SKS Detachable Mags?!?!

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I've never used detachable mags with my SKS's. Figured I"d better get some with the Ban that might happen. Did some looking around to find out what was good, and apparently what's best with less problems was the Tapco Plastic made in USA mags. Got on a notify list and got notified today, they have some in stock. I bought 2 of these in black for $17.99 each.

As of right this second they still show to have some, and this place usually is accurate on the their count, so if they show to have it, you'll get it.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=TVMAG6620B&src=bckrdAlrt

I bought 15 boxes of ammo with my Daughter and SIL too, so that brought shipping down to reasonable per item.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TapCo20rdSKS.jpg
    TapCo20rdSKS.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
So what other SKS detachable mags work good without attachment of feeding problems? I have metal 40rd mags for my AK-47 an they are flawless. I prefer metal mags, but I won't complain about plastic if they are light and hold up.

Texasgordo

I have never used any with mine. My bro has a couple of TAPCO mags that have worked great in his.

What I really want is an easy way to convert it to take AK mags. I have alot of those.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
So what other SKS detachable mags work good without attachment of feeding problems? I have metal 40rd mags for my AK-47 an they are flawless. I prefer metal mags, but I won't complain about plastic if they are light and hold up.

Anything high cap is a good investment during these current times however for personal use, in my opinion, no SKS detachable mags are really good. I've yet to find one that doesn't require fitting or that feeds 100% reliably. the biggest drawback on SKS detachable mags is that the mag can only be inserted or removed with the bolt locked to the rear. That's a little awkward and time consuming for every mag change.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I'll have to agree with the above post. Although my SKS has been gone for a few years, I tried many different mags while I had it. I kept going back to the fixed 10 rounder and reloaded with stripper clips.
In fact, I got so quick with the clips that I suffered no disadvantage when doing run+gun couses against guys that were swapping mags in their ARs, AKs, Minis, etc.
With practice you can become suprisingly quick.

After I bought my DR200, the SKS didn't see much use. So I sold it to a younger guy in our shooiting group, who shoots the hell out of it. And he is faster at reloads with clips than I ever was.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
That's why I didn't go hog wild and buy a bunch of them and bought what I'd heard had the best luck. I seen several say, the Plastic 20rd Tapcos were the most problem free, so I got 2 only because of this Firearmagedon going on. I have 40 rounders for the AK, and can't shoot it at the same time as the SKS, so I'm actually oK with the 10rd strippers, and I have ass loads of those. I might even just keep it with the OE mag and not sue the Tapcos. I prefer reliability over capacity anyday of the week. I'll take 10 I can put my life on over 20 or 30 I can't.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I did finally get these in the mail today. Nice. I like them. They do feel like good quality.

So my SKS just got a bit meaner. All for you Diane Frankenstein !!! :love51:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW Diane, :flipthebird: You got beat again !!!

Attachments

• SKSTapco 001.jpg
    SKSTapco 001.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 24
  • SKSTapco 003a.jpg
    SKSTapco 003a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 60

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I got them at Natchez Shooting Supply .com for $17.46 each. And that was after the gouging stated. So far, this place don't gouge. I also got 4 Glock22 15 round mags for $25.XX. Also no tax. Shipping was a bit steep, but the trick with them is, buy enough stuff.
Like 1st box of ammo is like $11 but so is 4 boxes. 6 boxes of ammo is like $13 and so forth. We bought 16 boxes of ammo between, my daughter and son in law, and these 2 mags, and it worked out to $1.70 shipping for both mags, and $1.70 shipping for shipping on each box of ammo. The $1.70 is about what we pay for sales tax on a box of ammo here, and then you get the ammo at $2-$3 less than the stores too, and of course the stores are sold out and you can't get any.

So here is the deal on this place. They to are sold out of everything. But what you do is, you click the "To be notified" feature. Then when they get it in, they send an email saying we have the items you requeted in stock and you go jump on the shit immediatly. I was shocked, the 9mm an .40 ammo last a whole day, and then later the same day I got notified on the mags so I had to place an order at that point, and decided I'd get a better shipping rate if my Daughter and SIL bought 10boxes of ammo. So it worked out good for all of us. Like everyone though, they are backlogged. I think it was about 12 days ago we placed that order for the mags and 16 boxes of ammo.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Out of stock....foiled again.

Sorry, guess I should have said so. They were out of stock about 2 hours later after I was notified. Just register on their page and use the to be notified feature. That's how I get everything from these guys. And these mags come in 3 different colors. Dark Earth, Desert Tan and Black. I signed up for all 3 colors since I didn't care, and black happen to be what came up.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Doh, as in my first post. It's Olive Drab instead of Desert Tan. I'm getting confused with another product.

I did post the link to these in that first post. I was hoping someone else would get in on time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts