coyote gun

Wilson

what would be a good one that I could fit in a tractor. would like laser sight problem is I don't know sd law on hand guns I'm more of a rifle man.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
For sure a rifle would be the best for a Coyote gun. Are you wanting it just to control the nuisance or are you actually hunting them for a purpose? If it's just nuisance control, then I'd just go with your standard deer hunting rifle that you probably already have set up with a scope. Then you could could get a rig set up just like guys use to carry rifles on their ATV's mounted to your tractor. :shrug: That's what I'd do.

At what range are you wanting to shoot them at? Are they approaching you on your tractor? I'd say they'd need to be pretty close to you for a laser to be beneficial, let alone the shot too. I'd also imagine a laser would turn them away and they run off.

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
In deep south Louisiana, we take care of our coyote population with the good old "tap power" of a scoped AR15. "Them be some sneaky rascals!"

TacticalAdvantage

Full Access Member
a 22-250 or a .223, or a .243 would be good for Coyote. The .243 if you are shooting from a distance. If you are able to draw them in closer, just a plain jane .22 LR is good. :shooter:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
a 22-250 or a .223, or a .243 would be good for Coyote. The .243 if you are shooting from a distance. If you are able to draw them in closer, just a plain jane .22 LR is good. :shooter:

I agree, those small caliber high velocity rounds are perfect for small and medium varmits. But I sure wouldn't go out and buy another gun just to shoot nuisance animals. Unless of course I just needed a good excuse to tell the wife why I needed a new gun. :rofl: But I'd save it for my ace in the hole.

Until then, I'd use whatever I had for a deer rifle, .270, 30-06, 30-30, 7mm and I do know some that do even use .223 and .243 for Deer hunting. Not me though. To damn old to chase them down. I use a 30-06 or .300 Win Mag for hunting, and also use it for taking out the Beavers when I see them swimming on the pond. Overkll but effective. Then the snapping turtles, hawks and bobcats take care of it.

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
Coyote is about the only animal I do not go after with my pistols. Too quick for me to set up on. You will need to decide on the ranges you will be shooting at as to the type of gun you will need. There are even good shotgun loads available now. I have to use a shotgun or a rimfire during the nite time hours here in Michigan. Daylight I use a 17 Squirrel. The squirrel is a 22 Hornet case that has been shortened and necked down to .17 cal.
If it was me, on a tractor, it would be a semi auto of some design in either a rifle or shotgun.
Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.
Steve.

TacticalAdvantage

Full Access Member
I agree, those small caliber high velocity rounds are perfect for small and medium varmits. But I sure wouldn't go out and buy another gun just to shoot nuisance animals. Unless of course I just needed a good excuse to tell the wife why I needed a new gun. :rofl: But I'd save it for my ace in the hole.

Until then, I'd use whatever I had for a deer rifle, .270, 30-06, 30-30, 7mm and I do know some that do even use .223 and .243 for Deer hunting. Not me though. To damn old to chase them down. I use a 30-06 or .300 Win Mag for hunting, and also use it for taking out the Beavers when I see them swimming on the pond. Overkll but effective. Then the snapping turtles, hawks and bobcats take care of it.
Coyote is gaining support as a critter that is good to go after, on its own merits, in between hunting seasons. The Larger deer rifles are good for shooting and killing it... but, if you get one that has a good coat on it, a nice thick fur.. that can also be good for some extra bucks in your pocket. If that is what one wants.... go with the smaller caliber round, many times it will not exit, and there will only be one small hole to sew up, instead of a large tear that can devalue a fur

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Coyote is gaining support as a critter that is good to go after, on its own merits, in between hunting seasons. The Larger deer rifles are good for shooting and killing it... but, if you get one that has a good coat on it, a nice thick fur.. that can also be good for some extra bucks in your pocket. If that is what one wants.... go with the smaller caliber round, many times it will not exit, and there will only be one small hole to sew up, instead of a large tear that can devalue a fur

No doubt, for that purpose I'd agree. Why I asked what his purpose was. Point I was making, if it's just a nuisance thing, like we have with Beaver, I wouldn't go out and buy another gun just for that. Also depending on how good you are and the distance, a head shot will take care of it too and save the fur.

I also don't care to see animals suffer. I understand the whole nuisance thing, the need for food, and the sport too, but if you're gonna do it, do it and be done. I used to shoot Beaver on our ponds with a 10/22. Even with a head a couple head shots at about 50-75 yards, they'll dive, come back up wounded swimming for the opposite shore crawl out and lay there, kick, squirm, whine and pant for air for several minutes. I started using the SKS. Now they pretty much kinda make a little jump in the water, splash for a few seconds and done. The hawks and the turtles take care of the rest.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
AR platform would be ideal. It can take the abuse of bouncing on the tractor, dust, etc. Effective out to about 300 yards. Low recoil. Cheap to feed.

Or just mount this to the tractor.

minigun2.jpg

oppo

Full Access Member
Depending on the AR and what cartridge it is chambered for, the effective range is a lot more than 300 yards. I agree they make a great coyote rifle.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
AR platform would be ideal. It can take the abuse of bouncing on the tractor, dust, etc. Effective out to about 300 yards. Low recoil. Cheap to feed.

minigun2.jpg

Depending on the AR and what cartridge it is chambered for, the effective range is a lot more than 300 yards. I agree they make a great coyote rifle.

:rofl: Take out the whole pack in a matter of seconds.

Clint

minigun2.jpg

I don't know what that is but I want one! Lol

oppo

Full Access Member
M134 minigun

It fires thousands of rounds per minute instead of hundreds. :biggun::biggun::biggun::headbang:

Wilson

wow this site is diffrent than frf. where is my like botton? yes would need to take a beating in the tractor I like to think I'm a good shot. have got one in the head before like you say don't even like to see a rat suffer. I was thinking an automatic pistle that I could youse on deer for ease of fitting in a tractor. will an ar realy take the abuse is their video of some abuse it is willing to take? thanks for the help

Wilson

I figured out how nijaman is. and I saw a big cyote but was in a trap luckaly I missed when I shot at him lol I was a half mile away so I do get that. 30-06

TScottW99

Full Access Member
.223 is a great coyote round. For a tractor I would look at a beater used .223 bolt or maybe a low priced new one. The new Ruger American is a decent shooter and does not break the bank. If you don't want to keep the fur then I would shoot the 55 grain V-Max. Will drop them quick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts