7.62x39 AR-15?

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
So hopefully I'll be building a few AR's over the next few months. I've been trying to decide on what caliber would best suit my needs for a fun gun. I know I'd like to build one in .223/5.56 and thinking about building the other in 7.62x39. Does anyone here have an AR or have first hand experience with one chambered in 7.62x39? Any pointers to get me going in the right direction? Should I avoid or look for certain parts? Any known issues that are unavoidable?

Thanks

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Im would not go for an AK47 round....Go with the 300 BO, Not gonna cost you much more to build if your gunsmithing everything yourself. A lot of info on the link
:Caffeine:

300BlkTalk • View topic - 300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Thanks but I already have a AR in .300blk. I wanna do this build mainly because of ammo price and availability. I'm still seeing decent amounts of 7.62x39 out there at fair prices. Everything else is over a $1 a round if you can even find. Hopefully things will return to normal and then I'll have a plinker with knockdown power.

if you want an ar that runs ak ammo look at the rock river lar-47

Aren't they only taking pre-orders on that right now? Besides I already have all the parts to complete a lower for this build. I haven't committed myself to any upper parts so I can still change the caliber if I need to. I've been doing quite a bit of research and it seems that building a reliable 7.62x39 AR isn't too difficult. I'll need to use certain parts to make it work but I've been able to find everything online for a decent price so far

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Thanks but I already have a AR in .300blk. I wanna do this build mainly because of ammo price and availability. I'm still seeing decent amounts of 7.62x39 out there at fair prices. Everything else is over a $1 a round if you can even find. Hopefully things will return to normal

gotcha, you are right ive seen brown bear in alot of shops. A sporting goods store had the tul ammo for 400 bucks for 1000 rds... so I see wear your going there. I managed to pick up 100 green tip penatraders for $40..in223

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I'll try to post a parts list sometime tomorrow. That way if anyone wants to build their own they'll have a good starting point. I'm still researching so I may change some things but I feel like I've got it planned out fairly decently. Hopefully I've done my research properly lol

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I'd love to have an AR that shot 7.62x39. Yep, still get ammo for .25 per round when you can find it in stock. I've shot close to 3 thousand rounds of the Wolf 7.62x39 and I've only had 1 FTF round. The primer was nicely dotted and plenty deep. I did hear the little pop, so I'm going to assume that shell missed getting powder put in it. Knowing it's a safe round now, I've got it around here somewhere and used for a Christmas Tree ornament 1 year.

However, I do have an AK-47 and an SKS that shoot 7.62x39, so for my first AR, I probably would go with .223 since it can also be gotten for .25 per round, and in case I come across a stockplie of .223, I'd like to have something that will shoot it.

I'm fully aware the .223 is very accurate up to 500 yards, but I am satified with accuracy up to 300 yards and have some knock down energy where the .223 has about none.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I'll probably get a AK-47 eventually but it's just not in the plan right now. I have something with the same ergonomics that shoots 12g if that counts. I haven't seen much .223 and what I have seen is way overpriced. The 7.62x39 that I've seen was higher than before but still reasonable so that's one of the major deciding factors for this build.

I with ya on the accuracy thing. Besides, if I wanted something to shoot past 300 yards it wouldn't be a .223 or 7.62x39

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
This is a parts list of what I'll be using on this rifle assuming I can find these parts when I'm ready. I won't know for sure if I made the right decision on parts until I have everything, assemble the rifle and actually shoot it. From all the reading I've done over the last few days I feel like I have a good starting point although some of the items may change as I continue researching.

After reading a ton of info on other sites these first few items are what I feel will be necessary to build a reliable 7.62x39 AR. Although I still haven't made my mind up on which upper receiver and barrel they'll both have M4 feed ramps. I have read of others having to polish their feed ramps.

ASC mags
MGI enhanced bolt and firing pin
Upper receiver with M4 feed ramps
Barrel with M4 feed ramps

The rest is what I plan to use but doesn't matter what caliber I build in.

Spikes Tactical lower
Magpul MOE lower build kit
BCM Gunfighter mod4 charging handle
Whatever bolt carrier I can find lol (seems everyone is sold out)
YHM Todd Jarret quad rail
AAC Blackout flash hider
Optics are still undecided

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
For performance and GREAT ammo costs in an ar platform I would suggest 5.45x39. One of my personal favorite rounds, and just about the cheapest rifle ammo on the market. Adams Arms makes a very nice piston driven upper. I was very happy with mine.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
I'll have to check into the 5.45x39. Any known issues with it?

Not at all. I had an Adams Arms set up and it ran like a champ. The only "issues" you may find people bring up about the 5.45 is that a lot of the surplus ammo is corrosive. a simple spray down with windex after range session, (sounds odd but it neutralizes the corrosive properties), and problem solved. I think that also keeps the ammos cost down because people are afraid to use it. I've ran thousands of rounds of corrosive 5.45 through several guns and never had corrosion issues.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Good tip with the windex. Some claim the 7.62x39 is corrosive also so I'm sure that helps ammo cost. I'm ok with that. I'll just do a thorough cleaning after each day at the range

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
This is a parts list of what I'll be using on this rifle assuming I can find these parts when I'm ready. I won't know for sure if I made the right decision on parts until I have everything, assemble the rifle and actually shoot it. From all the reading I've done over the last few days I feel like I have a good starting point although some of the items may change as I continue researching.

After reading a ton of info on other sites these first few items are what I feel will be necessary to build a reliable 7.62x39 AR. Although I still haven't made my mind up on which upper receiver and barrel they'll both have M4 feed ramps. I have read of others having to polish their feed ramps.

ASC mags
MGI enhanced bolt and firing pin
Upper receiver with M4 feed ramps
Barrel with M4 feed ramps

The rest is what I plan to use but doesn't matter what caliber I build in.

Spikes Tactical lower
Magpul MOE lower build kit
BCM Gunfighter mod4 charging handle
Whatever bolt carrier I can find lol (seems everyone is sold out)
YHM Todd Jarret quad rail
AAC Blackout flash hider
Optics are still undecided

sounds like gonna be a fun build for ya... please show pics during build:Rock on:

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Once I commit myself fully to a certain caliber and collect a few more parts I'll start a build thread. I'm still about 85% sure it's gonna be 7.62x39 but I have been known to change my mind

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Good tip with the windex. Some claim the 7.62x39 is corrosive also so I'm sure that helps ammo cost. I'm ok with that. I'll just do a thorough cleaning after each day at the range

The only 7.62x39 that you really have to watch for corrosive properties is the copper washed ammo. Pretty easy to spot it.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I don't worry alot about corrosive ammo in my military guns. Many times you can pick it up cheap. Just be sure the first thing you do when you get home from shooting is clean the gun. Don't let it sit till the next weekend before cleaning it. And it really doesn't hurt or take long to clean your barrel right there before you pack up to come home if you brought your kit along with you. Just don't forget to clean the rest of the gun either, like the breech area, and hammer.
A big misconception about Corrosive ammo, is people get scared of it thinking it's the powder that is corrosive so your entire chamber and barrel are coated in the corrosive junk. Not true in 95% of the time, and maybe even 100% of the time now days, but it's ONLY the primer that puts off the corrosive powder, so how much is really getting down the barrel of your gun? Very very little if any.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Thanks for the heads up guys. My next few parts will probably be a stripped upper and quad rail. I'll probably do all the caliber specific parts at once

Members online

No members online now.