S&w .500

oppo

Full Access Member
I have 2. Start reloading and hire a porter to carry it for you. Back when they first came out and I saw the ballistics, I thought I had to have one till I actually saw one in person. The damn thing was huge. I thought "nah, might as well just carry a rifle." The 4" version is tempting though.

ninja man

Full Access Member
the 500 isnt that bad of a recoil. i have the exact same gun you are talking about. the smaller loads are not much more than a hot 44 load. however, the 440 grain buffalo bore rounds will definitely give a bit more kick. its mostly the palm of you hand that takes the beating. not so much the wrist and elbow. but make sure you get the one that has the compensator at the end of the barrel. i put about 25 shots down range at my last outing and had no problems whatsoever with recoil. a bit of advice though, if you are using the buffalo bore rounds, do not load a full cylendar. the rounds are so big that the casing expands after being fired. so when ejecting the spend casings afterwards, you will have one hell of a time. i had to put a spend 9mm casing on the ejection rod and used a makeshift hammer. i usually load 2-3 at a time and its still a bit tight, but no hammer needed. i shoot this gun on a regular basis. its my favorite hand cannon. cabelas has some good deals on ammo for it. i just spent $1800 on ammo and the 500 was about $2 a shot.

oppo

Full Access Member
$2 a shot... (cringe)

I remember my first trip to the range with my .454, $150 for 60 rounds. That was the day I decided to start reloading.

Arckadian

I have actually used that weapon and ya the recoil is not that bad actually. The barrel with vented ports is a must have. Not sure where you will get one can look around though.

HANKTHETANK

Thanks for the replies, all good info and just what I was looking for. I'll keep you posted when I find one. I've been doing some research on the comparison between the .500 and the .460 XVR.

oppo

Full Access Member
Imho, I can see carrying a 4" 500 as a sidearm for large animals. The 460 on the other hand seems more at home with a long barrel and maybe optic as a primary hunting arm.

Last edited:

HANKTHETANK

Saw a Ruger 454 Casull today, damn nice gun!! I'll prob never have a "need" for such a powerful revolver but wanting one is good enough reason for me. Who knows, the way the world is turning, that "need" may be coming sooner rather than later.

FloridaGuy

I was looking at picking up a 500 Magnum but I decided to go with a S&W .460V Magnum. This firearm is more versatile since you can shoot 3 different cartridges from the same gun.

Attachments

• 163465_spec.jpg
    163465_spec.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8

Full Access Member
I was looking at picking up a 500 Magnum but I decided to go with a S&W .460V Magnum. This firearm is more versatile since you can shoot 3 different cartridges from the same gun.

That is one nice piece, I like it alot.

FloridaGuy

That is one nice piece, I like it alot.

The only downside is that I will have to wait until my LGS can get one in for me. If it takes as long as it did for them to get the S&W 986 for me it will take about 6 months. Where if I would have selected the 500 I could have it now.

FloridaGuy

I got some good news today at my LGS. They will have my S&W .460 Magnum in sometime in September. Can't wait till I have it in my hands.

Members online

No members online now.