Pneumatic rifle?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I am truly sorry Anthony. I am sorry you guys in the UK do not have the rich history such as ours here in the United States of Guns, er, I mean America. I really mean that. My children have no idea what it is like to live in a country, let a lone a country, where they are not allowed to own and shoot guns. I hope one day you can bring a "gun ownership" revolution to your life and home...

No doubt. If and when you ever get to the states, you'll need to let all of us know ahead of time. At least someone in the area you'll be going to go. Then maybe meet up and let you shoot some shit up.

Is there a list of USA states, or nations, where gun ownership is forbidden / allowed sometimes / or (as I heard) compulsory)?

Last edited:
In Wikipedia, "pneumatic rifle" redirects to "air gun"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun
which describes together 5 sorts of guns:-

(1) Spring-piston air guns
(2) Pneumatic air guns, pressurized by pumping with a lever (one stroke)
(3) Pneumatic air guns, pressurized by pumping with a lever (many strokes)
(4) Pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) pressurized before shooting from an external air or gas cylinder
(5) With an onboard high-pressure air or gas cylinder (often CO2)

All the airguns that I have seen here in England are type 1.

What pneumatic rifles are there of type 5?

This Youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XHvkMVB5mM
shows a homemade (?bolt action) type 5 whose cylinder is its butt.

oppo

Full Access Member
Those are pretty common here. Lots of air pistols use small CO2 cylinders. Also, higher end and larger caliber air rifles use compressed air tanks. Some are powerful enough to take big game. They are commonly called PCP's (pre-charged pneumatics).

oppo

Full Access Member
Ended up using the CB's and, believe it or not, they are even quieter than the Gamo. Also, they were delicious and insanely tender.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Ended up using the CB's and, believe it or not, they are even quieter than the Gamo. Also, they were delicious and insanely tender.

Color me jealous. Sounds delicious.

You know I'm a card carrying member of PETA.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Last edited:
At that website, in the AirForce Condor PCP Air Rifle, Spin-Loc Tank the cylinder seems to be its butt; in the others the cylinder seems to kept small so it can be hidden inside to let the rifle look like an ordinary rifle. Likely much more power could be got out of it if it had a big visible cylinder, ignoring styling.

If a pneumatic rifle is powerful enough to kill big game, how does its firing noise compare with the firing noise from an ordinary explosive-powered cartridge?

Likely if its magazine only contained the naked projectiles, and the propellant is in the gas cylinder, there would be no cartridge cases to eject.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pre-Charged Pneumatic Air Rifles | PCP Rifles - PyramydAir.com

Here is a link to some examples, including a 50 caliber.

oppo

Full Access Member
I haven't heard the big bores in person. They will definitely have a noticable report but not nearly as loud as a conventional firearm.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I have a Benjamin Nitro Piston .25. It's a single cock type rifle. I've seen video's of it taking rabbit and smaller game. Don't know about pig. It'd have to be a perfectly placed shot. I wanted something that was subsonic but packed a pretty good punch. It does have a crack to it when fired but nothing like the bang of even a .22lr. There is no cartridge to replace. When you cock the barrel it charges (compresses) the internal cylinder so that when you pull the trigger it releases the air pressure and fires the pellet.

There is no magazine to a pellet rifle. The pellets are kept in your pocket. Every time you cock the barrel to charge the piston, you put a pellet in the barrel. This video will tell you all you want to know about these type rifles.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTZAJ4CS3k[/ame]

The PCP guns are charged from an external air source. Something like a scuba tank which can hold about 3K psi of air. With each shot the pressure is reduced until you get back to your source and recharge the gun. The prepper in me didn't want to have to rely on an external source. Once your main source runs out, what do you do when the power is out and you can't get your tank refilled? That's why I went with the cock and go rifle. Plus it's considerably less expensive.

Last edited:
I have a Benjamin Nitro Piston .25. It's a single cock type rifle. ... There is no magazine to a pellet rifle. The pellets are kept in your pocket. ...

It seems to me to be within the bounds of possibility for someone to design a compressed-air-powered rifle with a magazine reload mechanism. The magazine would contain only the bullets, not the explosive parts of cartridges.

oppo

Full Access Member
It seems to me to be within the bounds of possibility for someone to design a compressed-air-powered rifle with a magazine reload mechanism. The magazine would contain only the bullets, not the explosive parts of cartridges.

Some of the PCP's are like this.

Likely for each user or group of users it depends on how easy access he has to a supply of compressed air or CO2, which may depend on whether he goes out sport shooting, or he has to shoot routinely as part of his work, or whatever.

... didn't want to have to rely on an external source. Once your main source runs out, what do you do when the power is out and you can't get your tank refilled? That's why I went with the cock and go rifle.....

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Some of the PCP's are like this.

I have a Crosman 760 pump up style BB gun. There is a reservoir for the BB's in the gun. You shake the gun and the BB's move to an slot where they're lined up. You then load the BB's into the firing chamber with what looks like a bolt action. The end of the bolt is magnetic so that you don't lose the BB. One the bolt is closed. You can fire away. But BB's are easier to handle than trying to keep pellets pointing in the right direction.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts