Review: Wolf Military Classic 62 gr

Bluez

Full Access Member
This review is specifically about Wolf Military Classic in 62 gr

Other Wolf like PolyPerformance is specifically not included as it is made elsewhere.

But all or much of this review may apply to Colt Zinc 62 grain and Brown Bear/Silver Bear in 62 gr as they are made in the same factory Barnaul using the same bullets (all are available in HP or FMJ)

I been recommending this Ammo to my frinds for a while now.

Mostly based on price and the fact that it ran trouble free in my rifles despite being “evil” steel case.

So I think now is the time for a more thorough review;

Reliability: fired approx 3000-3500 rds thru my LWRC M6A2 and my SIG 516 w/o a single failure of any kind! :good:

No failures to feed, fire, eject or fully cycle the bolt!

Based on anecdotal evidence I always felt the 62 gr loaded russian rounds were loaded a bit hotter than their 55gr brethen.

(I can speculate that maybe this is so because for 55 gr they did not feel the need to use extra powder vs the 5.45mm , 53 and 50 gr fill they usually produce? but this is pure speculation)

A 223 Tula in 55gr or a PMC Bronze in 55gr might occasionally result in a failure to fully cycle my SIG 516 with the gas selector set to “normal”.

No such problems with Wolf Military Classic in 62 gr however.

Also I finally had the chance to check accuracy on this round.

I always expected this round to be ok in accuracy since the 62 gr is an ok fit to my 1 in 7 barrels and the lack of a penetrator vs M855 makes for a round thats easier to make properly, at a given price point.

This weekend I was going through some courses of fire which, while fast, at the end had a “capstone target”.

This was a 4 inch diameter metal plate at 100 yards.

I would usually be able to hit it on the first shot sometimes on the 2nd (we arrived at final target out of breath and even though while prone it was unsupported)

Being able to hit this 100 m target consistently means that the Point of Impact was not more than 2 MOA away from my point of AIM.

Which i think is pretty darn good for an economy round!!

The Wolf Military Classic in 62 gr is not the cheapest of the steel case ammo (that’s Tula in 55gr) but it is only 2-3 cents more per round and WELL WORTH the extra IMO especially since its still 5-7 cents a round cheaper than the cheapest brass cased ammo (which are 55gr remans)

In summary I highly recommend this round for economical yet reeasonably accurate shooting in training and consider it reliable enough to stash as a SHTF round.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I can report that your review rings true for the 55gr fodder as well. I've had good results running Wolf Military Classic in my Daewoo DR200.
It's just a tad cheaper than I get Silver Bear, and performs just as well. I'll be getting some more Wolf next time I need to stock up.

For all the snobs that look down there noses at steel cased ammo, there is some good value to be had there.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I haven't seen anything indicating that the expanded sanctions have affected ammo imports.........at least not yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts