Winchester Black Talon .40 S&W

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Wow, you should be so lucky I think that it's time to go and buy a Lottery Ticket.

your right, I looked on ebay and they are like 50-60 bones 4 one box. They look like none of them have even been chambered, not a scratch on them... :head3:

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I still have a pretty good stash of 10mm, .45, and 9mm Black Talons. To think I used to practice with them. lol

Trixxterr

When I saw the title i was hoping someone was trying to get rid of these rounds, maybe not knowing what they had. :( I wish I was as lucky as the OP. I'm lookin for some in 40 and 9mm. For my wife and myself.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
When I saw the title i was hoping someone was trying to get rid of these rounds, maybe not knowing what they had. :( I wish I was as lucky as the OP. I'm lookin for some in 40 and 9mm. For my wife and myself.

Would never put in for sale section....
:Get him!:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Re: Winchester Black Talon .40 S&W

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the draw to Black Talons?

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
They were the first generation of the top of the line ammo. Extreme petal expansion and weight retension. I can't get a link right now but YouTube search them. People claim the ranger rounds are the same but I disagree. Very deep HP and were coated with lubalox. The ranger also is coated with it they just don't advertise it......JMHO. Concealed 27
:hat:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to pick up a M&P Shield in .40 S&W soon. My plan is to practice with it and get my CHL when I turn 21 in a year. I've been researching defense ammunition and have seen many people mention Black Talon and just wasn't sure what was so appealing about it. Thank you for the information, I believe I will be going with Hornady Critical Duty.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Thanks for the info. I'm looking to pick up a M&P Shield in .40 S&W soon. My plan is to practice with it and get my CHL when I turn 21 in a year. I've been researching defense ammunition and have seen many people mention Black Talon and just wasn't sure what was so appealing about it. Thank you for the information, I believe I will be going with Hornady Critical Duty.

Your welcome, the critical duty is a great round... like I said look at reviews on you tube. Alot of ballistic tests there ...?.

cce1302

Full Access Member
The Black Talon is not better than the premium self-defense rounds on the market right now. It just got a lot of bad press (lies) about it being cop-killing, armor piercing, etc.

kind of like what is happening to AR-pattern rifles right now.

Humvee21

Full Access Member

Black talon is known for clogging. Same with its successor the SXT and then onto the PDX1.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Black talon is known for clogging. Same with its successor the SXT and then onto the PDX1.

Will agree to disagree, I carry all of the new rounds too. Critical defense started putting in plastic piece in HP and the industry is following in there footprints. Dont know what winchester is gonna due but some companys are making a larger HP to overcome clogging. I see this as a none issue for quality rounds. Black Talons(winchester), Corbon, Rangers, Federal, Hornady, etc
To each his own, Its all good in my book.....JHMO, Concealed 27

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Will agree to disagree, I carry all of the new rounds too. Critical defense started putting in plastic piece in HP and the industry is following in there footprints. Dont know what winchester is gonna due but some companys are making a larger HP to overcome clogging. I see this as a none issue for quality rounds. Black Talons(winchester), Corbon, Rangers, Federal, Hornady, etc
To each his own, Its all good in my book.....JHMO, Concealed 27

In the 4 layer denim test, PDX1, SXT, and Black Talon have clogged many times. I'm just saying. Agreed.. to each his own. My personal preference is federal HST. I have seen the cavity plug up many times and the bullet still has no problem expanding. Sure, it hinders the expansion a little bit, but I will sacrifice a little bit of expansion for the assurance that it will not clog.

Trixxterr

I've seen those test results view too, but in reality how many people are wearing four layers of WET denim? Or they were wet in the ones I saw. But the question still stands wet or dry.
I wonder how they came up with the wet and dry denim thing.. anyone???

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I've seen those test results view too, but in reality how many people are wearing four layers of WET denim? Or they were wet in the ones I saw. But the question still stands wet or dry.
I wonder how they came up with the wet and dry denim thing.. anyone???

They must be carrying those rounds while fishing which is completly legal to do..... Permit or not.. Right now heres my carry loads by gun...
1 G27- Black Talons 180 Grain
2 G19- Federal Tactical for LEOS P+P 124 Grain
3 G23- Hornady 180 Grain TAP/FPDS
4 Remingtom- .223 45 Grain HP

Members online

No members online now.