Military Guns

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
That is the first I have heard of that. Do you remember what the requirements were? I can't seem to find anything like that on the internet.

Hum,
The testing we did was back in the early 80's. Off the top of my head we had to burry the weapon in the sand, shake it out and then fire several hundred rounds, freeze it in a block of ice, break it out and fire it, submerge it in water the fire, fire 10k consecutive rounds without cleaning, accuracy firing, etc. We tested firearms from S&W, Colt, SIG, Glock, Beretta, HK, and a couple more I don't remember.

We had two testers per weapon then each weapon was rotated through each team. This was replicated across all branches of the military. All results were then combined and reviewed. This was done to eliminate any brand bias. Beretta bombed across the board but was so much less expensive they landed the contract. The top three were Glock, SIG, and HK.

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Very interesting. Do you think the failures had to do with early design issues such as the "specially" coated magazines and slide issues?

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Very interesting. Do you think the failures had to do with early design issues such as the "specially" coated magazines and slide issues?

Failures were across the board. Magazine issues, broke parts, catastrophic failures, you name it we saw it.

I haven't followed Beretta's evolution since then. We were the lucky few that were issued SIG's as a sidearm until the HK SOCOM came to us.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
One of Murphy's laws of combat is never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.

Arckadian

I worked on Humvee's...... just remember to carry a set of metic wrenches with you because the half shaft is always loose. Those things are horrible peices of crap. That being said... about half of the failures were due to grunts thinking they were driving tanks.

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Failures were across the board. Magazine issues, broke parts, catastrophic failures, you name it we saw it.

I haven't followed Beretta's evolution since then. We were the lucky few that were issued SIG's as a sidearm until the HK SOCOM came to us.

Silver, if you get a chance try and catch up with the evolution of the 90 series. I think it has come a long way. And I'd certainly value your opinion about the pistol. It is by far my favorite because of its excellent reputation amongst gun enthusiasts and military members.

fyredawg

I concur loved my 1911 was not happy when they took it for that damn Beretta.

This is the first I'm hearing that a humvee is in fact not a tank...I had more issue with my Bradley. Now that is a pos!...if only I could have had the bushmaster fitted to the humr :D

Humvee21

Full Access Member
I concur loved my 1911 was not happy when they took it for that damn Beretta.

This is the first I'm hearing that a humvee is in fact not a tank...I had more issue with my Bradley. Now that is a pos!...if only I could have had the bushmaster fitted to the humr :D

Hahaha

You deffenitly cant beat the old school Springfield M1 Garand, we practicly won a world war witht this weapon, it was reliable and had the knock down power with great grouping. I love to shoot the M1, but in the mordern battlefield the M4 would be my choice, i would have more rounds to send down range and could have the oppertunity to retreve ammo on the battle field because it uses a common caliber.
I have to say tho an M1 is more enjoyable to shoot and i would rather do my M1 competitions any day than a comp with my M4

Hooah

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts