Proposing a skills classification system for the tactical Rifle

Bluez

Full Access Member
All,

I have found that at times when we talk about "guys we know".. that we "went shooting with" .. "great shooter" etc we often find ourselves into this needlessly lengthy description were we think he may be in shooting skill.
Same when we assess the training level of our own guys.. So I propose 4 skills levels to use as a shorthand to accurately describe citizen skill levels with the Tactical Carbine.

1 - Skill Level 1: An individual owns a Tactical rifle (usually an AR15 but others ok), a reasonable modicum of magazines. He knows how to load the rifle.
He may not be particularly quick or smooth about it. at times maybe even make an error on occasion but generally gets it done.
Under low stress situations he can aim and hit targets and shoot with some reasonable speed..
Though an increase in speed may widen the spread of his groups to an unacceptable level.
In other words he can only have a high hit probability in a low stress /low speed environment, shooting at somewhat slow pace.

He generally does not own a battle belt or chest rig or if he does does not practice with it. Skill level 1 may only be trained to shoot well under the most comfortable shooting positions. From the free standing he will have minimal accuracy.
This likely describes 90% of citizen shooters.

My description is as not meant in a judgmental way. Someone with Skill Level 1 is still far above the unarmed public and in a favorable situation, can still accomplish some basic but important defensive tasks.

2 - Skill Level 2. This is the level of skill of your graduate of one or two of your standard Carbine classes as offered by many commercial schools..
He can execute magazine changes without difficulty. He knows how to quickly shoot from the free unsupported standing (in addition to sitting/kneeling/prone) with some degree of routine and significantly improved hit probability vs a skill level 1.

He may struggle with most malfunctions clearances, but he knows these procedures exist and can sometimes clear the easiest mal functions on his own without help.

He knows the difference between an Emergency reload and a Tactical reload though he may still struggle a bit with both.
His shoots faster than Skill level 1 while still maintaining a reasonable degree of hit probability, He has been exposed to different shooting positions and has trained with his support rig.
He is competent to configure a rifle to his liking and he can reload his rifle in the dark (though he may still find it this challenging on occasion)

IMO this is also a skill level typical for most non combat arms active duty folks in Army and USMC (Navy and USAF outside of unique organizations is often much lower) or a combat arms guy who has been out a few years and has not kept up with his rifle skills.
Some of he lower end SWAT teams may field members at this level.

3 - Skill Level 3

At this level we have someone who has repeatedly and recently practiced to exploit cover. He knows how to pie off angles, how to pop up and quickly shoot from behind cover ( or concealment) or along ts edges.

He has practiced to shoot under conditions of stress and/or being heavily winded..He still knows how to shoot and hit targets at common tactical ranges when his face is covered in sweat and his breathing is labored.

This shooter can transition easily and quickly between different firing positions, prone, kneeling, crouch, and standing..He knows how to properly exploit windows and similar openings.....All his weapons handling is routine. He has no problems at all reloading his rifle in the dark.
He can clear all common malfunctions with confidence.
He knows what he likes for sights beyond irons... his shooting OODA loop is also shortened vs Skill level 2.

His emergency reloads and tactical reloads are routine and 2nd nature.

Skill level 3 generally requires some significant round counts to achieve and maintain.
IMHO this skill level likely describes most members of the better SWAT Teams and most (but not all!) active duty infantry in Army and USMC and sometimes the better members of USAF security forces.

4- Skill Level 4. This is the "Tactics" portion.

This individual knows how to execute a...break contact ... what a support-by-fire element is, what a Wedge is vs skirmish line ho to execute bounding overwatch,....,what it means when the team leader yells "Limit! Limit! Limit!" at the assault team,... the difference between a hasty and a deliberate ambush,.. the difference between an attack and a raid..what a herringbone formation is ... etc, etc, etc..

This is also a skill typical of Army and USMC Infantry and the better USAF security forces.

Skill Levels 1-3 were all about individual skills.
Skill level 4 is a collective skill and needs collective training.

Also I think Skill level 4 probably ought to be broken out into a "troop level" and a "Leader Level". Some folks know how to execute a wedge and break contact etc but mostly on Order.... but are not 100% on when you would employ it vs other choices.. they can execute but need an order to execute the correct drill.

Quickly deciding when to break contact under fire or under which conditions to decide to fight through this is an additional skill.. So a Skill level 4 at the leader level would include the ability to lead patrols, conduct troop Leading Procedures, the ability to properly read terrain, make quick judgements on force ratios vs your opponent to inform his calls etc etc.

Interestingly here is where we get non-hierarchical in these skill levels.

You do not need to be at a skill level 3 for your tactical rifle to learn and be effective at Skill level 4 tasks, skill level 2 is probably sufficient.

In order to have an effective tactical team at a reasonable level just being at level 2 in weapons skill is probably sufficient for team members as long as they know how to execute Level 4 collective tasks at the non leader level and you have a fireteam leader who can execute Skill level 4 at the leader level.
Also the Fire team leader does not necessarily have to be at weapons handling skill level 3 to lead a team if he has Skill level 4 at the leader level.

Another wrinkle though is this: If you MUST fight Goblins alone for any reason...which for citizens is IMO a greater possibility than for the military..especially left of boom*.. Skill level 3 tasks are more critical than skill level 4.. Because Skill level 4 tasks are collective tasks and so you cannot conduct them by yourself.
When serving as a member of a survival team right-of-boom ...Skill level 4 task will likely become more critical then maxing out your rifle skill to level 3.

Where do you think you fit?

Possible skill levels one could have under this proposed system are:

2/4
3/4
2/4L
3/4L

..but be honest with yourself and the board. If everyone ranks here themselves at 3 or higher then I know honesty is in short supply.. ;)

DISCUSS

PS: In order to keep things from being needlessly complex I have not included a discussion of nightfiring/nightfighting skill levels. This will be a sperate thread at another time.
PS2: This is intended purely a shorthand for skill level. Not about your physical fitness. I think we all understand that lack of physical fitness can make skill level 4 tasks nearly impossible if you attempt them for more than couple of minutes and that folks at a high skill level say "3" will generally have as a minimum some decent degree physical fitness levels.
This may be a seperaate thread.
PS3: * "Left-of-boom"=Before a collapse situation. "Right-of-Boom" = Society has collapsed and you are in a blatant and obvious without "rule of law" situation

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I don't think most people train like you do. I know I'd be a 1 I think. No, probably sub 1 to be honest.

oppo

Full Access Member
I am thinking 90% is a low estimate. Most simply aren't that proficient and even those who are rarely practice tactics.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Thanks fellas.. at least its getting some traffic.
This was in part intend to inspire folks to set goals and train

The folks I train with are:
2/4-
3/4-
2/4
3/4
and 2/4L(-)

Anyone who is a noob gets trained up to level 2 minimum. I have a couple of work buddies who are (which a gentle nudge from yours truly) just transitioning from 1 to 2.

I believe I am 3/4L(-) , where the - applies not to the 4 identifier but to the L identifier.. in other words I can function as an infantry leader only at a very basic level and would give up leadership on the spot to any properly school trained Infantry Officer or Senior NCO.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
In a SHTF situation, do you have a predetermined place for a group of like minded individuals to gather together? A place that has supplies and you can defend against the goblins? I don't want to know "Where" just "IF" you have. And if you have, I applaud you. Depending on the situation, I hope you and your team can all get there.

I don't have anything like that set up. I've always been a loner and as such will be left to defend my home by myself. Even if there is a group in my area, I've not been told about it. So I may not last long if things get really bad. My best plan is to lie low and not attract any attention. Try to ride things out for as long as possible.

Bluez

Full Access Member
1)In a SHTF situation, do you have a predetermined place for a group of like minded individuals to gather together? A place that has supplies and you can defend against the goblins? I don't want to know "Where" just "IF" you have. And if you have, I applaud you. Depending on the situation, I hope you and your team can all get there.

2) I don't have anything like that set up. I've always been a loner and as such will be left to defend my home by myself. Even if there is a group in my area, I've not been told about it. So I may not last long if things get really bad. My best plan is to lie low and not attract any attention. Try to ride things out for as long as possible.

1) Maybe :)

2) Networking trumps OPSEC. Go to your local church.. if meetup.com has a local prepper group. go to the range talk to folks.. go out and meet folks.. they might save your families life one day or you thiers.
but first you have to meet.
I met 90% of my friends by going to tactical courses near me regularily.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts