Defensive pistol suggestions for mom

oppo

Full Access Member
She is in her 60's and has arthritis. For now, she is borrowing my Glock 19. For the most part, she does ok with it and doesn't mind the recoil but it does cause her arthritis to act up and she has more difficulty loading the magazines than anything else. I am sure the magazine issue could be resolved pretty easily with a maglula or something similar. I am thinking something like the new shield 380 might be ideal. It has an easy to operate slide, no manual safety (she isn't going to train enough to rely on a more complex manual of arms), and should have fairly mild recoil allowing more practice (hopefully) and faster follow up shots. I have also considered simply going to a different 9mm with better ergonomics and/or more weight. Beretta 92's are very soft shooters but I am thinking the large grip might be an issue. Also, she recently got her license to carry and, of course, the larger and heavier the gun, the less likely she is to actually carry it on a daily basis. Obviously the correct answer is to let her try some of these and she what she likes but pointing her in the right direction will help her find one that suits her.

oppo

Full Access Member
How about a 38 SPC revolver?
Super easy to use and in SA a real easy trigger

Not a bad idea and it would certainly solve the magazine loading issue. I have actually considered the idea of an older S&W.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My wife doesn't have the hand strength to rack a slide so we got her a S&W 38 Bodyguard with the laser. There's no exposed hammer so it won't get caught on anything. The 38 won't kick out of her hands. Point and pull trigger. Nothing else to have to try and remember in a stressful situation.

10062_01_lg_0.jpg

Corneileous

My mom has a little DA Taurus 357 snub-nose revolver that she likes. She just shoots 38’s out of it. Good little gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Once I seen arthritis, my suggestion immediately goes to Revolver. Not only can loading a mag be an issue, but racking a slide can be too for some arthritis patients.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My wife's carry gun is a little S&W revolver. She doesn't have the hand strength to rack a semi auto of any caliber with stopping power. (Me screaming at wife like a drill instructor) "Rack that Desert Eagle. It's just a little old 44 Mag you maggot". No, I don't call my wife a maggot. Just a joke. So we have her gun loaded with 38spl so she can handle the recoil as well.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
If it were my mom, I'd have to set set her up with a Mossberg pump shotgun for home protection and a revolver for carry.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
If it were my mom, I'd have to set set her up with a Mossberg pump shotgun for home protection and a revolver for carry.

My older aunt was asking about a shotgun. I advised her to stay away from 12ga or even 20ga. I don't think she is strong enough to handle the recoil. I suggested a .410. Still get the shotgun spread without the big kick. Mossberg even makes the Shockwave in a .410.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts