Do you carry with one in the pipe?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Interesting conversation going on about the condition they carry their guns in.

Empty chamber or one in the pipe?

I carry in whats known as Condition-1. One in the pipe. God forbid I ever need to, I don't want to have to take the time to rack the slide. Pull, click safety off (if the gun has one), pull trigger. In some cases you might not have time to rack the slide depending on how quickly things are going bad.

So whats your favorite way to carry?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I always have one in the pipe when I carry.

Does your gun have a thumb safety? My Taurus PT740 Slim does. It gives me that little extra piece of mind since I carry appendix. My XD's only have the grip and trigger safety. So they are pull & fire. No extra step in taking the safety off. I still carry them Condition-1. They all ride in a holster which has the trigger covered so that nothing could accidentally discharge them.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Carrying without one in the chamber is kind of like saying "I'll wait to put on my seatbelt until I see that I am going to crash."

The handgun should be ready to be used immediately with the use of only the shooting hand. You may already be struggling with the assailant, need your off hand to push someone away, or block an attack.

kwo51

Full Access Member
I have some guns with no safety in that I carry on belt clips in the waist band condition 2. Holstered guns condition 1.

Arckadian

I always use a holster and I have my weapons in Condition 1. Better to be prepared than the need it and realize you don't have time to pull that slide back before your dead.

kwo51

Full Access Member
How true but deep cover will not allow it always. I like on the waist band carry of 1911 but it does not always work that way.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Always one in the pipe, no safety on any of Glocks. I see no reason to not have one chamber ed, chances are you are gonna be within 3-5 feet of your assailant. Not enough time to put into battery in my eyes. Draw and point and shoot.......
Concealed 27

cce1302

Full Access Member
Yes, always one in the chamber.

Unless it's a revolver. Then one in each chamber (6 or 8).

My only carry gun with a safety is my 1911. I carry it cocked & locked.

kwo51

Full Access Member
But do you carry a revolver cocked, 1911 with safety off and the grip safety pinned? My glocks are great guns but when I carry one without the trigger covered it is in condition 2,especially the one with the reduced trigger pull on it. Most AD occur when holstering.If someone is on me and needs to be removed he will be cut before being shot.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Does your gun have a thumb safety? My Taurus PT740 Slim does. It gives me that little extra piece of mind since I carry appendix. My XD's only have the grip and trigger safety. So they are pull & fire. No extra step in taking the safety off. I still carry them Condition-1. They all ride in a holster which has the trigger covered so that nothing could accidentally discharge them.

My duty weapon is a Glock, no external safety. Jacket weather is a Sig Sauer P245 no external safety. Short weather is a S&W 642 no external safety.

I do have a Ruger LC9 that is getting used more with a thumb safety and a 1911 with a thumb safety. Though I don't carry them as much as the above three. Good holsters, proper handling and follow the rules of gun safety and all is well.

kwo51

Full Access Member
That is what I see is like caring a gun condition 1 with out a trigger cover or heavy trigger.Some older 1911 people disabled their palm safety for carry.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Belt clips are great I just can't get passed condition 2 with it. I know many who have. I go places where it is either a paddle holster or clip for law requirement.

ViperJeff

Administrator
I also carry in condition 2. The reason may seem wrong, however, I never seem to be in a position to need to be in condition 1.

At home, my .45 MAG is always in condition 1

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I have some guns with no safety in that I carry on belt clips in the waist band condition 2. Holstered guns condition 1.

I carry one in the pipe. 2 reasons, 1 I'm ready to go and by god, if I'm in a situation that warrants bringing it out, then I'm pulling the trigger. Not much of a threatening type at all as to where, if you don't stop... I'm going to shoot you. So if it comes out it ready to go NOW !!! and 2, gives me that added 1 round of capacity. I have faith in my Glock it's not to fire unless I pull the trigger and want it to.

But this does make sense if carrying in a waist band. Certainly wouldn't want to blow your dick off, and if it snags and you're pushing and pulling on it to get it freed from your waist band there is the slight possibility of unintended fire.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts