Love the Review on Hornady .40 S&W Hornady TAP FPD 155 Grain JHP

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I was thinking about doing some more stocking up on ammo, but need more self defense rounds since I have plenty of plinking target rounds.

This stuff looked cheap for Tactical Self Defense Ammo. Thought I'd read the reviews. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scroll down to about mid page and see the 1st review. I have lots of questions about that, but I guess you never know until your put into that position.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-531#Reviews

He gave it a 5 star, or in this case, a 5 cartridge rating. :rofl:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Mike K needs to practice more.

My thoughts exactly. How the hell do you get a leg and right leg at that. I'da been going for the center between the nips or left tit nipple. There again, I've not been in the scenario, so I can only say what I'd LIKE and HOPE to do. It's all real different in real life.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
The Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty seem to be very good defensive rounds. I carry them in all my defensive weapons.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
The Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty SEEM to be very good defensive rounds. I carry them in all my defensive weapons.

If you had got to shoot someone with them like Mike K did, then you'd KNOW for sure if they were good defensive rounds.

Reviewer: MIKE K
I have a cheap Hi Point 40 carbine. On the night of October 25th, I had a robber break in. I had the right to shoot, so I shot. He went down first shot, in the leg. Even though he wasn't killed by the bullet, he cannot move his right leg and the effectiveness was great.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
I read it. I want the time it took me to do so back.

The rounds work well out of my carry weapons. I practice with these rounds too, not just cheap stuff & then carry something else.

I'll continue to carry them.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=2386955

Might want to read, Unfortunately I have a box of this stuff laying around and now wish I didn't.

I read it. I want the time it took me to do so back.

The rounds work well out of my carry weapons. I practice with these rounds too, not just cheap stuff & then carry something else.

I'll continue to carry them.

I'll take blockdoc's word for it and not waste my time reading all of it. I did read the first post about Ammo not firing, and retried and still no fire. I try to be openminded and realize that anyone, and I mean and company whoever they are from the bottom of the barrel low quality to the highest quality company and their highest quality rounds. Chances are they don't make their primers and could have gotten a bad batch, they also could have gotten some bunk powder. A machine may have malfunctioned and even missed putting powder in some rounds before it was noticed etc. I will say it better be a very rare occurance or I will not be so forgiving.

Now if I bought 3 boxes at the same time, it's probably safe to say all 3 boxes will have the same failure if it's a primer issue. I'd expect replacement of the 2 unfired boxes and compensation of some sort for the failed rounds. Years ago I didn't mind a few bad rounds, but as expensive as ammo is today.. But you also won't get a retailer to do anything. You'll have to send it back to the manufacturer.

On the same note. When I buy Self Defense Ammo, I will buy 2 boxes at the same exact time. I'll shot off 14 rounds out of the first box of 20 leaving me a total of 26 rounds to load both of my 13 rounds mags and hope with no failures in the first 14 rounds the other 26 I'll be able to depend on my life. Always a good iidea to test at least a few rounds. People do error, and so do machines.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
Those posts were from 3 years ago, and appeared to be a primer issue. Some others complained about feed problems (or the potential thereof) from the rubber tip in the bullets.

The ammo has performed well in all my weapons. All the ballistic tests I've seen have been excellent.

Try it out in your gun(s). If you experience any failures, don't use it. I doubt you will have any failures though.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Those posts were from 3 years ago, and appeared to be a primer issue. Some others complained about feed problems (or the potential thereof) from the rubber tip in the bullets.

The ammo has performed well in all my weapons. All the ballistic tests I've seen have been excellent.

Try it out in your gun(s). If you experience any failures, don't use it. I doubt you will have any failures though.

True. It's very very rare I hear of defective ammo. Long ago, I did buy some Aquilia .38 Special ammo for dirt dirt cheap. It was gun show ammo. The seller was honest enough to say, this is so cheap cuz it's defective ammo. I'd use it for target practice ONLY. He was right. About 1 in 6 rounds did not fire from a defective primer. Being it was Revolver ammo, I didn't care, but I got the stuff for like $3 a box of 50 rounds, and at that time, a normal price would have been $8 a box. I bought 25 boxes of it. Still today, I have 2 boxes left. Just last month, my SIL wanted some .38 ammo for his Rossi and couldn't find any. I gave him 2 boxes of that stuff. Even at 15 years or so old, it was about the same ratio. 1 in 6 or 7 FTF. Still was good purchase IMO. It was fun and accurate.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I carry Critical Duty 135 grain +P in my 9mm and have no problems. I buy the 50 round boxes for $26 which is $2 more then the 20 round boxes locally. My friend and I went in together to buy some to share in the cost of shipping and have shot a good bit with zero malfunctions.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I carry Critical Duty 135 grain +P in my 9mm and have no problems. I buy the 50 round boxes for $26 which is $2 more then the 20 round boxes locally. My friend and I went in together to buy some to share in the cost of shipping and have shot a good bit with zero malfunctions.

That for sure is the way to buy ammo. I've been telling my Daugher/SIL, and one of their buddies, we need to get the 3 of us together and make an online ammo purchase ASAP, since it will about 2 weeks to get it.

That does sounds like a good price for Critical Duty ammo. Wonder what it costs in .40? I wasn't even aware CD ammo was available in 50rd boxes.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
One on the heavier weight 180 grain. I prefer the heavier weight for SD. More Kinetic energy on impact. weight retension also great. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzYHxpVAIs[/ame]

TScottW99

Full Access Member
We got ours from Targetsportsusa.com & they had .40S&W at the time in 50 count. Have not checked lately to see what's in stock. Budsgunshop.com also had it in 50 count at one time but their shipping was more.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
One on the heavier weight 180 grain. I prefer the heavier weight for SD. More Kinetic energy on impact. weight retension also great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzYHxpVAIs

Yep, that's my thinking. BUT, why when shopping for ammo, many times you'll see the same ammo, sold out of the 165gr but they have the 180gr. In the same ammo type of course and same price.

I've brought this up before. Why is everyone more impressed with Velocity? I know I can't outrun a bullet @1050 fps Muzzle Velocity (165gr), but I can't out run a bullet @ 905 fps either. Seems many will base their bullet choice based off of the Velocity, that faster is better. Just not true unless you're having a bullet race. So one is .08 slower to a 25yd target. A heavier bullet will more umph behind it all day long. So does that mean I always buy the heavier bullet??? NOPE. I also take into consideration of trajectory for accuracy purposes. I don't want one that is so heavy it has alot of drop due weight. Point is, it doesn't really matter how fast the bullet gets to the target. You're talking miliseconds difference. What matters is the energy and power the bullet has when it hits it's target.

So when does Velocity matter in comparison? When have 2 or 3 brands to choose from of the same wt grain. Safe to assume the faster fps, is probably a stronger charge. You might want a lighter load for a kid or girl to shoot, then go with the lower velocity round. JMO :shrug: You're all free to buy as wish.

But' it's all good. I don't want to convince anyone different. I like that the 180grains are last to go. If I'm late, usually what's left will be some 180gr on the shelf and the 165 is all gone. :waytogo:

blockdoc

Full Access Member
Yep, that's my thinking. BUT, why when shopping for ammo, many times you'll see the same ammo, sold out of the 165gr but they have the 180gr. In the same ammo type of course and same price.

I've brought this up before. Why is everyone more impressed with Velocity? I know I can't outrun a bullet @1050 fps Muzzle Velocity (165gr), but I can't out run a bullet @ 905 fps either. Seems many will base their bullet choice based off of the Velocity, that faster is better. Just not true unless you're having a bullet race. So one is .08 slower to a 25yd target. A heavier bullet will more umph behind it all day long. So does that mean I always buy the heavier bullet??? NOPE. I also take into consideration of trajectory for accuracy purposes. I don't want one that is so heavy it has alot of drop due weight. Point is, it doesn't really matter how fast the bullet gets to the target. You're talking miliseconds difference. What matters is the energy and power the bullet has when it hits it's target.

It stems from a poor understanding of energy versus momentum, and which matters more for a bullet.

Energy = mass x (velocity x velocity) {can't make the squared symbol on my phone}

Momentum = mass x velocity

Mass of a bullet is of little importance in determining energy. So people think energy, and thus velocity, is crucial.

I do not agree, and I think momentum matters considerably more. For example, I could shoot a deer with a .17 Mag with very high energy but little momentum, and it's almost guaranteed to run off. But if I use a 12 gauge slug, with much lower energy and much greater momentum, the deer literally gets knocked off its hooves.

I actually think a lot of the acceptance that energy matters so much comes from our military equipping our men with a fast moving .22, telling them things like it's effective because of its high energy, among other nonsense like the whole tumbling round garbage - which would have to completely defy the laws of physics.

One valid reason for a lighter projectile is as you mentioned - for less perceived recoil. And Einstein explained why that's the case (every action has an equal an opposite reaction - so you feel the same amount of push at the buttstock as whatever is down range). A lighter round produces less recoil (all other things being equal), and delivers less momentum.

Members online

No members online now.