Ohio Gun Laws (CCW, Castle Doctrine, ETC)

MPac

Concealed Carry

Ohio is a shall-issue state, meaning authorities are required by law to issue a concealed carry permit to qualified applicants. To receive a permit, applicants must be at least 21 years old, have resided in Ohio for 45 days and in their county of residence or an adjacent county for 30 days, take an exam to demonstrate competency with a firearm and undergo a background check. Competency training must be repeated every six years.

Application is made through local sheriff’s departments. In extreme situations, temporary emergency permits can be issued.

Ohio’s concealed carry permits are honored by the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Ohio honors permits from the states of Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Castle Doctrine

Ohio has a self-defense law based on the castle doctrine. The law has a “stand-your-ground” clause that allows persons to use deadly force within their homes or vehicles without a duty to retreat if they’re confronted by a person illegally entering the home or vehicle. The National Rifle Association-backed law was enacted in 2008.

Pro-Gun Provisions

Open carry is generally permissible in Ohio. However, there are strict regulations on how guns may be transported in vehicles. In general, persons without a permit must have their guns unloaded and enclosed in a container when carrying them within a vehicle.

Ohio has a preemption law that prevents municipal and county governments from enacting gun laws that are more restrictive than state law. The state also has a law protecting firing ranges.

Restrictions

Gun bans: None.

Waiting periods for gun purchases: None.

License or permit to purchase guns: None.

Registration of guns: None statewide. However, certain local governments require the registration of handguns.

Places in Ohio where carrying is off limits, with or without a permit, include:
•Law enforcement facilities
•Detention facilities
•Airports
•Institutions for caring for the mentally ill
•Courthouses
•Churches
•Child daycare centers
•Schools and universities
•Most places that sell alcohol for on-premises consumption

MPac

Well I'm 20 in less then a month so only a little over a year till I can get my CCW! But cce1302 if you can think of any changes or provisions I incorrectly posted or missed please let me know so I can inform anyone living, planning on living, or visiting ohio so I can helped them be prepared as much as possible.

Sharp Charge

A few important things you missed:

Ohio considers a weapon as loaded when there's a loaded magazine or speed loader for that weapon regardless of where it is in the vehicle. In other words, don't preload long gun mags before going to the range and no loaded pistol mags if you don't have a CCW.

Ohio has a max capacity of 31 rounds in a weapon. Any more than that and you're considered to have a Machine Gun and are in violation of the ORC. If you have a registered NFA compliant Machine Gun you're good to go.

Lastly, it was struck down in 2008 or 2009 that municipalities can not require residents to register weapons. That's governed by the State and there is no registration requirement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts