A round in the chamber of a Glock 36

Bart

Several months ago I bought a new Glock 36. With only a second trigger as a safety I'm concerned about having a round in the chamber. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
No need to worry, most glock unintentinal discharges happen during reholstering. I have a G19,G23, & G27 and i carry a full mag plus one in the chamber. Just be careful reholstering is my advice to ya. Hope that helps, Concealed 27

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Keep your gun in the holster while donning and removal. I have a Glock 30 and carry it appendix style. I'm not concerned of a ND because the trigger is covered by the holster and nothing can trip it. Other than that, keep your finger off the trigger until you have your target acquired.

Carry with an empty chamber until you are comfortable/confident with handling your gun.

Bart

Thanks to both of your two replies. I don't use a holster. I bought one and also bought a spring steel clip that mounts on the right side of the slide. It cuts down on the wideth of the concealed. During these winter months I believe I may go back to the holster, then I'd feel more comfortable with one in the chamber.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Thanks to both of your two replies. I don't use a holster. I bought one and also bought a spring steel clip that mounts on the right side of the slide. It cuts down on the wideth of the concealed. During these winter months I believe I may go back to the holster, then I'd feel more comfortable with one in the chamber.

Personally, I would not carry with one chambered without the trigger protected somehow. I just don't want to risk something getting inside the trigger guard and tripping the trigger. Having a ND while carrying appendix could be life altering.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
The only way possible for a Glock to fire is by depressing the trigger. That said I would not carry any gun without a round in the chamber and the trigger covered. An empty chamber may cost you your life. An uncovered trigger may cost you your life.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Agreed with both of the above members, you can get slim holsters there is alot out there I live in Florida and carry a holster with every gun even thought it hot as hell, would rather be a little uncomfortable than putting a 45 ACP in my croch.....just another 2 cents 4 ya......
Concealed 27

Arckadian

I agree that a holster or something that can protect the trigger from accidently being pulled would be a good idea. I recommend a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster. Even though expensive, they are worth every penny. Or as a good alternative, look at what High Noon Holsters has, I have heard very good responses about their equipment.

Bart

I always try to stay alert, even at home. That said, I think I'll keep the chamber empty unless I feel a threat is imminent.
Thanks for the info. My other guns "Bersa .380 has a safety position on the hammer and I don't have a problem with one in the chamber. This one without a holster is gonna stay clear chambered.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I hope you are not making a big mistake. If threatened on the street (or elsewhere) the probability of you having the luxury of chambering a round is very low. You may not have the use of 2 hands, you may be already struggling with the attacker or need your off hand to push back an advance or shield yourself or someone else.
There are enough things to go wrong at that point without adding the fact that your defense weapon is not usable out of the gate. It's kind of like saying, "I'll put my seatbelt on if I see that I am going to crash.

Things happen very, very quickly. Anyone who has ever been in a fight will attest to that.

If you are not wiling to carry the Glock at ready, I would advise sticking with the Bersa.

JMO

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
You might consider something like this. It's small but guards the trigger and you can still use the clip that you already have.

IMG_0437.jpg

Bart

In the winter months I can carry my unregistered Colt All American 2000. It's got 15 rounds with one in the camber and a safety. By next summer we see.
I agree with everything you've said Joe 6'r. I'm going to look into those other holsters. I don't remember the brand I bought as it's been in the gun safe a few days after I got the 36. Who knows I may sell this off and get a 1911. At half cock it's safe and not much bigger than this 36. Or keep it and get the '11

WTH(eck) I started this post and addressed it several times. Now I get a message saying that the moderator must approve before I can post.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I like this style holster. I've got one for each of my pistols. It's got good retention and stays clipped to my belt. Great for appendix carry. It's leather. Made by Tagua. And they don't cost much.
m6H1FqNo_F0lYFRNUBqmgaw.jpg

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I have been carrying a Glock for 12 years, always with a round in the chamber. I'm also a Glock armorer. Simple steps as with any gun will keep you safe.....
Keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless ready to shoot.
Always make sure your pistol is empty when you are going to disassemble. I have personally seen a negligent discharge during a cleaning on the police range. Since you have to dry fire to dissemble.
Choose your holster wisely. A few discharges over the years when a retention strap got into the trigger guard. Most however are fingers in the trigger guard when reholstering.

The Glock system is simple to work on. Works when you need it to and is safe. Enjoy!!

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Negligent discharge is ND. Doing that while appendix carrying would leave one, let's say singing soprano

cce1302

Full Access Member
A couple rules I follow when I'm carrying:

1. Always use a holster.
2. Keep a round in the chamber.
3. The trigger "safety" is not a safety.

Bart

When I got the Glock I also got a JBP model 212 holster. After getting the slide clip that a friend told me of, I put the holster away. I'm thinking I need to get it back out. Is there an opinion about this holster? It's leather. I can see where the retention strap, of the holster, could cause the pistol to fire if one is not watchful when holstering it. As I use it inside the waist band, it almost impossible to reholster it without removing the holster and from IWB. Reholstering it and then putting it back Inside the waist band.

By the way, what does "appendix" mean? In front??

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.