the gun for the job

Wilson

I am having a time with my 30-06 don't know why I switched from a 270. I asked before I bought but was told basically the same. I wish I would have known about the 270 short mag before I bought the 30-06.
also this is what I know about guns what is bigger the 270 or the 30-06? and why don't the deer drop and stay down like with the 270 I use to use? same grain bullets. I don't get it maybe the ammo is old?

so basically if I was to buy another deer gun what is something that would knock them down like the 270 or what grain should I be using. I now use 180.

270 was borrowed and the 30-06 was the wright price. I now have an apache with the hair trigger I like it but what are some other brands I'm looking for accuracy and have a few more coins now but still not that many. Thanks'

Wilson

P.S. I have had to learn on my own Dad never hunted deer. only pheasants, taught us how to shoot aiming at gofers.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
Shot placement.

I've taken deer with a wide range of calibers. Shot placement is key.

Started using a rifled 12 gauge this year, and love it. But I still have to carefully place the shot.

Keep the round in the chest cavity - often that means clipping a front shoulder.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Both are fine calibers for deer. Shot placement is likey the cause. Where are you hitting the deer?

I have brought down elk with a 30.06. Also have seen a moose go down from a .22.

oppo

Full Access Member
Shot placement and bullet construction. The 30-06 doesn't give up anything in "knock down" power to the 270.

Wilson

What ammo were you using with the 270 and what are you using now with the 30-06?

it is the same grain. I did get the deer just didn't look far anuff in. I have only had it for 2 years now and only shoot it 8 time's a year I should shoot it more and be better aquanted with it but what do you shoot other than deer. even just shooting a 22 would help.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
it is the same grain. I did get the deer just didn't look far anuff in. I have only had it for 2 years now and only shoot it 8 time's a year I should shoot it more and be better aquanted with it but what do you shoot other than deer. even just shooting a 22 would help.

Do you know what type of bullets each were? For instance Ballistic Tip vs. Jacketed Hollow Points vs. Full Metal Jacket, etc. That would make a large difference in how big the wound channel is, also meaning how quickly they might drop.

Last edited:

blockdoc

Full Access Member
Lots of things to shoot - paper, cans, plastic bottles, spinner targets, steel targets, milk jugs full of water. Can be a tremendous amount of fun.

Members online

No members online now.