WW II Weapons

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Happy Russian kids with MG42's after Stalingrad...now that's what I call a field trip find. Imagine what collectors would be willing to pay for this stuff today?

Rusain%20Children--Stalingrad.jpg

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
One of the ugliest weapon designed for WWII has to be the FP-45 Liberator pistol. Cheap to make ($2.40), with only 23 stamped parts so it was mass produced to be dropped in concentration camps so they could overpower their guards. But it only had a effective range of about 25', after that the .45 bullet would tumble due to the smooth barrel.

Today collectors pay big bucks for this thing...not me..it's just plain ugly.

Liberator.jpg

TheOl55

Full Access Member
The Germans liked them BIG. This is the Gustav Rail Gun. There was also the Dora Gun.

5.jpg

dora-gustav.jpg

my747509040702.jpg

This is the Shell that it fired, it is a 60cm round (23.62 Inch)

Gesch%C3%BCtzDora2.JPG

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Those are definitely some big ass guns. Able to fire a seven ton shell some 29miles is impressive enough but the only real use during the war was the siege at Sevastopol in '41 and the Warsaw Uprising in '44. Surprised they weren't knocked out by Allied bombers earlier on in the war. For it's something you can't exactly hide in a garage. Thanks for sharing.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Sure good some of Hitlers men committed treason,or we would all have little mustaches. All of our generals are just leaving the military,instead of standing up to this impostor..

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
This is probably my favorite tank of the war..the German Elefant or known officially as Panzerjager Tiger (P). With it's 88mm gun and 70 tons of steel had limited use from Kursk to Italy to Berlin. Believe only two examples exist today..one is at Fort Lee, VA.

34244_6.jpg

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
I'm sure there are plenty more buried tanks out there, especially throughout Russia and Eastern Europe. Read they found a British Valentine lying in the Warta River in Poland, along with a very rare WWI German A7V tank.

But that Stug III looks to be in pretty good shape...probably my second favorite tank of the war. Thanks for sharing.

stug_20III_20magyar.jpg

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Yeah, the Stug is my #2 also.

My fav is probably the British Comet, although it didn't come along til late 1945, so I don't know if it can be considered a true WWII tank.

comet+tank,1.jpg

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
A bad odor weapon to humiliate the enemy.

Who Me? was a top secret sulfurous stench weapon developed by the American Office of Strategic Services during World War II to be used by the French Resistance against German officers. Who Me? smelled strongly of fecal matter, and was issued in pocket atomizers intended to be unobtrusively sprayed on a German officer, humiliating him and, by extension, demoralizing the occupying German forces.

The experiment was very short-lived, however. Who Me? had a high concentration of extremely volatile sulfur compounds that were very difficult to control: more often than not the person who did the spraying ended up smelling as bad as the sprayed. After only two weeks it was concluded that Who Me? was a dismal failure. It remains unclear whether there was a successful Who Me? attack.

"Excuse me Herr Hauptmann but you stink more than our Fuhrer..therefore we are surrendering".
3484530193_d9cd2eaf35.jpg

:emotions133:

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
If you have the Military Channel they have a show called Combat Cash. Hosted by Bob Chatt and Owen Thornton about some military pawnbrokers out of Socal who buy/sell vintage military items. Caught an episode today..D-Day landing on Lake Erie..interesting.

Members online

No members online now.