KY lawmaker fires gun in office

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Frankfort, KY.

A Kentucky lawmaker said Wednesday that she accidentally fired a gun in her Capitol Annex office on the first day of the legislative session this week, prompting a police investigation. No one was hurt.

Democratic Rep. Leslie Combs of Pikeville issued a statement saying the shot was fired unintentionally Tuesday and that state police assigned to the Capitol found no evidence to indicate any portion of the discharged round left her office.

Combs did not offer details, but a House colleague who said he was in her office at the time described it as an accident.

"She was emptying the weapon and she thought that it was empty and pointed it away and down and pulled the trigger and it went off," said Rep. Jeff Greer, D-Brandenburg. "Thankfully, no one was hurt. I know she feels terrible about it. ... It's just an unfortunate event."

Greer said he had stopped by Combs' office to talk about legislation. The two lawmakers were the only ones in her office when the shot from the semi-automatic handgun was fired, he said.

Kentucky State Police Sgt. Jason Palmer, who heads the legislative security unit, said there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing and that no charges would be filed.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
"Thought it was empty"????? If you're going to pull the trigger you better damn well know for sure the chamber is empty. You don't guess about these things. Sounds to me like she doesn't know her weapon well enough.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
mistaken%20gunfire--1997392205_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

" I always have a loaded gun in my office..so what's the problem and please no blonde jokes".

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Kentucky State Rep. Leslie Combs accidentally fires her gun while cleaning it | Mail Online

''I'm a gun owner. It happens,' she said today after news of yesterday's accident broke.:facepalm:

The Democratic representative was cleaning her semi-automatic handgun inside her office when it accidentally fired and a bully ricocheted, hitting a bookshelf.
'I was purposely disarming it to put it up because I didn’t like it and I didn’t want to use it any more,' she said.

'I had had it in my purse I carry usually, and I thought "I’m going to put that sucker away."'

Last edited:

ninja man

Full Access Member
what an idiot. why would you pull the trigger after unloading it? one in the chamber.... hello?!?!?! even my 7 year old girl knows not to do that. and the part about how she is a gun owner and its happens.... what a load of crap. it happens because idiots like her dont know the basics of gun handling. no wonder they want to ban guns, look who has them. what are the odds that there are going to be new gun laws of some sort, after this?

STF

Full Access Member
A guy here in Waco did that in the courthouse a little while back. Went through a window.

Bluez

Full Access Member
If that had been a republican it would be all over the national news.

But but the story as they say got "spiked"

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
A republican would have been made an example of to further the anti gun agenda.

"See, if so and so can't handle a gun properly why would we expect anyone else capable of doing so"?

Just like this Chris Christie traffic jam thing. It's gotten more coverage than Fast& furious, IRS, NSA and Benghazi combined.

Arckadian

Just a little point of fact here. I don't know what weapon was fired, but for the XDs the only way to get the slide off is to pull the trigger. Granted you would have to be pretty stupid not to check the chamber first BEFORE pulling that trigger, but in this instance there is no other way to get the slide off the weapon without trying to break something.

If it was a weapon with a similar system ( I only know of the XDs) I can see a really dumb move being made here. I always check the chamber, even though it has the pin that shows if a round is in there or not. But again its a design issue.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
There are a number of guns that have to be fired in order to remove the slide. But from the article, that's not what she was doing. She was just trying to unload it. Well, she did it the loud way. Fortunately nobody got in the way.

Arckadian

From what I saw about the post Mockster put up the title had cleaning the gun in it. I could be mistaken of course.

armoredman

Full Access Member
Of course it did. Like the Democrat who carried a gun onto an airplane and got away with it. It truly is who you are in determining punishment/guilt.
'I was purposely disarming it to put it up because I didn’t like it and I didn’t want to use it any more,' she said.
Ma'am, make us all happy - put yourself away from law making before more bad judgment causes legislative negligent discharges.

ninja man

Full Access Member
i have an xd. a springfield xd40 subcompact to be exact. yes you have to pull the trigger to remove the slide, but the slide needs to be pulled back before you can push the release lever up. and pulling the slide back would also eject the cartridge (if one was still there) therefore leaving the chamber empty. how she did this is beyond me. i would expect the ruger she had would have some sort of similiar process to remove the slide.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts