Top-selling handgun safe can be remotely opened in seconds—no PIN needed

RichardM502

One of Amazon's top-selling electronic gun safes contains a critical vulnerability that allows it to be opened by virtually anyone, even when they don't know the password.

The Vaultek VT20i handgun safe, ranked fourth in Amazon's gun safes and cabinets category, allows owners to electronically open the door using a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone app. The remote unlock feature is supposed to work only when someone knows the four- to eight-digit personal identification number used to lock the device. But it turns out that this PIN safeguard can be bypassed using a standard computer and a small amount of programming know-how.

Complete Article: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/12/top-selling-handgun-safe-can-be-remotely-opened-in-seconds-no-pin-needed/

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Safes like this IMO are meant to keep the gun out of little ones hands but accessible fairly quickly when needed. I think the articles expectations exceed the original intent of so called "gun safes" like this one.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I think they made waaay too much about the so called "vulnerabilities"

Keeping it out of the hands of kids and casual Teen drug addict burglars is the primary concern for 99% of consumers.

..not too worried about being "Secure" from hacker groups or FBI.

Members online

No members online now.