I am so stoked to go to this course

Bluez

Full Access Member
Yeah the video rocks,m especially when you turn up the music.

I noticed that a lot of the students look kinda buff.
I gotta bring that A game if I am going to wrestle around with them

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Update:
Just came back
This thing is hard-as-nails.
2.5 day course in South Carolina, started friday nite.
All attendees were high testosterone types and the vast majority quite fit.

In its own way physically harder than say Max Velocity which in itself is more physical than most others.

Saturday nite for example after an 11 hour day of constant drills and frequent Thunderdome style fights, some of us just laid flat in our beds breahintg heavy w/o even the strenght to raise oneself against the cushion to watch TV.
I was worried that I might be getting too old for this but I got through w/o injuries. (not counting cuts/bruises/welts/black spots)

More detailed AAR later.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I think I will try to take this course again this year.
Somehow will have to find the money for it.

Priorities..

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I know it's an old post but out of curiousity....

So did you learn some of the tactical maneuvers to disarm a subject??? There is alot of scenario training online for FREE. It gives a senario. You pause it and think how you'd handle it, or what you'd do. Then you continue and they show you what and how you should have handled it. It's great training because it plants these thoughts in your head. In the event you ever get in a similar scenario in real life, then you have an idea of how to react or not react. Reason I ask is because many times in close quarters, it's best that you DO NOT pull your weapon because by the time you've pulled yours, you're dead. In many close quareter scenarios it's best to strip the bad guy of his gun and use it on him and/or pulls yours after you've stripped his and fire yours.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I know it's an old post but out of curiousity....

So did you learn some of the tactical maneuvers to disarm a subject??? There is alot of scenario training online for FREE. It gives a senario. You pause it and think how you'd handle it, or what you'd do. Then you continue and they show you what and how you should have handled it. It's great training because it plants these thoughts in your head. In the event you ever get in a similar scenario in real life, then you have an idea of how to react or not react. Reason I ask is because many times in close quarters, it's best that you DO NOT pull your weapon because by the time you've pulled yours, you're dead. In many close quareter scenarios it's best to strip the bad guy of his gun and use it on him and/or pulls yours after you've stripped his and fire yours.

Yes we spent a lot of time on the practical applications.
Most of our "fights" were attempts to disarm the other guy or prevent ourselves from being disarmed.

The fight would usually end by one guy getting control of the guy and ending the fight by shooting the other at point blank range with sim-munitions (ouch!)

And when the guy is too close.. yes he can close with you faster than you can pull your gun and shoot him..and you will have to fight off of you him with fisticuffs in order to be able to pull your gun.

Since no one wants to be shot with simuntions these were some hard fought drills.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Here's the other deal about your training. While training, it's set up and you're expecting the guy to be trying to take it from you. In a real life situation, that thug is normally just as scared as you are and he's wanting to get away quick. YOU, as the target or victim, having been trained, practiced the scenario in your mind and physically, you have the advantage without doubt, because that thug is not even considering you disarming him. He's expecting you to be a cowardly pussy and not put up a fight whatsoever.

The only part I don't like about this video is it ends with hold him at gunpoint til Police get there. NOPE, it's pull the trigger 2 chest 1 head and then call the Police.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFBqeNVZV0

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
What was that magic number. 21 ft. comes to mind. If said attacker is within 21 ft. They can get to you faster than you can draw. It becomes time for close quarters combat. I hope I never find myself in that situation. I know that my size has been a deterrent in the past and they've moved on to easier targets. But sometimes "Crazy" doesn't take that into consideration.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Same here .. I am ,.. well used to be, a 235 lbs weight lifter and dabbled a bit in martial arts.., I am still 235 lbs but not just from lifting if you get my drift..

But I still have the swagger and some of the muscles are left... so I dont get bothered..

But there's always a first time.

Full Access Member
I am still working on it, went from about 225 lbs down to 175 lbs, i walk 2 to 4 miles every day, and do resistance training 3 to 4 times a week. For an old guy i'm starting to firm up, it's kinda hard to put on muscle at this age, but i am getting there, definition is starting to show, and am happy with my gains. I was so out of shape a year ago, if i got down on the floor, i had to have something to pull myself up on to get up. Use it or lose it my friends.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I am up and down on and off my knees working on garage doors (stupid safety sensors). My knees are wearing out. I may need surgery someday but I hope that day is still a ways off. I'm carrying 300lbs. but I'm 6'9" so my size is also working against me. I'm in pretty decent shape other than stuff wearing out. I also need something to grab ahold of to assist myself up. I could probably do it unassisted. But I prefer using my upper body to help my lower body.

Last edited:

Full Access Member
I am up and down on and off my knees working on garage doors (stupid safety sensors). My knees are wearing out. I may need surgery someday but I hope that day is still a ways off. I'm carrying 300lbs. but I'm 6'9" so my size is also working against me. I'm in pretty decent shape other than stuff wearing out. I also need something to grab ahold of to assist myself up. I could probably do it unassisted. But I prefer using my upper body to help my lower body.

I did steel stud framing, and drywall for 40+ yrs, my joints are shot, and i'm not talking about the one's you smoke. :handshake:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Tommorow am going to meet another graduate of the course. We will go running first together and then ( after a suitable break) review the material.

We meant to do this last year but never got around to it..

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I did steel stud framing, and drywall for 40+ yrs, my joints are shot, and i'm not talking about the one's you smoke. :handshake:

Good Ole commercial drywall. When I lived in So Cali doing it, I was a member of 1506 in LA then later transfered to Orange County 2361.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
For us big guys, me being 6'2 260 for most of life, now up in age closer to 280 and needing to lose some, even at age 52, I still move around quite aggressive. I've always taken my size for granted and being a fast walker etc, I never realized people just got out of my way when they seen me coming. Hell, I just thought they were being considerate. My wife, now ex being 5'3 105 said she always liked going places with me because people just moved out of the way for us, that when she's alone they just stood there like idiots and she's have to walk around everyone. I couldn't figure out why that was. She said my size and actions are intimidating. I then thought well shit, I'm not trying to be a bully and she informed me that's just how it is.
With that being said, if we bigger types have something the thugs want, we're the ones that are going to get shot and we make big targets too.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
One Christmas eve a friend called and needed me to take him to the store (of all days). He was on some medication and he didn't feel comfortable driving. So off I go and picked him up and took him to probably the most crowded store he could find. He's lolly gagging around and it's getting late. I needed to call my wife (this was before mobile phones) and I couldn't get through on the phone at the front of the store.

He's finally picked out everything he needed and checked out. This store had a rear entrance which is where I was parked. My temper was short and I wanted out of there. I took off for the rear entrance apparently with a "don't screw with me look" on my face. As I was briskly walking down isles toward the rear of the store people were literally diving out of my way. My friend was laughing uncontrollably at the expressions and actions of the people looking for a safe place to get.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts