Did some shooting today

Bluez

Full Access Member
A buddy rolled me some real HOT 357 Magnum loads.

So I broke out my prisitne GP100 in 4 inch SS, vs my normal 3 inch GP100 SS.

The reason is that the 3 inch has a slimmed frame and topstrap and with such a hot load I wanted the full strenght frame strap.

The rounds are 160 gr and according to the excel sheet with this load should do about 1580-1590 fps out of the reference revolver.

Like I said HOT would be +P+ is there was such a rating for 357 Magnum.

Now my revolve ris 4 inch barrel so maybe alittle less speed but even so...

I got a big fireball w/ every shot and the range master said he could see the condensation like of the bullet in the air as it shot to the target.
Said was first time he every said that.

It was fun.

The recoil was not bad at all w/ the 40 oz GP100.

I am sure it would have been unpleasant with a lighter revolver like says a S&W Model 65.
I had one of those before and even regular 357 Mag where unpleasant to shoot.

When home and cleaned the revolver and its nice and pristine now again and next to my bed :)

oppo

Full Access Member
I realize you are probably leery of posting it but I am curious what the load was.

Bluez

Full Access Member
my buddy did the actual load.
I may get that info from him sometime

he said "according to the book" the 160 gr FMJ should run at 1580-1590 fps on the reference revolver.

Of course the reference revolver is 6 inch and this is 4 inch,,,

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
I am gonna guess he used a max book load of H 110 or W 296 (same powder). Hodgdon lists that load at 1591 with a 158 grain bullet. If so, they use a 10" barrel. H 110 is basically the standard for magnum revolver cartridges. It works really well when pushed hard.

One of these days, I want to try some of the, relatively, new 300 MP. It shows to produce outstanding velocities from magnum revolver cartridges. It is the only powder I have seen that actually outperforms H 110. (lil gun is right up there with H 110 but has issues)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.