can aim with your power mirror switches, left, right, up, down, :rofl: hmmm, now for a remote trigger. Maybe a joystick button on the top of the mirror controllers??? :shrug:
Yes, it's cool but if it's not being adapted for a turrit on the front of an ATV or truck mirrors I think I'd want a folding adjustable butt stock of some sort.

That sounds like some great zombie crowd control to me! If I didn't already have my RRA full length AR, I'd be building this one as a 16", but since I've got it I want it to have a little buddy to play with :signs6:

BTW, if anyone knows who makes the forearm on the first gun I posted from ar15, help a brotha out! I can't decide if I wanna run it or Magpul to save some weight

Last edited:

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Should be a cool build. Ive been debating on putting a pistol buffer tube on mine so I can shoot it while wIting for the tax stamp. Can't wait to see more pics of the slow build

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
ajarebep.jpg

apegesuh.jpg

My goal is to have it done and running well by Sept. 7th, which is my wedding day (I told you it'd be a slow build, right?). Figured I'd go ahead and start a thread since ill have parts coming in the next couple days and I'll have something to actually show. If nothing else, maybe the next guy that builds one can learn from the mistakes I'm sure I'll make. :smiley-face-popcorn

Those pistols are just straight up fun to shoot.

Here's mine in 300Blackout

A82DB72E-6E84-46F8-80BB-D430AF742F59-234-000000BA481BA4A4.jpg

I like them both. Kinda eliminates or changes my mind about wanting a Carbine. I think I'd rather just do this. Only advantage I see of a carbine, is shooting handgun ammo will be cheaper, and a bit easier to find than .223, but dayum, a .223 handgun, that would be badass.
Well said, just to keep the AR-15 company and have a little friend.
That's what my SIL said about his PX4 Baretta, to keep his CX4 Carbine company and they share the same mags.

KKing

Full Access Member
Those pistols are just straight up fun to shoot.

Here's mine in 300Blackout
A82DB72E-6E84-46F8-80BB-D430AF742F59-234-000000BA481BA4A4.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! Is that the Midwest Industries hand gaurd? Sure looks like it if not. I'm thinking about doing that very one in 10". I'm already planning my next one in .308, this could be bad lol

Should be a cool build. Ive been debating on putting a pistol buffer tube on mine so I can shoot it while wIting for the tax stamp. Can't wait to see more pics of the slow build

I'm excited, more so than I have about any weapon I've just bought off the shelf. I been lurking on your thread as well man, love keeping up with everything

I like them both. Kinda eliminates or changes my mind about wanting a Carbine. I think I'd rather just do this. Only advantage I see of a carbine, is shooting handgun ammo will be cheaper, and a bit easier to find than .223, but dayum, a .223 handgun, that would be badass.
Well said, just to keep the AR-15 company and have a little friend.
That's what my SIL said about his PX4 Baretta, to keep his CX4 Carbine company and they share the same mags.

Simple solution: build one of these in a pistol caliber! The only thing I don't like about these that are built in handgun calibers is they kinda look neutered because the magazines are so small where the go into the large opening of the mag well. Like this
b69200c56ae7b508f5c959726b08bf34_zps903dd66d.jpg

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
That's what I'm talking about! Is that the Midwest Industries hand gaurd? Sure looks like it if not. I'm thinking about doing that very one in 10". I'm already planning my next one in .308, this could be bad lol

I'm excited, more so than I have about any weapon I've just bought off the shelf. I been lurking on your thread as well man, love keeping up with everything

Simple solution: build one of these in a pistol caliber! The only thing I don't like about these that are built in handgun calibers is they kinda look neutered because the magazines are so small where the go into the large opening of the mag well. Like this
b69200c56ae7b508f5c959726b08bf34_zps903dd66d.jpg

Nawww, if spending that kind of cash, I'd rather just do the .223. For 1, I'd have to 1 up the SIL's CX4 Baretta 9mm Carbine, #2 After I told him how much sense it didn't make to have a handgun round in a carbine round.... :rofl: Which I did change my mind after I shot his CX4. But hey, if you're going to reach out and touch someone and show some love, I'd say the .223 will reach alot further than the 9mm would. If ammo ever settles down in availability, .223 shouldn't really cost but pennies more per round.

KKing

Full Access Member
Nawww, if spending that kind of cash, I'd rather just do the .223. For 1, I'd have to 1 up the SIL's CX4 Baretta 9mm Carbine, #2 After I told him how much sense it didn't make to have a handgun round in a carbine round.... :rofl: Which I did change my mind after I shot his CX4. But hey, if you're going to reach out and touch someone and show some love, I'd say the .223 will reach alot further than the 9mm would. If ammo ever settles down in availability, .223 shouldn't really cost but pennies more per round.

Understood, and I agree. I've got a carbine in 9mm but past ~100 yards, it's no bueno. Anyone have any experience with Rguns? I'm looking at getting a complete upper from there. Heck, may end up piecing together an upper as well, every complete one I see I'm gonna want to change the handguard out at least

Last edited:

tacticold

Full Access Member
Rguns has notoriously bad customer service, and I've heard the machining isn't great, either. But...that's all what I've heard. No personal experience.

Sent by my communicator

KKing

Full Access Member
I was afraid of that, makes sense they have stuff in stock. May end up biting the bullet and going with a RRA upper. I have plenty of time to see if things cool off, just no patience to do so

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
I have heard nothing good about them either. I have also heard that contrary to their website, their stuff is actually backordered. I have never dealt with them though.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Ok so my question is, where do you get a 10" upper for a pistol without having the do NFA stuff, since it isn't an NFA weapon.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Ok so my question is, where do you get a 10" upper for a pistol without having the do NFA stuff, since it isn't an NFA weapon.

You're correct... an upper is not a weapon, and therefore does not need a tax stamp and can be shipped to your door. Check gunbroker AR15 10 inch SBR Pistol Upper 223 5.56 AR 15 AR-15 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

Also, if you find a good enough deal(to offset shipping and machining costs) on a rifle length upper, we can shorten the barrel for you.

KKing

Full Access Member
One thing I'd add since I got nothing cool in just yet (BrothersInArms correct me if I'm wrong). The way I understand the laws you can never build a pistol from any AR lower that's been put assembled as a rifle. Even if you take the stock off you can't just change uppers and be legal, once it's a rifle it's always a rifle in the eyes of the BATFE. Unless you pay your $200 tax stamp. I been studying up :lol2:

Last edited:

tacticold

Full Access Member
You're correct... an upper is not a weapon, and therefore does not need a tax stamp and can be shipped to your door. Check gunbroker AR15 10 inch SBR Pistol Upper 223 5.56 AR 15 AR-15 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

Also, if you find a good enough deal(to offset shipping and machining costs) on a rifle length upper, we can shorten the barrel for you.

Do you guys have a website other than Facebook? I'm going to need a few things in a week or two (or at least start ordering them) and I'd like to check your inventory and support a vendor here.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
One thing I'd add since I got nothing cool in just yet (BrothersInArms correct me if I'm wrong). The way I understand the laws you can never build a pistol from any AR lower that's been put assembled as a rifle. Even if you take the stock off you can't just change uppers and be legal, once it's a rifle it's always a rifle in the eyes of the BATFE. Unless you pay your $200 tax stamp. I been studying up :lol2:

Eh, it's one of those grey areas. I'd have to call the ATF for concrete clarification...

"Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or re- assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made."

www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf.../atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

You know they word this crap like this just to mess with us lol.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Do you guys have a website other than Facebook? I'm going to need a few things in a week or two (or at least start ordering them) and I'd like to check your inventory and support a vendor here.

We started our site over a year ago, and it's still not finished lol. Just not enough hours in the day. The Saiga 12 and Glock sections are up, but that's about it Home Page

We're not much of a retail store so we don't stock much. We stick with our gunsmithing and custom stuff. Just let me know what you're looking for so I can keep a look out. We never know what's going to come walking through our shop on a given day.

Members online

No members online now.