Slings

Bluez

Full Access Member
Please excuse my language by I been meaning to scream this for months now:

WTF is up with one Point Slings!!!!

A sling is suppsoed to free up your hands when you are marching. With a 2 point sling I can even make it so it holds my rifle while I am running (!).

But a one point sling does nothing for me since I need to hold the rifle anyway if I dont want it to flap around against my legs or knees just walking, never mind running.. no matter how high i mount it.

And the higher i mount it the more forward and higher it influences my point of gravity with the weapons weight which is not good either for my agility.

Just about the only thing it is good for is to "transition to your backup gun in case of a failure".

Thats a Police/SWAT/Security contractor PoU as they get to ride wherever they go and the extra weight bulk of a backup handgun is of no consequence since they cna just lower their basic load since the van with the ammo and water is always nearby.

But from a light infantry or self defense or even guerrilla perspective that extra bulk/weight of a handgun is better invested into an extra canteen of water or 3 30rd mags.

Ok I get it it's great to drop your hands off your rifle to get your handgun but if you dont carry handguns while you carry a longgun (I mean WTF who DOES that other than SWAT and/or Security contractors??).

I see no other use for that.. Oh yeah and maybe if I am on a swat team and need to take down notes before enrty a one point sling does a great job of keeping my hands free taking notes but so would a 2 point.

I sold my blackhawk one point before and I am mad at myself at buying another because a knowledgable guy at my range talked me into trying it again, Its mounted perfect on my SIG 516 on the back of the receiver but it just doesn't work for me..
It may have some use if I carry a backup handgun but I don't intend to as I dont live in a video game. it just doesn't work for me UNLESS i carry a backup handgun which I don't intend to as I dont live in a video game.

Every ounce on my body needs to earn its keep and a "back up handgun" simply doesnt and my firepower is better sevred w/ 3 extra mags ( much bigger chance i'll need those), or more water (much bigger chance I need that) or simply less weight (100% chance I can make use of that)

Even if I have a 1 point sling I still need to carry my rifle in my hands at all times and i cant even use it to stabilize my fire like I can w/ with a 2 point.

Am I out to left field and missing something here?

Last edited:

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
We used one point slings in ranger battalion and I actually prefer it over a two point sling. I also carried three firearms but would've prefered two. The reason we used one point slings is because of how much mout training we did and the need to free your hands quickly. I actually had my m4 slung so that when not in use it would drop towards my left side freeing my right for the remington 870 (door breaching). We all have our preferences though

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I am a civilian with no military experiance and i use a single point sling... I shoot long rifle left handed and pistols right handed. I use a right handed leg holster for my g19 and a bladetech on my hip for my g23 while at the outdoor range. The reason I like single point is some of the same ranger danger said, I want my hands to be free quickly if needed to give medical aid to a neighbor or anyone if the shtf. I prepare for the worst and hope for the best..just my 2 cents..
Concealed 27

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Should have mentioned this last night but I was tired lol. To me a sling is used only to free your hands for whatever need you may have. While moving or running your primary weapon should be carried in the semi ready position. If you're fumbling around with either sling you could lose valuable time trying to get your weapon ready

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Ever considered a 3 point sling?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVGbYG2_u4I]Specter 3-Point Tactical Sling - YouTube[/ame]

chops

I like it. I have been looking for a decent sling. I "kinda" like the one point but do not love it. The AR hanging and bumping against my knees and thighs can be annoying. The sling given with the Ar-15 is basically useless. I can barely get it around my neck and onto my shoulder. I'm going to look into this Specter 3 point. Thank you for the demo

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I use a simple 2 pt sling on my DR200 and carry it looped just over my neck for ready carry. That way, if I need it out of the way, I can hook my arm inside it and swing the rifle off to the side.
I've been using this method for almost 20 years with the rifle, so I have it practiced to the point where I have no desire to change now, but I'm stubborn that way
dr200ebrcomp.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I like it. I have been looking for a decent sling. I "kinda" like the one point but do not love it. The AR hanging and bumping against my knees and thighs can be annoying. The sling given with the Ar-15 is basically useless. I can barely get it around my neck and onto my shoulder. I'm going to look into this Specter 3 point. Thank you for the demo

I picked up a 3 point for SKS with Tapco stock and I like it. Works just like the one in the video. It gives you different carry options for different occasions. I think I may get one for the AR.

Members online

No members online now.