Wanting a Remington 700ADL, Help me choose the caliber...

Which Caliber Choice to Purchase in a Remingon 700 ADL

• Total voters

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
As far as Bolt Action Centerfire Rifles, I currently have a Savage 110 in a 30.06, and I have Ruger Skeleton Stock Stainless Mark ll in a .300 Win Mag. Both are and have been great.

I've also been wanting to get a Remington 700 for a very long time and was thinking of getting one in a different caliber than 30.06 since I already have a 30.06. Figured with ammo shortages these days, might as well get something different so I always have another option to buy what's on the shelf and be something fairly common but not near as expensive as the .300 Win Mag. Then I got to thinking, I usually see some 30.06 about everywhere I go. Maybe not alot to choose from, but there is always 30.06 ammo. I was thinking of going with .270 since I always see lots of .270 ammo. Not a big selection as far as weight grain or bullet type options, but at least a large quantity in stock and it's priced the same as 30.06.

Then I also thought of going with a .308. The .308 isn't near as easy to find but it can be found, just not always, and if you do, not a big selection. Thinking if SHTF, there is likey going to be .308 or 7.62x51 laying around if a blue coat goes down. :shrug: Now I read conflicting articles that .308 and 762x51 are NOT interchangeable, and some that say indeed YES they are interchangeable. :shrug: Obviously I want to get one that I can get ammo for and be able to shoot it recreationally and be able to reasonably find and stock up on ammo, so I just about rulled out the .308 option for that reason. I figure if a blue coat goes down and I'm taking his ammo supply, chances are I can take his weapon too so I don't necessarily need the .308 for that reason and give more consideration to the 30.06 and .270 option. Also for SHTF scenarios I have AK-47 and SKS's for that and do intend to build an AR-15 sometime between now and the end of the year.

Now that you've read all my thoughts, help me decide what caliber to get Remington 700ADL with Synthetic Stock. So very close to the 700SPS you may as well consider it an SPS. Am I thinking wrong about the .308 and that's the one, or should for commonly found .270 to have another ammo option, or should I got with the 30.06 since I already have a small stock pile of 30.06 ammo, and can just concentrate on stock piling 30.06 that can be shot in 2 of my longer range hunting style rifles?

Please Vote and tell me your opinion. If I had my way, I'd just buy one of each, but you know, that's a bit ridiculous and my pockets not near that deep.

The one I'm looking at comes in the following calibers.
.243 Win
.270 Win *
25.06 Rem
7mm Magnum
.308 Win *
30.06 Springfield *

Academy - Remington 700 ADL .30-06 Springfield Bolt-Action Centerfire Rifle

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
I would say 270 or even the 243 or 25-06 since you already have the 06 and mag. It would give you more vetsatility.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I agree with Oppo

You already have the Magnum covered with the 300 in case you go for bigger game such as Elk or Moose.

The 30-06 is the great "all-around" cartridge for anything deer sized.

I would consider a flat shooting cartridge in the mid .200 range for varmit sized critters.

maybe even .22-250 or .223

Or the old workhorse 7mm Mauser if available.

As for the .308/7.62Nato compatibility. It seems to depend on the rifle. I know guys that have been swapping the 2 cartridges for years and haven't had issues. But other guys claim that their bolt guns don't like 7.62 fodder. I'm of the idea that .308 can be shot in a 7.62 bolt gun, but it is not advised to do the opposite??

Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I would say 270 or even the 243 or 25-06 since you already have the 06 and mag. It would give you more vetsatility.

That was the original idea, was to go .270 for that reason.

Then the thoughts of the .308 came about, but as I typed above, I think I talked myself out of the .308 option. 30.06 was only thought of so I wouldn't have to stock up on another caliber.

So unless someone as a good reason why, I've pretty much eliminated .308 already. Now torn between the .270 or 30.06. What I like about 30.06, and I think everyone needs a 30.06 rifle, is because of the all the different bullet types and weight grains available. You can from little high velocity bullet to a heavy big game slow bullet.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
30.06 got my vote for the following reasons

1. You already have a 30.06 so buying ammo is easier
2. 30.06 ammo is fairly easy to find right now
3. May not be the best performer on your list but it's not bad

What do you want to use the rifle for?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator

Yes, that's the 2 advantages I see too. The fact I already have about 400 rounds of 30.06 and can add more to the stock that will shoot in both rifles.

As far as performer, The 30.06 actually can be one of the best performers. Being it's so diverse and can be gotten in so many different weight grains you can pretty much pick the performance you want and matching up the weight grains with the other calibers, it's just about neck and neck as far as velocity, energy and trajectory. You can go with a light weight grain for higher velocity and very little drop in trajectory, or go with a heavier weight grain and have massive energy a bit more drop. The hot performers like the 7mm Mag and .300 Win Mag, are expensive rounds that I'm not likely to purchase a stock pile of. That's why all things considered, I've narrowed it down to the 30.06 or .270 and both are the same cost for the ammo.

I guess I just need to decide whether I want to have another caliber option or keep adding to the current stock pile of 30.06.

kwo51

Full Access Member
There is a caliber conversion from 30:06 to 308 for when the blue hats deliver it to you.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
How much are you looking to spend on rifle and optics? A buddy of mine was looking to sell his remington 700 in 300 win mag (I know this isn't one you're wanting right now) with a nice scope for a really good price. I can see if it's still available if you or anyone else might be interested. He wanted $800 for all of it and claimed the scope was worth $1k

IMG_6867.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
Conversion is a insert in the breach that will allow 308 rounds. You would need a broken shell extractor to remove it. 308 and 30:06 are both 30 cal. Brownells or gun store.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
How much are you looking to spend on rifle and optics? A buddy of mine was looking to sell his remington 700 in 300 win mag (I know this isn't one you're wanting right now) with a nice scope for a really good price. I can see if it's still available if you or anyone else might be interested. He wanted $800 for all of it and claimed the scope was worth $1k

IMG_6867.jpg

The rifle will be $379.99 at Acadamy with a model # of 700ADL, but appears to have all the specs but one as the 700SPS. For the price can't beat it. I was thinking in the $300 range for the scope since I'm getting old and vision declining. That looks to be a nice one that can reach out and touch someone, but yeah, wrong caliber and over the budget. It does give me an idea though. I could just buy the rifle, and the tripod to my daughters old telescope broke in the tornado. I could just duct tape it to the new rifle. :shrug:

Conversion is a insert in the breach that will allow 308 rounds. You would need a broken shell extractor to remove it. 308 and 30:06 are both 30 cal. Brownells or gun store.

Cool to know it exists, I wasn't aware of that. :waytogo:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator

Doh, I guess I never did splain what it's going to be used for. At my dad's 160 acre piece of property. The biggest game he has there that we're aware of is deer, and then probably longer range varmit control, like coyote, and beaver which is also why I was tending to lean toward the .270 and having another caliber for diversity. But, I can still use a light weight grain 30.06 for the same.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
The rifle will be $379.99 at Acadamy with a model # of 700ADL, but appears to have all the specs but one as the 700SPS. For the price can't beat it. I was thinking in the $300 range for the scope since I'm getting old and vision declining. That looks to be a nice one that can reach out and touch someone, but yeah, wrong caliber and over the budget. It does give me an idea though. I could just buy the rifle, and the tripod to my daughters old telescope broke in the tornado. I could just duct tape it to the new rifle. :shrug:

He finally called me back last night and said he's not sure if he wants to sell it or not. Next week he'll want to keep it and the week after that he'll want to sell again. I guess it's a timing thing.

Doh, I guess I never did splain what it's going to be used for. At my dad's 160 acre piece of property. The biggest game he has there that we're aware of is deer, and then probably longer range varmit control, like coyote, and beaver which is also why I was tending to lean toward the .270 and having another caliber for diversity. But, I can still use a light weight grain 30.06 for the same.

Gotcha. I was just thinking it would be easier to have the same caliber unless it was needed for a specific use. This is coming from a guy that only owns two firearms that are the same caliber and one may be for sale when the other is finished. Go figure

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
He finally called me back last night and said he's not sure if he wants to sell it or not. Next week he'll want to keep it and the week after that he'll want to sell again. I guess it's a timing thing.

Gotcha. I was just thinking it would be easier to have the same caliber unless it was needed for a specific use. This is coming from a guy that only owns two firearms that are the same caliber and one may be for sale when the other is finished. Go figure

$379.99 for a New Remington 700 is pretty cheap. I've talked myself out of the .308 already. So I'm thinking the decision is made and it's a simple one. Just buy which one Academy has in stock first, and go back next week and get the other. So what's wrong with having 2 of the same rifle, just in different calibers. :shrug:

Members online

No members online now.