Stuff like this really bugs me..

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
The sequester may be affecting some of the United States' defense budget, but not the part of that is the U.S. Army's Product Improvement Program, which is set to upgrade the Army's old issue M4 rifles to newer M4A1 models.

According to Military.com, after a dramatic bidding and re-bidding process, the M4A1 contract, with an estimated value of approximately $77 million, is going not to incumbent manufacturer Colt Defense nor Remington Arms (owned by Freedom Group), but to a foreign company, FN Herstal. The initial part of the contract award — around $9.3 million worth — was posted at the government's Federal Business Opportunities site earlier this month.

While FN Herstal has its manufacturing plant in South Carolina, the company itself is a subsidiary of the Herstal Group, which, according to its website, "… has been 100 percent owned by the Walloon Region of Belgium," or in other words, the government of Belgium. So, while net-net, manufacturing jobs are preserved in the U.S., the profits go to a foreign entity, which could also engender a loss of sales, administrative and other jobs in the U.S.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
This happened some time ago if I am not mistaken, I heard of FN taking over military contract around one year ago if im not mistaken...

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
They've been building M249s, and M240s (and I believe M2s) for us for years in SC.

Sig and Beretta are building our handguns, too

Sure, I'd like to see American companies getting the business, but this is nothing new

kwo51

Full Access Member
They really screwed the pouch on the Beretta tests. All bids should go to US company's. There is no excuse.

kwo51

Full Access Member
I really liked working from low bid bucket trucks while doing high voltage work. Low bid bullets, low bid brakes and air planes.Sometimes you got to have the best.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I really liked working from low bid bucket trucks while doing high voltage work. Low bid bullets, low bid brakes and air planes.Sometimes you got to have the best.

Most of the time the higher cost/quality ends up less expensive over the life of the item.

kwo51

Full Access Member
That is uncommon scene. That also goes against getting new stuff every couple years. Job security for the union bosses.

KKing

Full Access Member
I don't know about you gentlemen, but I'm just glad they didn't put in a large order of double barrel shotguns

Members online

No members online now.