Solid AR parts info

SWSS

Full Access Member
Asking because, well, I really dont know.

I am a pistol, shotgun and M1 kinda guy. I have bought my ARs built as a finished item. I see a lot of parts and comments and threads...so on and so on and so forth. My question or thought line is this, how is the best way to learn what or how is the best way to put a new rail system or some other tacticool piece of equipment? Youtube, here (duh) or what? I would love to make some changes, I guess, but how do I know I want change or need to make changes to my AR or even what part is the best bang?

Yeah, hanging out in the hotel with not much else going on....:fishing1:

oppo

Full Access Member
The first step is to figure out what you want to accomplish. Do you want increased accuracy, lighter weight, better reliability, a cool look, or...?

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
YouTube would be your best bet for instructional videos. I like to build my own for 2 reasons. First is I'm usually never happy with the way anything comes and the second is it's fun for me. I promised the wife I'd leave the truck alone if guns could be my new hobby. I don't think she realized how expensive my new hobby could be :D

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
YouTube would be your best bet for instructional videos. I like to build my own for 2 reasons. First is I'm usually never happy with the way anything comes and the second is it's fun for me. I promised the wife I'd leave the truck alone if guns could be my new hobby. I don't think she realized how expensive my new hobby could be :D

Yeah, Thats great, still waiting on SOT ? Thats gonna drain the pocket more..

SWSS

Full Access Member
Awesome! I was fishing for those thoughts. Meanwhile, re-hijacking the thread, obviously my answer is - yeah. Whats the point to build if it isnt cool! If it is cool but I cant hit crap, what good is it?
I really just wanted to start a thread for the AR newbie. Probing the well of knowledge we have on the site. I spend a couple of hours a week watching youtube videos of others shoot guns and giving tech knowledge because I cannot afford a new gun to "tryout" every week.

I cant wait to get a lower and begin a build with my son to pass on to him. When i do I know I can tap into all of the knowledge and experience here.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Assembling the lower can be a pita. Watch a few youtube videos and go buy yourself a few tools if you don't already have them. I used painters tape so I didn't put any idiot scratches on mine accidentally

KKing

Full Access Member
Assembling the lower can be a pita. Watch a few youtube videos and go buy yourself a few tools if you don't already have them. I used painters tape so I didn't put any idiot scratches on mine accidentally

Tape for sure helps, and a small block of wood. Use the block of wood to rest the lower on while driving the pins in, especially the trigger guard pin, I've seen people break the ears off the lower if not supported.

As far as tools go I put my lower together with a small hammer, 2 small punches, flat head screwdriver (for the grip screw),and my hands. I've seen videos of people using needle nose pliers and a couple other tools but I didn't find them necessary.

YouTube is definitely a great tool to use as far as assembly and adding accessories go, just be careful you're not watching BubbaRay's Jerry Rig Gunsmithing Channel. I've owned several AR's and I can for sure say that building is much more fun than buying. Especially if you're like me and you have to make every weapon you buy personal

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.