is the 3 inch Revolver the sweet spot based on this data?

Bluez

Full Access Member
Based on this data I see only very small increase in muzzle velocity for a given ammuntion going from a 3 inch revolver to a 4 inch revolver or even 4.25 inch revolver.

Both in 38 SPC and .357 magnum...

The key graphic is at 2:24 (The 4 inch M28 clearly had an issue of some kind hence the unusual velocity drop off to the 3 inch for all ammos.). I focus for my comparison on the 3 inch M66 vs the 4 inch Smith 686 and 4.25 GP100.
Surprisingly very small amounts of increase only.
I did not analyze the extreme barrels lengths such as 2 inch or 6 inch

Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkQ5UOj7wg

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
It will depend on a variety of factors including bullet weight, velocity necessary for proper bullet performance, individual barrels, and of course the powder used. Some loads will gain little in longer barrels, particularly with small charges of fast burning powders. Large loads of slow burning powders such as H110, W296, lil'gun, 300-mp, etc. will continue to gain velocity, even with rifle length barrels. Then, of course, there is the issue of what feels right to you and what you shoot well. Also, longer barrels will have a longer sight radius.

It is also important to note that comparing relatively similar barrel lengths of different firearms is almost useless as different individual barrels can produce significantly different velocities.

Unless we are talking about carry, my personal preference is no less than a 4" barrel for a revolver or a pistol.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

This sight is pretty interesting as they test multiple loads at different lengths by cutting down the same barrel which gives fairly consistent results. They also test several firearms and you can clearly see that they vary considerably.

oppo

Full Access Member
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8WNQxIjutc[/ame]

FWIW, my personal preference in 357 magnum defensive loads are the old school 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoints like the old Remington load. These loads are hot, fragment, and are downright violent. Some will do north of 1700 fps from a 6" revolver. Many of the modern bonded 357 magnum loads are so focused on the standard FBI tests that they are basically just a 9mm round.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Oppo, can you recommend an affordable round in that class?

That Remington is spendy I bet ..

I usually stash Fiocchi 142 gr with the flatteded bullet front but FMJ.
Its advertised as 1420 ft/sec our of "reference revolver." which probably means 6 inch or longer barrel.

Even so I shot it a lot and its clearly a much hotter round than average.

here is a link to it:
I thought its hot enough it doesnt need to be HP or JHP for 2 legged critters...also the FMJTC is hard enough to give alot of penetration for tough animals for versatility as a field gun.
Also in SHTF (which I stash for) overpenetration not an issue

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...7-magnum-fmj-tc-142-grain-50-rounds?a=1583546

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP (Per 50) Md: 357D, 357 Mag Pistol Ammunition | LG Outdoors UPC 762344706429

This was the best price I found. The Fiocchi load isn't quite as hot but it is definitely more affordable. I have also seen the Remington HTP load for a little more at about 40 cents per round. Personally, I keep a few of the more expensive loads for social work and shoot what I can find cheap for practice.

If I were using a 357 for woods carry, I would just go with a 158 grain soft point to get some expansion combined with deep penetration.

Right now I have 125 grain Buffalo Bore in my 6" GP100 but plan on switching to the old Remington load whenever I buy more hollowpoints. I highly doubt anyone on the wrong end of the barrel could tell the difference between any of these loads but that old Remington load has proven itself for a lot of years and, while not cheap, is cheaper than most premium defensive ammo and certainly cheaper than the Buffalo Bore. I would go broke in a hurry shooting much of that stuff.

Bluez

Full Access Member
357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP (Per 50) Md: 357D, 357 Mag Pistol Ammunition | LG Outdoors UPC 762344706429

This was the best price I found. The Fiocchi load isn't quite as hot but it is definitely more affordable. I have also seen the Remington HTP load for a little more at about 40 cents per round. Personally, I keep a few of the more expensive loads for social work and shoot what I can find cheap for practice.

If I were using a 357 for woods carry, I would just go with a 158 grain soft point to get some expansion combined with deep penetration.

Right now I have 125 grain Buffalo Bore in my 6" GP100 but plan on switching to the old Remington load whenever I buy more hollowpoints. I highly doubt anyone on the wrong end of the barrel could tell the difference between any of these loads but that old Remington load has proven itself for a lot of years and, while not cheap, is cheaper than most premium defensive ammo and certainly cheaper than the Buffalo Bore. I would go broke in a hurry shooting much of that stuff.

that fiocchi 125gr is listed as same velocity as the 142gr FMJ...
I am hopeful the extra velocity will "make up" for not being JHP.. :)

I also ahve small amounts of Federal Blue Box JHPs here somewhere.. but those I wouldnt carry in the woods.
subjectively noticably less recoil than the 142 gr fiocchi FMJ

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts