6.8SPC build

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I started with collecting pieces for a 6.8spc build last year around November. From a buying stand point that was entirely the wrong time to start a build. Luckily had put a lot of the parts that I needed on my Amazon wish list so I was able to build the complete lower. (Santa was kind, even if she did not know what she was buying) My upper is a at a stand still at the moment. When I get back from my fishing trip this week I plan on getting busy again.

Here is the Spikes Tactical "Jolly Rogers" lower.

I used a Daniel Defense parts kit for the build. I also used a Magpul ACS carbine stock, which I like a lot. I also put a Magpul ASAP sling plate on the lower.

So far for the upper all I have is the Yankee Hill Machine 6.8SPC stripped uppper.

Planning on a Wilson Combat barrel and BCG for the build so it might take awhile longer to save up the $$.

Last edited:

Smith

I'll ask since you are building. I keep reading about a lot of people refering to the 6.8SPC now as the 6.8SPCII. Whats the deal? Did something change with the cartridge?

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Thanks for posting pics Scott, I appreciate it.... lower looks good what kind of buffer did u use?

I used a LaRue carbine tube on the build and put a HBar buffer in it for the time being. I figure I'll have to play around with the buffers when I finally have it up and shooting.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I'll ask since you are building. I keep reading about a lot of people refering to the 6.8SPC now as the 6.8SPCII. Whats the deal? Did something change with the cartridge?

The Spec II was made from my understanding to help with some pressure problems. They lengthened the throat, much like the 5.56 vs .223rem to help with the pressure problem on the hotter ammo.

This rifle will have the Spec II chamber when I'm done.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Don't know, will have to wait & see. I'm already planning on a different trigger when funds allow. Might buy a stiffer hammer spring as I use CCI primers mostly & they are quite hard.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
16" Wilson Combat is the plan. I'm wanting it to be handy as my wife will deer hunt with it some. Ideally a up to 150 yard deer rifle.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Yes it will. However where I hunt it won't see a shot past that. Reason I am going with the 16" over a 18" or 20".

Smith

The Spec II was made from my understanding to help with some pressure problems. They lengthened the throat, much like the 5.56 vs .223rem to help with the pressure problem on the hotter ammo.

This rifle will have the Spec II chamber when I'm done.

SO will this be like the 5.56 and .223 deal where a 6.8SPCII could shoot the normal 6.8SPC? Been trying to decide what my next project will be. Was going to do a budget .223 but also considering the 6.8. Was actually considering the 6.8 before snatching a Grendel upper but couldn't find much info on the 6.8SPCII so went Grendel. Ive been reading too many stories of soldiers shooting guys with 5.56 and the enemy still coming right at them

kwo51

Full Access Member
Have you read the one about the Alaskan man that killed the polar bear with the M16. Shot placement. I still think the 223 is a sub caliber.Not made to kill but wound,as per NATO.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
SO will this be like the 5.56 and .223 deal where a 6.8SPCII could shoot the normal 6.8SPC? Been trying to decide what my next project will be. Was going to do a budget .223 but also considering the 6.8. Was actually considering the 6.8 before snatching a Grendel upper but couldn't find much info on the 6.8SPCII so went Grendel. Ive been reading too many stories of soldiers shooting guys with 5.56 and the enemy still coming right at them

Yes, you can shoot Spec I in your Spec II chamber. There are places where you can rent a Spec II chamber and ream out an old Spec I chamber if you wish. Also many gunsmiths can do it for you.

Smith

Yes, you can shoot Spec I in your Spec II chamber. There are places where you can rent a Spec II chamber and ream out an old Spec I chamber if you wish. Also many gunsmiths can do it for you.
Thanks for the Info. Been trying to decide if to go to 6.8 or .223 for the next gun. Im curious to see how you like yours

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I'm deciding what to do on my next build, I'm going to do the lower first then see what I want for an upper. I wanted to do a 300 blackout but as ranger danger said ammo is expensive and hard to find. I have seen 6.8 ammo more than the blackout and I can get it locally. I love the round for urban warfare, better for short distances IMO .....
Concealed 27

Smith

I'm deciding what to do on my next build, I'm going to do the lower first then see what I want for an upper. I wanted to do a 300 blackout but as ranger danger said ammo is expensive and hard to find. I have seen 6.8 ammo more than the blackout and I can get it locally. I love the round for urban warfare, better for short distances IMO .....
Concealed 27

My dad has a .300 BO and personally im not impressed unless its Suppressed which his is. I'm Leaning more and more towards a 6.8 because I see it almost as common as .223 around here.

Another potentially dumb question for you is this, Any standard upper will work for a 6.8SPCII Correct. I have been reading a bit and thing I would end up getting the barrel and such from AR15 performance.com

Members online

No members online now.