Kimber Help

CBizzle

Sell it, buy a Sig and spend the remaining cash on ammo. Problem solved :cheers:

It was an anniversary gift from my wife. Needless to say its a keeper piece.

I field stripped it today and wetted the girl up real good. Worked the slide a bit. Plan to shoot it tomorrow. Lord knows I could use the practice. Still would like to consider myself a good shot with my 1911's but I've got some work to do.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Don't want a pissed off wife that knows firearms :rotflmao:

Kimber's are definitely nice. I just hate the fact that you have to run xxx amount of rounds through most of them before they're reliable. A friend of mine had one for a short period and had some of the same issues you're having. Good luck with it

kwo51

Full Access Member
Keep it wet. I love mine so much they don't get carried for fear of wear. Glocks get beat and I don't care.

CBizzle

Sent another 150 rounds down the pipe today. Started off with the Chip McCormick power mags which had instant failures in the first 20 rounds. Switched it to the Kimber mags and thought problem solved as I squeezed off close to 100 flawless rounds. All of a sudden, the failures started occurring with the Kimber mag now leaving me in the same boat.

A friend who is on top of the 1911 game is suggesting I switch to a 9lb recoil spring. Gonna give that a shot but am also calling kimber in the meantime.

DBFA802D-F360-4F01-9B5E-739D5131B6BC-5189-0000054BC9D77131_zpsf35879aa.jpg

All of the failures but one looked like this. Round doesnt even get extracted from the mag.

4B065D71-7AAE-4172-8996-DA49C9DEC6BE-5189-0000054BB051FDD6_zps6dde2eb7.jpg

This one was interesting...

519EA677-A9B8-4948-813D-CCD0436DF916-5189-0000054BBE7D65AD_zps1b02ab83.jpg

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I think you need to polish the feed ramp, I had a pf9 that did the same thing and i sent it back and they returned it with polished feed ramp no problems after that.....
Concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
I would let Kimber do it.Unless they gave you the OK. Difference between PF9 and Kimber is about $700. You can never put metal back on without good welding skills.Feed ramps on 1911 are different from most other guns. Keep it wet.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Yeah I did not do it I sent it back to them, I was not suggesting he do it himself, its a whole different animal for sure. But i would call first like the op said he was gonna due......
Concealed 27

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
9lb recoil spring? My Sig 1911 came with a 16lb and I am going to try an 18lb next time out with it.

Side note. My Sig is at the gunsmith's now getting a trigger job and a few odds and ends. The gunsmith I am using is a very well known 1911 guru. He primarily builds race guns and full on custom 1911's. According to him he works on more Kimber's than any other factory built 1911. His said they are using a lot of MIM parts and the overall quality has really declined over the years.

CBizzle

Talked to Kimber and they emailed me a prepaid packing slip. Will be getting it off to them shortly. Will update once I get it back. Just hope they get it figured out.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
a
Talked to Kimber and they emailed me a prepaid packing slip. Will be getting it off to them shortly. Will update once I get it back. Just hope they get it figured out.

Me too for your sake hope that it's nothing major for ya brother, lets us know what u find out.....concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
Rampectamy!!!! and they get to break your gun in for you!!! Have nothing but good for them,even though they are in NY.

CBizzle

Waiting on UPS today for the gun. I have no idea what they've done with it so I hope they include a note or I guess I'm calling to figure out what their findings were.

In the meantime I did a little shopping in anticipation for a what I hope to consider my new and improved Kimber.

E8688832-8912-4A6F-B148-4D637CBA65C7-12781-00000E3B48E4F2A0_zps60d12d38.jpg

VZ operator ii grips
Kimber beveled magwell
Wilson combat ETM mags

I will update once the brown truck arrives.

kwo51

Full Access Member
My guess is you will be happy happy happy. Let us know and be self aware of limp wrist.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Can't wait to see it once you dress it up!! I have been looking at the VZ grips myself. They look nice.

The Wilson magazines are the best IMO. Plan on getting a couple more myself.

CBizzle

Got her back. Packing list stated they adjusted extractor and slide stop. Test fired 4 mags of various ammo.

Probably should have tested it first myself before installing the MSH magwell but decided against it.

The good news is it looks badass with the new vz grips, vz screws, magwell, and the Wilson combat ETM mag fits factory. Looks like a new gun and now I hope it shoots like one!

A6B4E09A-59E1-4B19-A515-8F41C2115BF3-13099-00000E7AC40A7650_zps3bb1311e.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts