So Whatcha Doin' Today?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
You're going to have to tell me how your system is set up. Are your storing power in a battery bank or pumping it back into the grid?

ViperJeff

Administrator
Anything I generate that I don't use, I earn credits, so when I do have to use Idaho power, the cost most of the time is zero, until I run out of credit and earn more the next day. I should earn enough credits through the summer Where it will cover the bad days and short sunlight in the winter

Batteries and generator will be future additions. Batteries to get me through the nighttime hours and generators for those really bad storms, limited sunlight and down power grids. At that point, grid use will be very little with the batteries, the generator will be propane as it is the majority of what heats homes out here in the country and better to store for long periods of time....... will need to run a line to my BBQ... lol

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I need to pick up a couple grid tie inverters and start pumping some of our solar back onto the grid. I can't make our meter run backwards but I might be able to slow it down some.

oppo

Full Access Member
Well, I got a wild hair and ordered a welder. I am going tomorrow to pick up a boat trailer for $150 and then a big propane tank and try my hand at building a smoker. Now, I just need to learn to weld. :rofl:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Well, I got a wild hair and ordered a welder. I am going tomorrow to pick up a boat trailer for $150 and then a big propane tank and try my hand at building a smoker. Now, I just need to learn to weld. :rofl:

What kind of welder? Stick, MIG, TIG?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've got all three. Still can't weld worth a darn. I can stitch things together but it ain't always pretty. Haven't even cranked up the TIG welder yet. Need to start playing with it and see how I do.

You might want to get a tank of gas and some solid wire. I think there is less flux to deal with when set up that way. But the flux core wire is a good start to get the feel of things.

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
I've got all three. Still ca't weld worth a darn. I can stitch things together but it ain't always pretty. Haven't even cranked up the TIG welder yet. Need to start playing with it and see how I do.

You might want to get a tank of gas and some solid wire. I think there is less flux to deal with when set up that way. But the flux core wire is a good start to get the feel of things.
Yeah, gas and solid wire is supposed to make a little cleaner weld and I may eventually go that route. The main reason that I didn't is simply money. To step up to a similar machine with gas would have been over $300 more plus the bottle. It is also supposed to be more sensitive to the wind and all of my welding will be done outside. What I would really like to get next is a plasma cutter but that will have to wait a bit.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Yeah, gas and solid wire is supposed to make a little cleaner weld and I may eventually go that route. The main reason that I didn't is simply money. To step up to a similar machine with gas would have been over $300 more plus the bottle. It is also supposed to be more sensitive to the wind and all of my welding will be done outside. What I would really like to get next is a plasma cutter but that will have to wait a bit.

Big thumbs up on the plasma cutter. I bought a refurbished Harbor Freight unit off eBay and love it. Never use the torch anymore. Plug it in, attach the air hose and turn it on and you're cutting.
Eqk9dKv.jpg

oppo

Full Access Member
Well, I just took a gamble. There are some really cheap Chinese plasma cutters being sold on Amazon and eBay that can run off either 110 or 220 being sold under several different brand names but all by the same manufacturer. Surprisingly, the reviews are pretty good. There are even a bunch of YouTube videos of them and guys who paid $200-$300 and are happy with them, especially the newer ones with the pilot arc. I just ordered one direct from China for $135 shipped. If it works at all, it will be a heck of a bargain and pay for itself in nothing flat. If not, it was only $135. I will give an update when it gets here and I can try it out.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Went to Lowe's and bought a new OTR (over the range) microwave. Our old one bit the dust. Got a pretty fancy Samsung with all kinds of features. Of course it didn't mount like our old one meaning drilling new holes etc. which the template they send with it is off by about 1/2 inch.

Replaced some light switches in the kitchen since one of the three ways wasn't sending power to the other so we were having to walk back and forth trying to get the lights to come on. Replace another switch to the outside lights because it had broken. Added two bags of salt to the water softener. And replaced the batteries in the keypad door lock on the front door since it was beginning to act up.

Now at 3:45pm on Sunday, I'm starting my weekend. Hold on, wife just handed me paperwork I need to get in order for tomorrow. Back to work.

oppo

Full Access Member
Well, the Chinese deal didn't pan out so I ordered a Versa Cut 40 from Eastwood. It showed up today and I just got to play with it some. I am very pleased. The thing cuts 1/4 steel like butter and I don't even have it cranked up. With thin steel like a barrel, you can literally lay out a straight edge and drag the torch just like a pen, same speed too.

Members online

No members online now.