Military Guns

GarandMaster

Let's see if we can get a discussion going on this.

My favorite military rifle is the Garand. Because I believe the .30-06 to be superior to the .308 or the 5.56 calibres.

Also the garand can shoot all day long without having any cool down periods.

I also like the knockdown with both the 06 and the 308.

I get the AR is lighter both as a weapon and its ammo and I am not dissing this platform. It's a highly functional killing machine.

But if there was these three guns lying on a table an M1D, M21 and an M4. I'd pick up the M1D.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I have no experience with the M1D or M21 so I can't comment on those. The M4 is a decent weapon but I'm partial to the M249 SAW

Arckadian

Well when I was in the service I got the chance to use a few different types of weapons.... if we are limiting the favs to just hand guns and rifle type weapons.... I actually was very much liking the the M-16A2 since it was the primary weapon I got a chance to use. I have fired the M60 Machine Gun in basic and it was a blast but cool down was definately an issue. I wish I had gotten a chance to use a Garrand though... I have heard nothing but good about that rifle. Very accurate and reliable.

moodster

Full Access Member
I have a garand from 1942.
Amazing this gun looks as good as it does.works flawlessly.
Might get another.

TheOl55

Full Access Member
Garrand or M14 (M21) out in the open and for distance. M4, Door to Door. I still like my H&K91.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I am currently running a 7.62 AR variant. While in the military I had several assigned weapons. My favorite to play with was a suppressed MP5. M203 is also a fun one. Absolute tops of the fun scale for me is the M134.

kwo51

Full Access Member
M14 for me. The 106 recoilless rifle was neat too.Big bullets make big holes.Magazine feed garand would be nice or BAR. I also like 30.06. Ma-duce

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
If we are talking US military rifles and actual hostile environment, I'll take an M4.
I love the M1 and M14 (I own both) But they are heavy, long, and in the case of the Garand have a pretty low ammo capacity. I would rather have the light weight and 30 rounds of a modern assault rifle than the larger cartridge/longer range of the older rifles.

Given my choice of any rifle in the world, I'd choose the Daewoo K2 of South Korea. Just because my DR200 has been as reliable as the sunrise for the past 15+ years

kwo51

Full Access Member
Door to door that short barrel saga would be neat.Nothing wrong with the AK either.The M4 of today is a whole different weapon from its first issue peace of s--t.Men died due to its early lack of reliability and today from its lack of killing ability. Nato the nice warrior. BS BS BS .Big bullets make big holes.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
I've never had any love or respect for the 5.56. I only need high ammo capacity in a target rich environment. Then I can use multiple magazines.

The M1 and M14 are solid.

And if you're not gonna be packing it around, the ole Browning M2 is awful tough to beat.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
And while you are reloading, you just might catch one of those little 62gr projectiles in your backside.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the 5.56NATO either. Given my choice I'd pick something a bit more powerful (6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC come to mind)

But when/if baddies are shooting back, I'd rather not give 30 rounds for 20; and I'll be damned if I'm trading it for 8, no matter how powerful each of those eight cartridges may be.

Also, if fighting within a squad, you need enough mag capacity to cover the movement of your mates.

Small spaces, urban environments, armored vehicles, etc, also demand a smaller weapon.

Sure in a perfect world we could choose a weapon the size of a MP5 with the power of a M1 and the capacity of a M249:shooter:

blockdoc

Full Access Member
Sure, ask the Germans about charging a position upon hearing the sound of an M1 clip hitting the ground.

US Special Ops still use M14's - until very recently as as a primary weapon.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Sure, ask the Germans about charging a position upon hearing the sound of an M1 clip hitting the ground.

US Special Ops still use M14's - until very recently as as a primary weapon.

The M1 clip thing has never actually been confirmed. The ejecting clip cannot be heard from more than a few metres away even in a quiet environment? Heck, even on the range, it can barely be heard over the other shooting in the area. It is a "fault" that is greatly over-exagerrated.

As for the M14. You must define "primary weapon." Yes, it is carried as the main weapon by some troops. But it's use is actaully quite limited, even among Special Operations.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Lets just nuke them and send no troops.Crew served weapons are nice.Clean up on isle Africa.

Arckadian

The M1 clip thing has never actually been confirmed. The ejecting clip cannot be heard from more than a few metres away even in a quiet environment? Heck, even on the range, it can barely be heard over the other shooting in the area. It is a "fault" that is greatly over-exagerrated.

As for the M14. You must define "primary weapon." Yes, it is carried as the main weapon by some troops. But it's use is actaully quite limited, even among Special Operations.

Send a suggestion to the Mythbusters about the clip thingy :D that would be fun to see because I am sure they will oversize it and have biiiiiig guns out there firing to see if you can still hear the clip fall.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
My favorite is the Beretta 92... Ok 1911 guys... Bring it on :Angry:

Funny thing about the Beretta is that it is the only pistol for fail all the the military's requirements to replace the 1911. They won on price alone. I know this first hand as I was one of the testers.

Humvee21

Full Access Member
That is the first I have heard of that. Do you remember what the requirements were? I can't seem to find anything like that on the internet.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Made in a UN friendly country.Florida quit using them because they stopped producing them in 40 cal. They went to 45 gap .Go figure.

Members online

No members online now.