S&W 629 "Stealth Hunter"

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

Can someone tell me if the S&W 629 "Stealth Hunter" (or the 629 in general) has a manual safety of some sort?
Or is it ready to fire the moment the top chamber in the cylinder is loaded?

Furthermore, does the rail on top of the barrel accept attachments (like sights) made for picantinny-rails, or would they need an adapter?

Last but not least, is the "Stealth Hunter" a gun that is only for sale "in theory", or are there actually people who own one (if there are, I guess it's very rare. Right?)?

Couldn't find the info, not even on the S&W homepage.

Thanks in advance,

Max

By the way, I'm asking because I "upgraded" a protagonist in my novel-project from a .50AE-Deagle to this one (or I want to), because it fits his character better.
But if the gun is practically not existing I'll look for a different gun.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Looks like the top rail on the Stealth Hunter is a picatinny rail. So accessories can be mounted to it. And as far as I know the revolver does not have a manual safety. It might have a drop safety where you pull the hammer back to it's first catch so it won't fire if you should drop it but not familiar enough with the 629 to know if it has it. Actually just read that modern revolvers are drop safe. There is a mechanism that blocks the hammer unless the trigger is pulled.

629-4Hunter.jpg

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
Actually, the way modern revolvers work is by a transfer bar "safety". The hammer does not come forward far enough to hit the firing pin. When the trigger is pulled, the transfer bar raises up and basically fills the gap allowing the hammer to drive the firing pin into the primer. Without the transfer bar raising into place, the gun can't fire.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Actually, the way modern revolvers work is by a transfer bar "safety". The hammer does not come forward far enough to hit the firing pin. When the trigger is pulled, the transfer bar raises up and basically fills the gap allowing the hammer to drive the firing pin into the primer. Without the transfer bar raising into place, the gun can't fire.

Thank you. That is what I was trying to say but failed miserably.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Yes, the Stealth Hunter is for sale to the public. I have been very close to buying several over the years

Max

Full Access Member
Yes, the Stealth Hunter is for sale to the public.

I know that it's on sale.
I just wondered if people actually (consider to) buy it, or if it's among guns what the Bugatti is among cars, that it's on sale but doesn't really get bought.
Because, for my not very gun-educated world, it's quite a ridiculously sized piece (and quite expensive as well).

Max

oppo

Full Access Member
Ridiculously sized? Nah, it isn't that big. The X frames, on the other hand, those are pretty big.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Price of the SW Stealth Hunter is on par with the DE at around $1600 USD

As for size, (using the 6" barreled version of the Desert Eagle.)

Stealth Hunter= 12.9" (32.7cm) and 3.5lbs (1587g)

Desert Eagle= 10.75" (27.4cm) and 4.6lbs (1984g)

Go with the Smith and Wesson, Desert Eagles are bit cliché.:)

Max

Full Access Member
Go with the Smith and Wesson, Desert Eagles are bit cliché.:)

I had the character take a (golden, of all finishes) DE off his (by that point dead) enemy, who was a person that was always totally against america (he was a captain, so it was war-propaganda).
And I originally choose the DE to use/make fun of that very cliché.
But after all the gun didn't really suit him (he had a 629 some time before, and the step "back" to the DE didn't feel right).

Max

Btw, I called the Stealth Hunters size ridiculous because by the (anti-gun) standards of german people a SIG P226 is already a big (bad) gun.:shooter:

oppo

Full Access Member
That reminds me of some crazy lady on the news a while back. She was pretty animated and going on and on about how he had "a BIG ol' gun! It was like a 9 or sumthin."

Max

Full Access Member
Last week a jewelery-store in germany was robbed (the guys stole almost worthless replicas), and the news-anchor said that they carried machine guns.
Cut to the police-photo, and we got to see a Mini-Uzi.
So who failed worse, the thiefs or the news?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Your news sounds like ours. Everything here is an "Assault Rifle" or "Automatic" with them. They make it sound like everyone is walking around with a full auto rifle in their hands. They also exaggerate by saying how easy it is to get one. Nobody needs background checks. Which is a blatant lie.

I'm sure you've heard of the two NY police officers that were shot and killed this week. The liberals are saying that the guy who did it was a felon and had been arrested 19 times. They are blaming the NRA for voting down further gun restrictions which allowed this guy to get his gun. (no, I can't explain the stupidity of these people).

He was no where near a gun shop. He got his gun from a back alley or stole it. If he had gone into a gun shop to buy one they would have run his info through NICS and he would have been denied purchase. Plus this was in NY where nobody can have a gun. Oh, except the criminals.

Max

Full Access Member
@kwo51: If I hear machine-gun I think of guns like the FN Minimi, at the very least.
To me, a Uzi is a machine pistol (as which it's declared in germany (where you can't legally own one)).

Max

Members online

No members online now.