DI vs Piston

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Just finished cleaning my SIG716 from a trip to the range. It is my first experience with a piston AR. Have to say so far I am a big fan. Cleaning is quick and easy. Piston removal is a snap. No tools needed for a complete cleaning.

Prior to this my experience has been military DI M16A1, CAR15, M60, etc. Those were always a pain to keep clean.

If you haven't tried a piston AR yet I highly reccommed giving one a test drive.

DrkSide

Full Access Member
Good thoughts. I am looking at Piston vs DI for my first AR build and this may just push me to the piston. What are the drawbacks to the piston? I have heard that it adds weight to the front of the weapon.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
The piston does add a little weight. Not bad though. It still points great and no problem holding a sight picture. The short stroke piston seems to the way to go for accuracy.

Hit your LGS or gun show where you can handle both.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I am envious of your SIg 716. been wanitng one.

I started out with Di guns ( 23 years army) and found may of the negatives associated with piston guns are urban legends.

For example my Sig 516 shoots just as smooth as my DDM4V5

DI guns are by no means passe. but since i enjoy something special and a little different i am going all piston now :)

Bluez

Full Access Member
Maybe if Piston guns were the standard all the cool kids would now be converting to DI for the weight savings! :Get him!:

PS: I am converting my collection to piston for the fun of it not because my DI guns have ever failed me

Members online

No members online now.