Where have all the fighter pilots gone?

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Came across this email from another forum..little long but worth reading.

Got this emailed to me from a retired Col chopper pilot. Good read and so true.

Where have all the fighter pilots gone?

I think we have plenty of Fighter Pilots and heroes at the Lt., Capt. and Major level who have been great leaders in the recent wartime environments. The problem is that these young warriors are astute and smart enough that they can see what is happening to the military leadership over the last six years (& probably much longer) and they are vacating the services as soon as they are eligible.

Just look at the fifty or so General Officers that the Obama Administration has relieved! What a future for the brightest and best to look forward to. Only the politically inclined are staying and moving on.

Beginning with McNamara the powers that be decided to run the US Air Force like an 8 to 5 business. Warrior leaders of General LeMay's stature were no longer to be found. The fundamental job of the military, "kill people and break their things", became seriously hampered by "rules of engagement" whose guiding logic is political, not successful combat. I agree with the author. If and when the US military is defeated, it will be running the best Day Care centers in the world. We used to go to the Officers Club or NCO Club Stag Bar on Friday afternoons to drink, smoke and swap lies with our comrades. Think about this when you read the rest of the letter below.

What happened to our Air Force/Marines/Army/Navy............. (or Military)? Drinking then became frowned on. Smoking caused cancer and could "harm you." Stag bars became seen as 'sexist'. Gradually, our men quit patronizing their clubs because what happened in the club became fodder for a performance report. It was the same thing at the Airman's Club and the NCO and/or Top 3 clubs. Now we don't have separate clubs for the ranks. Instead we have something called "All Ranks Clubs" or "Community Clubs." They're open to men and women of all ranks....from airman basic to general officer. Still, no one is there. Gee, I wonder why.

The latest brilliant thought out of Washington is that the operators ("pilots?") flying remote aircraft in combat areas from their plush desk at duty stations in Nevada or Arizona should draw the same combat pay as those real world pilots actually on board a plane in a hostile environment. More politically correct logic? They say that remote vehicle operators are subject to the same stress levels as the combat pilot actually flying in combat. REALLY...you're bull-shitting me!!!??? Now that I've primed you a little, read on.

Here is a rant from a retired fighter pilot that is worth reading: "It is rumored that our current Secretary of Defense recently asked the question, "Where are all the dynamic leaders of the past?" I can only assume, if that is true, that he was referring to Robin Olds, Jimmy Doolittle, Patton, Ike, Boyington, Nimitz, etc.?

Well, I've got the answer: They were fired before they made Major! Our nation doesn't want those kinds of leaders anymore. Squadron commanders don't run squadrons and wing commanders don't run wings. They are managed by higher ranking dildos with other esoteric goals in mind. Can you imagine someone today looking for a LEADER to execute that Doolittle Raid and suggesting that it be given to a daredevil boozer -- his only attributes: he had the respect of his men, an awesome ability to fly, and the organizational skills to put it all together? If someone told me there was a chance in hell of selecting that man today, I would tell them they were either a liar or dumber than shit.

I find it ironic that the Air Force put Brigadier General Robin Olds on the cover of the company rag last month. While it made me extremely proud to see his face, he wouldn't make it across any base in America (or overseas) without ten enlisted folks telling him to zip up his flight suit, get rid of the cigarette, and shave his mustache off.

I have a feeling that his response would be predictable and for that crime he would probably get a trip home and an Article 15. We have lost the war on rugged individualism and that, unfortunately, is what fighter pilots want to follow; not because they have to but because they respect leaders of that ilk. We've all run across that leader that made us proud to follow him because you wanted to be like him and make a difference. The individual who you would drag your testicles through glass for rather than disappoint him.

We better wake the hell up! We're asking our young men and women to go to really shitty places; some with unbearable climates, never have a drink, have little or no contact with the opposite sex, not look at magazines of a suggestive nature of any type, and adhere to ridiculous regs that require you to tuck your shirt into your PT uniform on the way to the porta-shitter at night, in a blinding dust storm, because it's a uniform.

These people we're sending to combat are some of the brightest I've met but they are looking for a little sanity, which they will only find on the outside if we don't get a friggin' clue. You can't continue asking people to live for months or years at a time acting like nuns and priests. Hell, even they get to have a beer.

Who are we afraid of offending? The guys that already hate us enough to strap C-4 to their own bodies and walk into a crowd of us? Think about it. I'm extremely proud of our young men and women who continue to serve.

I'm also very in tune with what they are considering for the future and I've got news for whoever sits in the White House, Congress, and our so-called military leaders. Much talent has and will continue to hemorrhage from our services, because wanna-be warriors are tired of fighting on two fronts - - one with our enemies, another against our lack of common sense. Take it or leave it....that's just the way it is, no if's and's or but's...................

Worthy of passing on???

OK...........if not, shitcan it!

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

kwo51

Full Access Member
We have met the enemy and he is us. Our police persons are in the same boat. Liars are not leaders!!!!!!! We are f--ked.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The government schools system has produced followers. Not leaders. Or men strong enough to blaze their own trail. The government is afraid of men who can think for themselves. They were useful at one time but are a threat now.

Full Access Member
How would they get them to fight their fellow Americans and disarm them if they are able to think on their own?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
How would they get them to fight their fellow Americans and disarm them if they are able to think on their own?

I like and dislike your comment at the same time. It's scary to think that our own police/military may go against it's own people someday in the name of "Just doing their job".

kwo51

Full Access Member
They already have in the past, so it would not be nothing new. They were used in limited black riots in some major cities. Coming again to a neighbor hood near you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts