Something a little different. My slow AR build

ViperJeff

Administrator
We started our site over a year ago, and it's still not finished lol. Just not enough hours in the day. The Saiga 12 and Glock sections are up, but that's about it Home Page

We're not much of a retail store so we don't stock much. We stick with our gunsmithing and custom stuff. Just let me know what you're looking for so I can keep a look out. We never know what's going to come walking through our shop on a given day.

Well, if you ever need help, let me know.

KKing

Full Access Member
FINALLY something to report. Parts are coming in slowly, as you guys know even if stuff is in stock, it takes forever to ship. Also as some of you know I'm struggling with either buying a G17 or just a complete 17 lower and a mech tech carbine upper to replace my 9mm carbine so it's something all the time. Got the lower mostly together, sans grip and ambi safety that I'm waiting on. I used DPMS lower parts kit, RRA pistol buffer, pistol tube and winter trigger guard. Magpul ASAP end plate/sling mount (not sure on that one). For my first lower I was really surprised how easily it went together. I have a Mission First G27 grip and a Magpul MOE coming as well to see what I like better. Several PMags on the way too. I'll probably decide on a handguard and order that this week. Choosing an upper is what I'm struggling with. I'm not sure I have the skill to build an upper but I also don't want to buy an upper that I'm going to have to change everything around on either. I'd like to go with a proven company for sure. I wish a company would offer a upper with internals but without a gas block or handguard, but you know what they say about wishing in one hand and crapping in the other.
Anyway, sorry it's not much, but right now it's all I got. The picture isn't too hot, but it's from le iPhone
8asysagu.jpg

Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Fact !!! If you get something inside of 10 days now, that's FAST. Usually 14-18 days seems to be the norm right now.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I have a upper receiver ordered that was only supposed to take 3 weeks to ship. It's been 4 weeks now and it still hasn't shipped so I'm starting to get pissed. If prices continue to drop on GB I'll cancel my order and get one I know will ship soon. I hate when people lie to me. If I would've been told 8 weeks and it shipped in 4 thats ok but not the other way around.

Why are you worried about building your upper? I'm picky about parts so I don't think I'll ever buy one assembled unless it's extremely cheap and for plinking or expensive and built for target shooting.

KKing

Full Access Member
I have a upper receiver ordered that was only supposed to take 3 weeks to ship. It's been 4 weeks now and it still hasn't shipped so I'm starting to get pissed. If prices continue to drop on GB I'll cancel my order and get one I know will ship soon. I hate when people lie to me. If I would've been told 8 weeks and it shipped in 4 thats ok but not the other way around.

Why are you worried about building your upper? I'm picky about parts so I don't think I'll ever buy one assembled unless it's extremely cheap and for plinking or expensive and built for target shooting.

I hear ya dude, it's a rough time to be into guns and shooting right now for sure. I'd rather have a company tell me they're unsure of when it will ship if that's really the case instead of picking a number out of thin air that they know they can't meet. I guess it's just that I've never assembled an upper myself, but then again I had never assembled a lower either lol. I think I could be happy with a complete upper from rock river with the options they give you on charging handles and such, it's just the exterior I'd change. But, I'm the type of gun that if I can watch someone do it, I can do it myself so I may start watching some videos on assembling the upper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KKing

Full Access Member
Nothing much to show I'm afraid, did finally get in the Magpul MOE grip in and put on. I'm still waiting on the G27 grip to see what I like better. I really like the rubber-ish texture of this one FWIW
qy6esete.jpg

Got my handguard in as well. Midwest Ind. free float. It's around 10.25" long.
a5ume7uq.jpg

Comes with a 4" rail and a 2" rail so it can be set up like so
3a4epyba.jpg

But I guess that's all I got. I have my magazines and ammo, just waiting for an upper. I kinda wish someone made a 10" upper, and I may very well just put my own upper together with a 10". My other option is a RRA 10.5" complete, but no one will get back to me about the lead times. Oh well, I'm in recon mode now, just satisfied I finally have the lower together.

Last edited:

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Progress is progress. One of my slow builds is turning out to be a super slow build. I've had a upper receiver ordered for 6 weeks that was "in stock" and was supposed to ship in 3 weeks. At least tbe guy has been quick to answer emails when I ask for updates so I'll give him more time since I'm out of town anyway. I love that handguard. :leghump:

Are you still looking for a barrel?

oppo

Full Access Member
Nice, I like that handguard. Also, if you like the rubbery textured grip, I would suggest checking out the ergo. I got that one and really like it.

KKing

Full Access Member
Progress is progress. One of my slow builds is turning out to be a super slow build. I've had a upper receiver ordered for 6 weeks that was "in stock" and was supposed to ship in 3 weeks. At least tbe guy has been quick to answer emails when I ask for updates so I'll give him more time since I'm out of town anyway. I love that handguard. :leghump:

Are you still looking for a barrel?

Mind me asking who you went with? PM me if you'd like. I like the feel of the handguard, I didn't need a ton of rails for this thing and its also one of the lightest I've found. I keep going back and forth between complete upper and building upper and using a 10" barrel. But yeah, I've had no luck with either

Nice, I like that handguard. Also, if you like the rubbery textured grip, I would suggest checking out the ergo. I got that one and really like it.
Thanks man, I'll check it out. Looks like I'll have several to choose from lol

Also got myself one of these...
geqybeqy.jpg

:evillol: :evillol::pepper::pepper::lazer::challenge:

Last edited:

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Mind asking who you went with? PM me if you'd like. I like the feel of the handguard, I didn't need a ton of rails for this thing and its also one of the lightest I've found. I keep going back and forth between complete upper and building upper and using a 10" barrel. But yeah, I've had no luck with either

Thanks man, I'll check it out. Looks like I'll have several to choose from lol

Also got myself one of these...
geqybeqy.jpg

:evillol: :evillol::pepper::pepper::lazer::challenge:

I bought it from shield tactical for a really good price so I can't complain about that. Guy told me they were in the process of moving their business from commifornia to Texas when I asked for a update. He said it was kind of a sudden thing so like I said I'll give him a little more time. If he rips me off at least I won't have to travel as far if he comes to Texas :biggun:. I have a spare .300blk barrel that's 10.5" that I need to move before buying something different. It's at a shop in Houston if your interested

KKing

Full Access Member
I bought it from shield tactical for a really good price so I can't complain about that. Guy told me they were in the process of moving their business from commifornia to Texas when I asked for a update. He said it was kind of a sudden thing so like I said I'll give him a little more time. If he rips me off at least I won't have to travel as far if he comes to Texas :biggun:. I have a spare .300blk barrel that's 10.5" that I need to move before buying something different. It's at a shop in Houston if your interested

Man, down the road I'd really like to have a .300blk upper for sure, but I don't think that'll do you any good now. I gotta get my ass focused on a 5.56/.223 first

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Man, down the road I'd really like to have a .300blk upper for sure, but I don't think that'll do you any good now. I gotta get my ass focused on a 5.56/.223 first

I hear ya. I already have one so I'll convert this to 7.62x39 which i already have one of but I want another. I've been planning a .223/5.56 but I need that upper receiver for it

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.