Light Sources when electricity isn't available.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I forgot all about this idea until I just seen it posted.

Add any other ideas you might have to the thread !!! :waytogo:

This is diffused lighting. When you have a straight beam of light but need ambient lighting. This happens to be strap on head light using batteries. Strap it around your gallon jug of water or clear liquid.
I see these type cheap lights at Harbor Freight on sale for like $3 each. They run off of 2 AA batteries.

:wtf: Strap-on and batteries, just don't go in the same sentence for some reason !!! :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• SurvivalLIghting.jpg
    SurvivalLIghting.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
And if you run out of batteries you can take a can of Crisco (any shortening will do) and make a hole down through the middle of it. Insert a wick and light it. You've got a candle that will last a long time. I tried this and it works. Go to Walmart and buy some of those cheap kerosene lantern wicks. They work great.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlRe4Uj2kw0]Long Lasting Emergency Crisco Candle - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
It is nothing new or unknown bit these still work as well as they always did.

Oil_Lamp_2_by_AilinStock.jpg

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
It is nothing new or unknown bit these still work as well as they always did.

Oil_Lamp_2_by_AilinStock.jpg

I've got 2 of those I've used for years and years everytime we've lost power in storms. They do put off alot of light, Lamp Oil last quite a long time, and you can even use straight Kerosene if you have it handy and don't have lamp oil. I've just never used them in an outdoor situation. I be one of those that ended up breaking the globes.

Bluez

Full Access Member
good stuff.

Right now (pre SHTF) camdles are super cheap too.

I I bought a bunch of them.
Lots of bics too.

I know Bics are not sustainable but they last sooo long and are also cheap

And even after being used up will still generate sparks for fire starting!

ViperJeff

Administrator
I forgot all about this idea until I just seen it posted.

Add any other ideas you might have to the thread !!! :waytogo:

This is diffused lighting. When you have a straight beam of light but need ambient lighting. This happens to be strap on head light using batteries. Strap it around your gallon jug of water or clear liquid.
I see these type cheap lights at Harbor Freight on sale for like $3 each. They run off of 2 AA batteries.

:wtf: Strap-on and batteries, just don't go in the same sentence for some reason !!! :eek:

attachment.php

Would have never thought of this, something to remember for me

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Coleman Lantern for the win!

View attachment 835

That's a 1 time use for me, then the mantles tear or break, so I usually don't have them handy. I"ll always have a gallon of water and I do have strap on lights for the kids to play with at night at the property, but I can't find that damn things or I'd be using this method right now. Still no power in most of Moore, OK.

priell3

Full Access Member
Resurrecting this thread - I saw those strap on head lights at Walmart for a buck a piece when I was there yesterday. Light provided by 3 LEDs.

kwo51

Full Access Member
No power extreme heat or cold , all can add to civil unrest. Cold has a way of slowing things down. When the stuff in the fridge starts to melt put it on the back porch. Most power company's are way understaffed in the field ,more administration than needed and don't fix it till it is broken is a bitch when it all comes down at the same time. GODs speed and safety to the crews and people in need. I like the Colman led lanterns.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Lights flickered once last evening but that was it. Hasn't gotten above freezing since the snow fell. Going to be unbelievably cold for us tonight. Depending on which source you look at anywhere from 3 to -4 degrees. Neither of which I intend to go out in. If a widespread power outage happens for any length of time then people are going to start freezing to death. That is why I installed an alternate heat source. Didn't want to be fully dependent on the power company. I would hate for a SHTF incident anytime but particularly this time of year.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Obama farewell speech is on, and I am drinking Crown to it. ABC ,CBS and NBC have got it . Good reddens COMMIE . OVER

Last edited:

Dubyagee

I made a generator out of a salvaged water cooled three cylinder Kubota and an ST 10k gen head. Powers most of the house and burns 1 gallon of diesel every 4 hours.

Heres a pic of the test and tune stage.

e8ce927d53b925f792bf1be14ccc5086.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
I have a 8000 watt that will do all I need on fuel . I am looking for storage and maybe methane run units. Just looking here to see if any off grid people are here. When power is out here toilets don't flush.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts