Anybody Do Any Reloading?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Keep in mind, not only can you save some money making your own ammo but if no ammo is available or becomes cost prohibitive to purchase due to some event, you'll still be able to take care of yourself. I suspect one of the ways the Government might implement some sort of gun control is to limit or heavily tax factory ammo. If ammo is difficult to get, the gun becomes a hammer. One never knows. But the time to prepare isn't after the problem has occurred.

Last edited:

natgas

New to the forum and wanted to show my loading/mancave!

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0128-1.jpg

GarandMaster

I do reload I have a Dillon 450 converted to a 550 press that I use most of the time. however I also have two antique presses one is a Potter dual press. the other is a Dunbar. The Dunbar is so heavy duty it weighs about 60 lbs. But to get back on the main point if you load quite a bit you'll save money, but the main reason to reload is accuracy. You may have a particular gun that you might wan't to build a load for. Most bench rest shooters work up loads for all their guns and even have different loads for the same gun dependent upon certain conditions like temperature; wind; humidity or dryness. But I think the most important reason to reload is you know exactly what you've got. It erases one of the variables of accuracy. If you have a good gun that is sighted in properly and good ammunition then all you have to worry with is the aiming; trigger discipline; wind speed & direction. Then hell all the rest is easy.

Last edited:

Arkansasguns

Full Access Member
I already have the itch to reload and this just makes it worse! At the moment I really just don't have the space or time to start.

Humvee21

Full Access Member
I been reading up a lot on reloading. Seems pretty simple. I want to get into it but damn the cost of the equipment is a lot

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I been reading up a lot on reloading. Seems pretty simple. I want to get into it but damn the cost of the equipment is a lot

I bought a used MEC Grabber 12ga for $120. An older but still very good machine. Keep your eyes open on your local Craigslist. Sometimes deals do pop up. Just got a Lee Loadmaster .45. for $272 from Cabela's. That included the machine, extra set of 9mm dies and the case collator and shipping. I found and used a free shipping coupon code. Now it's time to start stocking up on consumables. Bought a set of digital calipers and scales from Harbor Freight for $20. So if you shop smart you can get set up.

Also found this website. It's the Craigslist of reloading. http://www.reloadersauction.com/

Armslist is a good place to look also. www.armslist.com

Last edited:

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
I bought a used MEC Grabber 12ga for $120. An older but still very good machine. Keep your eyes open on your local Craigslist. Sometimes deals do pop up. Just got a Lee Loadmaster .45. for $272 from Cabela's. That included the machine, extra set of 9mm dies and the case collator and shipping. I found and used a free shipping coupon code. Now it's time to start stocking up on consumables. Bought a set of digital calipers and scales from Harbor Freight for $20. So if you shop smart you can get set up.

Also found this website. It's the Craigslist of reloading. http://www.reloadersauction.com/

Armslist is a good place to look also. www.armslist.com

Yup, I got mine (Lyman turret press) from a professor with 6 or seven sets of dies for $200. Don't be afraid to buy used as long as it's a good company.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Getting the shop set up. I've ordered some brass. Now just need to get some bullets, powder and primers.
2012-12-01_14-31-43_671.jpg

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Save your.223/556 Once Fired Brass Only and I will see what we can due for a deal. If you are dumping them at the range Indoor/outdoor I will pay you for them..:happy107:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've been considering the same offer for 12 ga. shells, 9mm and .45 ACP. If you shoot it and don't want to keep the brass. I may be interested in it.

Mike Hammer

What kind of equipment do you use? Is there really any savings after equipment and supplies or is it just a hobby?

Reloading is alot of fun, its nice to shoot a bullet you made. Its also nice to down load the larger caliber cartridges a bit so its easier to shoot. I have 3 Dillions, 2 550B's and one 650 which I just keep for my 45 loads.

As far as saving money, many things factor in such as whats your time worth. I don't bother reloading 9mm or below. I just buy those.

Bottom line, I like to shoot my reloads any day of the week over factory. Some of my 1911 45's have 10lb wolf springs, compensated guns etc etc and you can't shoot factory in some of them.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I use a RCBS Rock Chucker. I find it does save money once you get set up. My .480 Ruger ammo alone saves me money. That stuff is $28 for a box of 20 around here and I load it way cheaper. I also make plinking loads which you can't buy.

Plus it is nice to tailor loads to your rifles and handguns.

DrkSide

Full Access Member
Where are you guys buying your supplies? Local or Online?

I am looking for a press right now, probably going to go with a Lee Turret as I don't shoot enough to justify a progressive. After I can reload I can finally afford to feed a .308 some, now to just buy a rifle.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Where are you guys buying your supplies? Local or Online?

I am looking for a press right now, probably going to go with a Lee Turret as I don't shoot enough to justify a progressive. After I can reload I can finally afford to feed a .308 some, now to just buy a rifle.

Good luck finding anything right now. Many distributors are out of stock. Not only was there a run on AR's and .223 ammo, there was a run on everything. I'm starting a reloading business and the wholesalers I'm working with are out of a lot of their supplies. I've got to wait for them to get their shipments before I can get any stock. It's incredible.

Lee makes a good press. I have a Loadmaster progressive in .45 and I have dies for 9mm and a set of dies for .40/10mm on the way. The best prices I've seen so far are from Graf & Sons. They also offer free shipping. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll see if I can shave a couple bucks off it for you. I'm not really set up to declare myself in business yet but I have made some connections. (Jeff, I'll be contacting you eventually to set up a vendor account).

Dillon and Hornady also make some excellent equipment but their prices run a bit more.

DrkSide

Full Access Member
Good luck finding anything right now. Many distributors are out of stock. Not only was there a run on AR's and .223 ammo, there was a run on everything. I'm starting a reloading business and the wholesalers I'm working with are out of a lot of their supplies. I've got to wait for them to get their shipments before I can get any stock. It's incredible.

Lee makes a good press. I have a Loadmaster progressive in .45 and I have dies for 9mm and a set of dies for .40/10mm on the way. The best prices I've seen so far are from Graf & Sons. They also offer free shipping. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll see if I can shave a couple bucks off it for you. I'm not really set up to declare myself in business yet but I have made some connections. (Jeff, I'll be contacting you eventually to set up a vendor account).

Dillon and Hornady also make some excellent equipment but their prices run a bit more.

Thanks for the info and I will let you know when I am set up. I looked at a Hornady L&L progressive but I only shoot maybe 200 rounds of 9mm a month right now so I can't justify the pricier presses.

Members online

No members online now.