This is not good

Arckadian

Authorities: Man kills wife, 2 children in murder-suicide

People that think that guns can solve their life when it falls apart should not be allowed to have guns. I agree with that, but only to a point because it is to hard to see who will fall under that umbrella. Having said that, it also depends on the situation . . . one like this. This guy decided that his life was going to hell in a hand basket and instead of trying to find a way through it, or let go (which even I would have had a hard time with) he made the worst choice he could.

He went to his wifes house and gunned her and the two children down. The kids were 8 and 9 years of age. He also shot the father of the wife and then himself. Out of the 5 I know that 4 are dead, the father of the wife I believe is still alive. Guns are not the way this situation should have been resolved, it should not have even been a subconscious thought, but there you are. I feel terrible for the families loss and I just wish that someone else in that house could have also been armed and would have had the chance to fight back. It would still have resulted in death, but I would hope that the children would have at least had a chance to get out and not get killed while in their beds. There are no words for how evil this act is.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
NOTHING good comes from our disposable society these days - disposable lives (abortion, euthanasia), disposable marriage, & disposable children (let the gummint raise them), lead to predictable ends. Maybe not in SPECIFIC cases like this, but surely in the general sense, as we see more of this every day.

The problem with society, is not guns, but morality - & morality is linked to religion (I'm partial to Christianity, but other religions also incorporate moral & ethical norms). And as President John Adams, co-framer of the BoR and Constitution noted - "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

He also - correctly - noted, "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." We see the breakdown & reality of his observations every day... and this is simply another sad & true example of that. :(

kwo51

Full Access Member
Society is breaking down . Without strong moral leadership we will fall into social unrest.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
As tragic as this story is; murder-suicide isn't anything new.
As much as we like to lament the "degradation of modern society", I don't see that society has changed much. There has always been murder, rape, suicide, adultery, theft, corruption, apathy, greed, etc. And there always will be.
The biggest difference in the past 10-15 years is the advent of the internet, 24-hour news cycle, and sensationalist journalism that brings every crime, war, or tragedy from any place on earth right into your home, or into the palm of your hand.

These things are a part of the human condition, the sickness has always been there... It's just now that we get to see it in living color.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I agree that these news items are much more prevalent due to the instant access we have today. And true, the items in your list have always been present in society. But I will have to disagree with your comment about society not changing much. When society looks up to the likes of Kardashian, Jenner and a bunch of other miscreants.

Society has elevated people who really have no business being elevated. Our moral compass is way off. Respect for one another is going away. Everyone is out for themselves. From where I stand, society is changing a lot and not for the good.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Not to mention that there are a few more of us to do bad things. With no morals to guide us it gets out of control fast.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
People just aren't being taught how to act these days. Respect and manners have gone by the wayside. In it's place are "I'm going to do and act however I want since there will be no ramifications".

It use to be that it took a village to raise a child. If a neighbor caught you acting up they would set you straight and then tell your parents who would set you straight again. Nowadays if you reprimand a kid, they tell their parent and then they get in your face. The kids know they can get away with it the majority of the time. And then they grow up to be adults but still haven't learned anything and continue to act out.

So yeah, in my opinion, society continues to erode. From the lack of respect from the younger crowd to the raunchy stuff thats on TV. Lack of guidance. And I'll even throw in a little about how religion is looked down on these days. If more people lived by "The Golden Rule" it could be a better place. Thank God I live in a little town in the bible belt of America where things haven't gotten too bad yet.

Arckadian

What I think is sad is that this will only enflame the anti gunners even more about gun control, when as some of you have pointed out, even without guns IT WOULD HAPPEN ANYWAY!! I think they need to focus more on what caused the situation rather than what was used IN the situation.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Another shooting in a theater .2 dead maybe more ,just more for obamas anti gun program!

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
You hear about these murder/suicides/shootings almost daily anymore..from large cities to the suburbs, to small rural towns. I agree with many in here that our morals and values and respect have largely disappeared and replaced by a new open society full of hatred, drugs, lawless, corruption and the idea that "society owes me something" attitude. News stories like this will continue unfortunately. Is there hope for the future?..I certainly like to believe there is. I am not a church goer per say but I believe the only way this world is going to survive the 21st century is by a divine intervention that encompasses our world with spiritual awakening. Maybe I am being naïve and wishful thinking on my part but there has to be something better than what we have now.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
Thank God I live in a little town in the bible belt of America where things haven't gotten too bad yet.

Your NC flag reminds me of the little town - China Grove - that I grew up in down there. 35 years later, and I can remember EVERY house & shop, and EVERYONE who lived and worked in them, as I walked by them on the way home from Jr. High. I ALSO knew, they ALL knew my dad, and if I so much as kicked a can along the way, my mom & dad would know about it BEFORE I made it home!!!

This is less than 2 miles north of me. Joy to the world...

Local parish forced to shut down festival after fights on 1st night

HUNDREDS of teens fighting, and ruining it for everyone else.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Your NC flag reminds me of the little town - China Grove - that I grew up in down there. 35 years later, and I can remember EVERY house & shop, and EVERYONE who lived and worked in them, as I walked by them on the way home from Jr. High. I ALSO knew, they ALL knew my dad, and if I so much as kicked a can along the way, my mom & dad would know about it BEFORE I made it home!!!

I live North of Durham. There are parts of Durham that are nice and more that aren't. You walk into a fast food establishment and in many cases instead of "Hello, how may I help you?" your just as likely to get "Wutchu want?".

Person county is still friendly. We pretty much aren't participating in the racial divide that a lot of the country is experiencing. We are still friendly and courteous toward one another no matter what color you are. Except for the occasional snot nosed teenager. But we can tell that the Durham attitude is creeping this way ever be it slowly.

I own my own business so I'm all over this county. I'm pretty well known and liked by most people because of the Golden Rule thing I've mentioned before. We aren't quite Mayberry but I do like this area. It still has an old town flavor which IMO we really need to get back to.

kwo51

Full Access Member
florida-man-ordered-by-city-to-keep-bbq-smell-from-leaving-his-property/
This is the country we live in.WTF?

Members online

No members online now.