Love the Review on Hornady .40 S&W Hornady TAP FPD 155 Grain JHP

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I see where you're going with that explanation.

As I suggest to some, Would you rather get hit from behind by a 10 speed bicyclist moving at 35mph, or get hit from behind by a Semi Truck and Trailer weighing 80,000 lbs at 20mph? I"ll take the hit from the bicyclist doing almost double the speed of the Semi any day of the week. Speed/Velocity, just doesn't impress me. Of course a smaller round can move faster, it's light weight, it is easier to get it moving faster. Just like the bicyclist vs the Semi Truck taking off from a red light. Who crosses the intersection first? A good bicyclist will win that race all day long. However, I do know the velocity is one of the factor when figuring the equation. After all, 115gr x 0 is still 0, and so 180gr x 0 still zero. But I also know the bigger weight grain cartridges also get more put into them too, so you're not giving up as much as you'd think.

When I choose rounds, I try to consider all the factors. Velocity, Wt, Grain, Trajectory, and what's the purpose. Trajectory doesn't matter much for a self defense weapon, so why not go with the heavier round and get the kinetic energy However in this day and age, you don't get to choose anyway very often. You buy what the hell they have in stock that will chamber and fire in your weapon.

Last edited:

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I see where you're going with that explanation.

As I suggest to some, Would you rather get hit from behind by a 10 speed bicyclist moving at 35mph, or get hit from behind by a Semi Truck and Trailer weighing 80,000 lbs at 20mph? I"ll take the hit from the bicyclist doing almost double the speed of the Semi any day of the week. Speed/Velocity, just doesn't impress me. Of course a smaller round can move faster, it's light weight, it is easier to get it moving faster. Just like the bicyclist vs the Semi Truck taking off from a red light. Who crosses the intersection first? A good bicyclist will win that race all day long. However, I do know the velocity is one of the factor when figuring the equation. After all, 115gr x 0 is still 0, and so 180gr x 0 still zero. But I also know the bigger weight grain cartridges also get more put into them too, so you're not giving up as much as you'd think.

When I choose rounds, I try to consider all the factors. Velocity, Wt, Grain, Trajectory, and what's the purpose. Trajectory doesn't matter much for a self defense weapon, so why not go with the heavier round and get the kinetic energy However in this day and age, you don't get to choose anyway very often. You buy what the hell they have in stock that will chamber and fire in your weapon.

:pshyco::signs75:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Kyle's Gunshop - Secure Order Form

Found ya some, a littlre pricey at $40.00 but site says he has in stock but I think you need to be a LEO to buy these so read the fine print....

Wow, thanks.

you are welome...:waytogo:

Doh, I deleted my previous post. :idiot: Thread Skimming again !!!! GUILTY !!!

I thought you were speaking of the Winchester 180gr White Box Ammo I had asked about in another thread. :batman2: My bad !!!

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
BTW, for a 50 rd Box, I didn't think that ammo was pricey at all. Usually Self Defense or Duty rounds are just over $1 each and that being .45 even more. The .40 in that same brand and type was only $30 for 50 rds.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I picked up a box of 50 Federal Premium Law Enforceforent Tactical Ammo 124 P+P for 28.00 today.These are the older Hydro-shock but still great PD ammo
Muzzle Velocity (1170 fps)
Energy (ft-lbs) 375

link to Item, did not buy id from that shithole site..LOL
Ammo 9mm Federal JHP 124 Grain +P+ 50 Round Box Hydra Shok

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvJjw3gcAww]AT1 - 9mm Luger - Federal Hydra-Shok 124 Gr +P+ JHP - YouTube[/ame]

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Look like that they are all out of the Federal JHP 230 gr but I pick up two boxes of the Gold Dot 230 gr JHP for the short barrel XDs.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Look like that they are all out of the Federal JHP 230 gr but I pick up two boxes of the Gold Dot 230 gr JHP for the short barrel XDs.

good rounds, Heres review for ya

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frFfF-hWpxk]Speer Gold Dot .45 ACP 230 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/denim - YouTube[/ame]

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Wow, that is an awesome video on the speer dot so this is what I'm going to pack in my XDs for now on. Thanks again for finding this for me so I don't have to go with the federal hst because I still can't find any here.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Here is the same test with the same ammo by the same guy in the same Sim Test with 4 layers of denim to simulate heavy clothing. I do like what he has to say at .35, where he's taling about using 180gr vs 155 of 165 where many guys like to use due to being impressed by muzzle velocity. I won't get into that again, other than to say, I'll stick with my heavier slower bullet choice.

Speer Gold Dot .45ACP 230gr
Expansion .707 Avg
Penetration 12.5 inches

Speer Gold Dot .40S&W 180gr
Expansion .684 Avg
Penetration 13.625 inches

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39NDONv3MQY]Speer Gold Dot .40 S&W 180 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/denim - YouTube[/ame]

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Hell, While we're at it. Same guy, same SIM test with 4 layers of denim.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXfDcY-0gU]Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/denim - YouTube[/ame]

Expansion .707 Avg
Penetration 12.5 inches

Expansion .684 Avg

Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124gr
Expansion .614 Avg
Penetration 13.25 inches

Kinda cool to see the results from different calibers in the same type test. Same Shooter, same SIM test material with same 4 layers of denim, all rounds fired from Glocks. I did find other tests by him but they were done in Ballistics Gel instead of SIMs, so they wouldn't have been identical criteria testing. I was hoping to find the same test in standard 9mm instead of the +P.

That Gold Dot does appear to be some good ammo. Actually even better than the Hornady Critical Defense by a small margin. This guy is certainly a believer in Gold Dot.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
And now I found a test, Same Shooter, also a mid frame Glock, SIMs media and 4 layers of Denim.

Again, carrying down all the specs to make it easier to compare the different calibers. All very comparable tests. I am a bit impressed with the penetration of the .357Sig.

Expansion .707 Avg
Penetration 12.5 inches

Expansion .684 Avg

Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P 124gr
Expansion .614 Avg
Penetration 13.25 inches

Speer Gold Dot .357Sig 125gr
Expansion .572 Avg
Penetration 14.5 inches

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FOFnJVS0E].357 SIG Speer Gold Dot Ammo Test - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Here is the same test with the same ammo by the same guy in the same Sim Test with 4 layers of denim to simulate heavy clothing. I do like what he has to say at .35, where he's taling about using 180gr vs 155 of 165 where many guys like to use due to being impressed by muzzle velocity. I won't get into that again, other than to say, I'll stick with my heavier slower bullet choice.

Expansion .707 Avg
Penetration 12.5 inches

Expansion .684 Avg

Speer Gold Dot .40 S&W 180 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/denim - YouTube

Yeah I think that I want to stay with the 230 gr but I do have some 165 gr and some 185 gr by Honandy which is okay for now and the 165 gr the LGS sold them to me but I want go that low again. I went to the range today and shot some of the 230 gr Speer Gold Dot for short barrel and I really like those so for now on I will be going with those.

Members online

No members online now.