springfield xd40 opinions

ninja man

Full Access Member
as you know i recently picked up 2 mossberg .22's at a local sporting goods store. the guy at the counter was awesome and saved 2 500rd boxes of ammo for me so i could break in the guns. well i was picking up the ammo today and there is a new springfield xd40 for $535 otd. first off, im not familiar with the pricing on the weapon, and second, is this a good gun worth buying? my handgun experience is mostly from revolvers (mostly 38, 357, 44) and 1911's. other than that, i dont know much about all the other calibers. is this something i should consider? or should i not go for it.

cce1302

Full Access Member
First, yes, it's a great gun. Very good caliber. Quality handgun.

Here are my two:

IMG_2597.jpg

The larger is the XD40 service (4" barrel, 12 round magazine capacity); the smaller is subcompact (3" barrel, 9 round magazine).

I've had the service since early 2007; the subcompact has been my daily carry since late 2004. That's not to say that I don't often carry the service, because it gets out fairly regularly as well.

As for the price, I think it's fair, but a little on the high side. I don't think he's cutting you any deals. Of course, my opinion may be skewed since I haven't bought one for 6 years.

Any other questions?

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
The XD is a great gun, and $535 out the door is fair. After he pays the tax on it and his credit card fee, he's not making much.

ninja man

Full Access Member
the guy at the gun shop is actually selling it for his father. he bought it a couple months ago but never fired it. he wants to get ar parts instead. basically its $500 for the gun and $35 for the transfer fees.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I have the XD40 and XD9. Both subcompacts. They're great little guns. Pretty concealable and still carry 10+ rounds. Almost invisible with a IWB holster.

ninja man

Full Access Member
so im am going to most likely go for this tomorrow, unless i hear something to sway me. but it seems that this gun is a decent one to have. now i just have a 3 month wait......ca law permits 1 handgun purchase a month. who the fuck.....why the hell......what the..... oh i guess its so i dont go on a mass murder spree. damn i gues i will run around and chop peoples heads off with a butter knife. that way they can pass another usedul law that says you need a special permit to have a butter knife.......

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
40 caliber hollow point is what most Leos went to when they were being outgunned with there 9 mm, I have 2 40 Cal glocks but I really like the xds...I shot my friends a few months ago and really liked the way they felt. I'm thinking bout getting one myself but just a thought right now. I think u will be happy if u get one but it will be 6 months before u can pick it up ..... lol

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I had a XD 4" bi-tone for several years and sold it recently to fund something. I kinda regret it. It shot very well, never had a malfunction. I carried it in a Blackhawk Serpa OWB which was very secure but not the best for concealment.

I have been using the .40S&W for over 12 years now. Excellent round with some great self defense ammo to be had. I'm partial to the 180 grain Speer Gold Dot as it is my duty ammo.

ninja man

Full Access Member
luckily since this was a private party sale, i only had to wait 10 days for the gun. its been home a while and i have shot it a bit. for some reason though, i am more accurate with this, than i am with my springfield 1911 .45. we are talking 6 inches more accurate. im lost on this one.

FarFromStock

luckily since this was a private party sale, i only had to wait 10 days for the gun. its been home a while and i have shot it a bit. for some reason though, i am more accurate with this, than i am with my springfield 1911 .45. we are talking 6 inches more accurate. im lost on this one.

Good choice Noah. I have both the XD40 service and XD40 subcompact. Both shoot nice and the wife really likes the subcompact.

CBizzle

Them 1911's take some getting use to. Still fighting mine for accuracy.

-Tizz

kwo51

Full Access Member
Trigger trigger trigger. The neat thing about trigger control is you can dry fire to correct problem.The transition between striker fired and 1911 is fundamental and takes time to get the mind set right. It is almost like going from double action revolver to single action.

CBizzle

Trigger trigger trigger. The neat thing about trigger control is you can dry fire to correct problem.The transition between striker fired and 1911 is fundamental and takes time to get the mind set right. It is almost like going from double action revolver to single action.

That's a good way of looking at it...

Smith

XD40's are great little guns, triggers are OK. Drop in a PRP trigger to fix that and you turn a great gun into a Fantastic one. I think the price is a little high but you can always talk them down

kwo51

Full Access Member
Put an empty shell case or a nickle on the front of barrel just behind the front sight and practice drying. No ammo in the same room!!!!! PLEASE! 2 worst sounds are boom when you want a click and click when you want boom.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Put an empty shell case or a nickle on the front of barrel just behind the front sight and practice drying. No ammo in the same room!!!!! PLEASE! 2 worst sounds are boom when you want a click and click when you want boom.

Good advice! I have trained guys over the years to put two quarters on the top of the slide on a Glock. Start jerking the trigger when you them on there and you will know it.

Members online

No members online now.