Kid's first rifle

oppo

Full Access Member
My grandson is only 6 months old so, I have plenty of time but can't wait till he is old enough to teach him how to shoot. Of course, this is a great excuse, I mean reason, to buy a new rifle. I was looking at a crickett earlier and it looks like pretty much perfect for a young kid to learn with. It is small, obviously, is a single shot bolt action, and needs to be manually cocked rather than cocking while cycling the bolt. It also has pretty decent irons (rear peep) and is tapped for scope mounts. It also happens to be really cheap. Does anyone have any experience with these or other youth rifles or any thoughts on youth guns in general?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
What's wrong with a good old AR 15? If need be only load one round at a time and work your way up. With the adjustable butt stock it's something he can grow with. They're available in a .22lr too.

oppo

Full Access Member
What's wrong with a good old AR 15? If need be only load one round at a time and work your way up. With the adjustable butt stock it's something he can grow with. They're available in a .22lr too.

Absolutely nothing wrong with an AR. In fact, I would like to add one in 22lr to my own collection. I just don't like the idea of using any semiautomatic to teach a young kid to shoot. I like knowing there won't be a live round in the chamber if they get excited and swing the muzzle in an unsafe direction. I also think that a single shot helps promote the idea of making each shot count. Once he learns the basics and proves himself to be safe, he will definitely get trigger time with my AR's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts