What should you know about personal defense?

Arckadian

As the title states, what do you think you should know about personal defense? Should you have just some training or a lot? MY challenge here is for everyone to post what they think about this topic and then we can toss a few ideas around and see where everyone thinks their personal training is at and what they would like to learn to improve.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Training should be ongoing, never ending and both practical and classroom. Buying a book or too might also help

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
1st , Never pull a gun unless you intend on using it .
2nd , Be very familiar with your weapon of choice.

TacticalAdvantage

Full Access Member
Training should be an Ongoing thing, Find classes that meet your needs, find instructors that are certified. Rob Pincus has a course called Combat Focus Shooting, Gunsite in Arizona has some very well respected courses, Sig Sauer Academy in New Hampshire also has some very good classes as does the US Shooting Academy in Oklahoma

MPac

I think you should deffinatly be on going to the range as much as you can. Make an effort to put atleast 100 rounds down range a month. Stay fresh with your weapon. Get profiecent with it.

Are you mentally prepared to own a weapon. Meaning if someone is breaking in to your house threating the life of you or your family are you mentally prepared to protect your family? To choose your life over the intruders? Just some food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arckadian

I have been shooting a little more than a 100 rounds per week, but my aim is actually not to terrible.... although I need to improve still I know that if needed I can hit my target

ninja man

Full Access Member
the other thing to take into consideration is that a weapon is only an extension of your hand. if you were to lose that weapon, its important to know that you dont necessarily need it. dropping your weapon in a hostile situation and trying to recover it means that your focus is not on your target, rather your weapon which gives your target the advantage. you must not be so reliant on your favorite weapon that you dont know what to do if you dont have it.

Arckadian

I know a little about self defense when it come to my own body.... mostly what I picked up growing up and from the military. But for me if I got into a situation with someone that is far better trained in hand to hand combat I would be in a bad place. But for me I am not sure I could learn any Hand to Hand combat now. Its not a matter of age cause I am not that old, but of body. My knees have not been the same since the military... Its actually what forced me out. Some days the pain is managable but with something like Karate or the other forms I would have issues... So while I would depend on the gun more than some I do have some experince with fighting, but am more liable to injury myself as my own body could act as a weapon against me.

ninja man

Full Access Member
its not so much learning something new, as it is knowing what to do if your weapon is not available, is what i am trying to say. but for someone like you, who has knee problems, you could look into eskrima.

ViperJeff

Administrator
My only advantage would to somehow find myself on top (get your heads out of the gutter). Being a little on the heavy side (a lot), my plan would be to prevent that next breath

otasan

Full Access Member
I have been shooting a little more than a 100 rounds per week, but my aim is actually not to terrible.... although I need to improve still I know that if needed I can hit my target

I haven't shot my G17 in a month. My range is covered with snow.:sorrysign:

FredeTredwell

Personal defence is becoming a very important in this days to protect own self against crime activities. If you are leader or senior of any company or party and have probability of crime attacks, then you need to hire bodyguards for getting protection against crime attacks.

Members online

No members online now.