This is bad

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
1 a.m. in dark clothes and a ski mask .... Your guess is as good as mine ;)
If I read the article correctly, he was at his aunts house. Do you think he was really up to no good trying to rob a relative or just trying to scare the bejesus out of her? Either way, he won't do that again.

Arckadian

I think that reguardless of what the guy was doing, if the reports are correct he charged his father with something in his hand. If he was not planning something nefarious he would have either 1) run away, or 2) dropped what he was carrying and gave up. I do feel very terrible for the father, but he was put into a position that one would never wish to be put into....

All in all I think its a sad state to be put in for anyone. I do hope that the father will be ok... in time.

oppo

Full Access Member
He was adopted relatively late in life and the weapon in his hand was confirmed to be a knife. I feel terrible for the dad but the kid was up to no good and the dad had no choice but to defend himself from an armed attacker.

ViperJeff

Administrator
This is the part that got me....

He confronted someone wearing a black ski mask and black clothing and then fired his gun when the person went at him with a shiny weapon in his hand, police said. They would not provide details about what kind of weapon it was.

Why did the son just not take off the mask and get a yelling at, what was going through that young mans head.... gasp!

oppo

Full Access Member
The kid definitely had issues. I also suspect that drugs are in the picture somewhere. I believe many home breakins are addicts wanting something they can sell for drug money.

Arckadian

agreed that kid was foolish to to what he did. Maybe he thought his father would not fire and it was just a bluff.... bad way to find out :(

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Yeah seems like theres something missing from the story..like a background on this kid?

MIKEITH

That's what worries me about the pranksters that do stuff like that to STRANGERS just to make a YouTube video. Like the people running around acting like zombies scarring people RIGHT after that bath salts incident in Florida. You get one paranoid CHL holder(too many unqualified carriers out there IMO) and then someone's shot for kidding around

infidel

This tells me they weren't close. A father and son have fun together. They know when to play and when to pray. When to fish and when to dish. This was just a father and son. There was no friendship, no fun.

I don't mean to make light of this tragedy. I can only imagine his horror.

I think his son just became another person in his mind. The paranoid rationale of mistrust perpetuated by todays society.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Very Sad !!! After reading further, and some of the comments, the kid was adopted by the father, I feel alot better. Not good, but it's not like he killed his own flesh and blood. I"m saying it's OK. I'm saying as infidel says above, there was not that Father/Son connection there. I'd like to think I'm connected well enough with my 16yo son, even dressed in dark clothes and a mask coming at me, I'd recognize his body structure, his movements, and his actions. I just think I'd know this was my son and not shoot him. And if it were a prank, he'd be getting a beat down anyway because he was raised, shit like this isn't funny and you don't do these things for this exact reason. He's been taught, don't be sneaking in and out of windows of the house, or sneaking in back doors, or coming in at wee hours of the night without calling and notifying me that it's a great way to get shot.

And if he was seriously coming at me with a knife, I'd have it away from him and he'd been beat senseless and in the hospital, but not dead.

Chances are this kid had a bad life in his past before being adopted, and actually probably was up to no good but still didn't deserve to die unless he really had intent of harming his adopted dad. That's the sad part.

ViperJeff

Administrator
even dressed in dark clothes and a mask coming at me, I'd recognize his body structure, his movements, and his actions. I just think I'd know this was my son and not shoot him
Lets just hope you never have to prove that.....

I know I couldn't. At night, dark, dark clothes, panic'd call in the first place, being rushed by a person carring a knife.... nope, not enough time to weigh all the variables. I guess maybe if I was a democrate I could pull a picture of beer outta my ass and have a quick beer summit, bit no, I just don't have them skills

Arckadian

If I came charging you with a knife I think the world would be in dire straights indeed.... or I probably would think I was a Klingon I suppose... MORE BLOOD WINE!!!

oppo

Full Access Member
Lets just hope you never have to prove that.....

I know I couldn't. At night, dark, dark clothes, panic'd call in the first place, being rushed by a person carring a knife.... nope, not enough time to weigh all the variables. I guess maybe if I was a democrate I could pull a picture of beer outta my ass and have a quick beer summit, bit no, I just don't have them skills
Agreed ^^^

A few things I have told my kids repeatedly are that if get up at night, go ahead and turn the light on. If they hear something while up, say their name. Do not sneak into the house.

About a week ago, one of the kiddo's friends was staying with us. He is 18 now and I have known him since he was 10. He didn't have a key and decided to sneak in a back window that I am certain the kiddo left unlocked for him. He assumed nobody was home. The wife was home. He his fortunate that all he got was a lesson and a tongue lashing. I had more than a few words for them about how stupid that was, what could have happened, and that it WILL NOT happen again.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I sure hope I never have to either, but I do think I know my son that well. But as said, my son also knows those aren't the kind of pranks to be pulling on me or anyone. So in the event my son was coming at me in that manner and I didn't recognize him, and he got shot, then I"d have to say he had it coming because it was obviously intentional. All of my friends and family know this isn't a house you come fuggin around at like that.

I also live in a Cul De Sac with only 5 houses and every house has a military presence of some sort, and every house has guns, and we all know it, so I'd imagine even my neighbors would know not to do something like this. Maybe I've become complacent and pretty confident if something like this happens here, it's a real deal and confident, it won't be my son. He'd knows better.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Father's worst nightmare right there. I do agree that there is more to the story than meets the eye but it's still a sad situation to be in...for both of them.

Members online

No members online now.