Just had my first squibb.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Today I just had my first squibb (sp?) in an AR15 ( or any firearm for that matter)

SIG 516 with store bought ammo (once used brass factory reloads).

I didnt notice that it was a squibb thought it was simply a failure to feed properly and loaded another round..
Another failure ot feed loaded another magazine.

Luckily the squibb was so close to the chamber it prevented the bolt from going fully into battery.

if it had been a little deeper I would have inadvertently fired another round on top of it.

This drives home the importance of quality ammo for SHTF, who carries a rod with them when they are out in the bush?

Bluez

Full Access Member
The scary thing is I didnt realize it was a squibb and thought either ammo or magazine or even rifle might be at fault and kept reloading to fire to try to find out which it is.

it was foolish :3811797817_8d685371

next time when firring lower end Ammo I'll know to be on the lookout.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Expect it any time no matter what flavor ammo you are using. Precheck all ammo before us if possible. Running a wheel gun in state 48 and found a lite set primer that pulled from the case when the cylinder was closed. Gun locked up and needed to be beat open. Top of the line ammo.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Not sure really.....

I <was> wearing double plugs ( soft plues elefan tears) to protect my hearing.

I noticed normal firing then "click".

Thought the click was a failure ot fire and ejected the round.

But it fell among a small mountain of brasss a couple inhces past the firing line and i never found it to examine it.

Then I reloaded had another click.

Thought it was a flawed mag ( first time using a Tnagodown but that seems like a GREAT mag).

Then I changed mags relaoded and tried to drive on but "click"

on exmaination of the rounds the bullte was pushed in in front.

It finally occured ot me to open up the rifle and check for obstruction.

But in hindsight it took me too long to get there since my normalcy bias made me expect other things since i never had a squibb before.

This is a very creepy because a squibb is something I cannot just quickly fix in a SHTF moment by applying SPORTS.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
I hear that.
It would have been disasterfull if that would have fired the next round, I just could`nt imagine the amount of destruction it could have caused, to the firearm and to the body.
Might be something on youtube, I do`nt have the time right now to check, but I will later today.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Here`s a quick one from liveleak.
I`m thinking this could have happened to your rifle if You would have been persistent and kept trying, like this guy did.
I think that by Him trying several rounds, that each time the squib was driven a bit further into the bore, or else He finally hit on a round that the slug went deeper into the casing. Whatever, the results was not pretty.
LiveLeak.com - AR-15 Blows up in guys face

Bluez

Full Access Member
Yes there was a risk of bad things happening.. I always wear a qulity goggles and elefant ears. which do provide spome protection for softer face parts.

All my barrels are cold hammer forges 41V45 steel which I htink will give me a little extra safety margin too:)

But scary thought of your rifle becoming inop like this during SHTF while you're shooting it out whit the Mutant Zombie Communist Cannibal Bikers

kwo51

Full Access Member
Firing a friends reloads in my 30.o6 the bullet blew out the primer and sent the bolt and other parts to my face.Round did make it out of the gun but even with double plugs it did not sound right. No more reloads unless I have made them !!!!!!!

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Firing a friends reloads in my 30.o6 the bullet blew out the primer and sent the bolt and other parts to my face.Round did make it out of the gun but even with double plugs it did not sound right. No more reloads unless I have made them !!!!!!!

You got lucky KWO, glad that you were not severly injured.... you and ur wife have raised a great family and they are raising your grandkids the same way you did... I bet you about shit yourself...lol, glad u were not injured my friend.
Concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
That was the second semi-auto I have had spontaneous rapid disassemble with. After the first one it was 15 years before I would trust a semi-auto hand gun. One rifle and a pistol the guns blew apart in my hands.Both were top of the line guns, one was ammo related and the other was a slam fire.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Looks like someone started one with the Navy today. Why do they even let ostupid talk. I can't even get all the Bullshit off of my shoes and hes back spreading more.

Members online

No members online now.