Semi-automatic rifles, automatic assault rifles - question

BIRDMAN

Don't take this question the wrong way or misinterpret it for something with political undertones...remember where we are. I'm just looking for some constructive conversation on the matter that doesn't lead to a political forum battle. I would actually like to hear from those who own these weapons so the casual observer can form their own opinion.

My question is this: Why does a typical, law abiding citizen need a semi/auto assault rifle? I understand that some would say it's a right to keep and bear arms, regardless of their capacity and power.

But the question is, why does the average person need (not want) one?

The handgun in your bed stand or on your person to protect you and your family from "bad guys"...I get that.

The shot gun or bolt action hunting rifle for recreational game hunting...I get that.

But what would the legitimate use for a semi/auto weapon be other than playing with it at the range? Is it just a toy then? Like the 1500hp Corvette in the garage, sure nobody needs it...I can understand why it's fun to own, but it's not practical for anything other than taking to the track and showing off to buddies, is it?

You're not going to hunt with it, unless you're hunting zombies. You're not going to carry it around on your hip for personal protection. Most responsible gun owners keep their high powered weapons locked in a gun cabinet, right?(especially if they have children/family...the one they're protecting)

What would be the tactical advantage of locating, unlocking, loading and preparing to shoot a "bad guy", should one enter your home, with a semi/auto weapon versus the hand gun that's at arm's reach?

Again, I'm not looking for the political answer, I want to hear from the owners of these weapons and compelling arguments as to why these weapons should or shouldn't be in the hands of Americans, from a practical, not political standpoint.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I built mine for recreational use and hoping to get into hog hunting. I'd much rather have a semi auto rifle than a bolt action if I happened to walk up on 20 hogs. There's also so many ways to mod an AR you can build it to fit almost any need for hunting or range use. Wanna hunt different game make some changes for less than buying a whole new bolt gun. Same things goes for the range.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Not to sound smart but, no where in the bill of rights does it say Need. A lot of people sure are throwing that word around as of late.

I have 1 that I built that I shoot at the range. It reminds me of the M16 A-1 I used in the military except it is not full auto.

I'm in the process of building Another that will be a hunting rifle.

BIRDMAN

Not to sound smart but, no where in the bill of rights does it say Need. A lot of people sure are throwing that word around as of late.

I have 1 that I built that I shoot at the range. It reminds me of the M16 A-1 I used in the military except it is not full auto.

I'm in the process of building Another that will be a hunting rifle.

I was hoping to have a more practical discussion, not pick apart the bill of rights word by word. Your rights are to own a gun if you want to, simply put. If you wish (want) to exercise your right to own a weapon, that's your choice (or right), within the extent of what state and federal laws will allow. I get that, but it's toeing the line on a political viewpoint which I wanted to avoid.

My question to you is do you need 1 or more assault weapons in your personal arsenal. Is it something you own because you have a practical use for it during your day-to-day, or is it something you want to own because you enjoy shooting it for recreational purposes and basically just because you can.

Any answer will suffice, I'm not suggesting any feelings on either side of the discussion.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
My question to you is do you need 1 or more assault weapons in your personal arsenal. Is it something you own because you have a practical use for it during your day-to-day, or is it something you want to own because you enjoy shooting it for recreational purposes and basically just because you can.

Define "assault weapon" for me. I could use my bare hands, a pencil, a spoon or anything I wanted to assault someone with. AR does not stand for assault rifle which is what most people believe (I used to also). Here's a link to help educate others that believe that also

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=AR-15

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I need one to defend my home, my life, my country. The founding fathers knew that without weapons it would make us subjects to the government and not citizens.

As Col. Cooper wrote (paraphrased) to divide hunting, sport & fighting uses of a weapon is to whittle the weapons away one by one.

I have the need for two ARs at the present moment. I surely have the want for more :).

kwo51

Full Access Member
Birdman has no fear of an oppressive government. Nor do I as long as I can defend myself with thermonuclear weapons. Trying reading the 2nd amendment. Birdbrain! MHO

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
Need is a problem word. I don't need a large lifted truck. You don't need a 5 bedroom house, or a nice wristwatch. I am entitled to the right to own and operate a semi automatic rifle, anything past that is personal choice and not the government or the publics' business

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

BIRDMAN

Define "assault weapon" for me. I could use my bare hands, a pencil, a spoon or anything I wanted to assault someone with. AR does not stand for assault rifle which is what most people believe (I used to also). Here's a link to help educate others that believe that also

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=AR-15

Let's say an automatic rifle. Terminology and semantics aren't what I want to discuss.

Birdman has no fear of an oppressive government. Nor do I as long as I can defend myself with thermonuclear weapons. Trying reading the 2nd amendment. Birdbrain! MHO

Why are you attacking me for asking a question? I said multiple times, I'm not suggesting I stand on either side of the fence. I am asking this question because once the dust settles from the school shooting, the NRA press conference and any other related fallout, these are the questions that are going to be asked. You better have a damn good fucking answer unless you want your weapons confiscated. When you're done being a fucking asshole then start thinking about an intelligent response that doesn't involve the bill of rights and arguing semantics because we've already seen that shit doesn't matter to our government.

JuggNuttz

since illinois doesnt allow rifle hunting, you could say i dont have a NEED for a semi auto rifle, but in other places its legal and they DO use semi auto rifles for hunting. my dad now has property in florida, and the SKS is a pretty decent choice for hunting feral hogs, and will be my use. Also, have you seen a pissed of boar going after things? if stuck in that situation, id much rather have a semi-auto than a bolt action if my health and life were on the line. I know of people in wisconsin who also use their SKS's for deer hunting.

i really hate the want vs need discussions. im not giving you shit birdy, i know where your comming from, but its bullshit. i mean neither you nor I NEED a Raptor.... theres plenty of other viable and cheaper solutions for what we do. but we love them and would never give them up. ill stop there as it might get political, but i think you get the idea.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Sorry for killing the messenger but he pissed me off. On one of the Alaska shows a man living where bears come in to eat garbage , killed one with a m16 on full auto. We may have riots, food wars who knows.We deserve the right to protection and that means all types of firearms.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
I need an AR because I don't trust our government to always do the right thing. Many countries have trusted their governments before and gotten hosed in the end. Not to mention, Japan didnt invade us in WWII because of our firearm ownership. Back in the day, an M1 was a military style weapon. No one bitched back then. I need it to defend myself and family from all threats, foreign and domestic, and I don't have a pistol that can kill as well as my ar can. I don't feel like I want to chance my families life on a pistol round if I don't have to.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Birdman has a point. If you were officially asked "Why do you need this weapon?" How do you respond convincingly so that they'll let you keep that weapon? There's probably no reason good enough in their eye's. They will be predisposed in weapons confiscation if it comes to that.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

Hey Andy, I have owned guns for more than 35 years. Also a NRA Member for 40+ years. I started shooting with my Dad, a now Retired Cop of almost 38 years, when I was about 7 yeras old.

I started with a S&W Model 19-2 .357 Mag (used .38 special & wad cutters, when I was younger)
I have NEVER Sold any of my guns, just added. I had 8 Revolvers, before I added my First Semi-auto pistol to my collection. I didn't NEED a Semi-auto pistol, but they are TOTALLY Different, and I WANTED that choice of being able, to shoot & practice with one. I now have 3 Semi-auto pistols.

I have several Rifles, Bolt-Action, Lever-Action, Shotguns in pump, break-open and EVEN a Remington Model 1100 Semi-Auto.

I don't own a AR, or Bushmaster or ?? "Semi-Auto Rifle", But I WANT to add one or two or three .............. BEFORE SOME FUCKED IN THE HEAD ASSHOLE,
TAKES THAT LEGAL RIGHT AWAY FROM ME.

randy

Like Ted Nugent has said many times,

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
Ted Nugent

There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.
Ted Nugent

The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
Ted Nugent

Americans have the right to choose to be unarmed and helpless. Be my guest.
Ted Nugent

Every study on crime and or firearms proves time and time again, that 99.99999% of American gun owners do not commit crimes or use our firearms in any dangerous or improper way.
Ted Nugent

I'm not in the leftist controlled Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because of my political views, primarily my lifelong militant support of the NRA, the Second Amendment, and my belief that the only good bad guy is a dead bad guy.
Ted Nugent

War is good when good survives and evil is crushed. If you don't crush evil then evil will get you.
Ted Nugent

I am the Great White Buffalo and I play an American-made Gibson guitar that can blow your head clean off at 100 paces.
Ted Nugent

"You mean to say that when an imbecile walks into a church, office, day care center, or school, stumbling about, almost zombie-like, with gun-filled hands at his side, blabbering incoherently to his next victim, the reaction of grown men and women is to run, cry, whimper, and hide under a desk or pew? The sheeping of America is nearly complete."
Ted Nugent

"And don't believe for a minute the wild-ass lies of [anti-gun/anti-Second Amendment folks'] stoned leaders like Jann Wenner of "Rolling Stoned" magazine. As head honcho of Cease Fire, this goofball blatantly manipulates and controls the words and pages of his powerful publications under the bulletproof umbrella of the First Amendment while he laughs out loud wiping his ass with the Second... Though oft repeated in rags like his, a handgun IS NOT forty-seven times more likely to kill a family member, unless of course, you and the whole tribe are in the crack runnin' trade and/or on parole as a lifestyle. That ramrod figure is as false as Jann's wedding vows. After he left his wife and children to go off into the sunset, ass in hand, with his new boyfriend, he turned up his antigun heat by increasing his hateful editorials and free magazine ad space with outrageous twisted lies about guns and gun owners
Ted Nugent
==============================

Sadly, I predicted this would happen.

In my Op-Ed regarding former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ shooting, I wrote there would be another slaughter unless Americans were prepared to defend themselves from these psychotic monsters.

At the movie theater in Aurora, Colo., no one was adequately prepared. As a result, a dozen people are dead and scores more seriously wounded.

It shouldn’t have happened, but it did — and it will happen again unless Americans wake up to the basics of self-defense.

Massacres have taken place at various schools, at shopping malls, at churches, at restaurants, at a congressional rally, on a subway, and now at a theater. One would think we would have learned after so many painful lessons.

Violence can erupt anywhere at anytime. Always has, always will. The police can’t possibly be everywhere all the time. As a result, the protection of you and your loved ones rests with you, not the police.

Sadly, I wrote basically these same words in my Giffords Op-Ed.

There are already pundits declaring that America should have a discussion about guns. That’s code for restricting guns.

I’m all for having a discussion about guns so long as the discussion includes making it easier for law-abiding citizens to get guns and carry guns, and includes the banning of murderers' favorite killing grounds: gun-free zones.

The theater where the slaughter took place was a gun-free zone, thereby making it yet another perfect killing field for psycho evildoers. Gun-free zones are death traps. They should be outlawed.

We already have thousands upon thousands of gun laws. The only problem with them is that psychos and criminals have never and will never abide by them. Passing a few more gun laws may make a few denial cultists feel good, but these laws won’t do any good.

More gun-control laws will only ensure one thing: more innocent Americans being slaughtered. Only a fool could possibly subscribe to that.

If we are going to have a national debate about guns, let’s start it by agreeing that gun control is an abysmal failure.

Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, yet scores of people are shot each weekend. The same is true for Washington, D.C., and every other city in America.

The truth is that thugs, psychos, and dope heads will always have guns. Making it harder for law-abiding citizens to get guns and protect themselves is in itself psychotic.

The slaughter in the gun-free theater didn’t need to be. Had one or two Americans with a concealed handgun been in that theater, chances are the death toll would have been substantially reduced. It has been proven over and over, again and again. The same is true at every other massacre.

There is evil in the world. If good is restricted from stopping evil, evil will carry out its vicious and bloody behavior.

Americans should be encouraged to protect themselves by our elected officials and police. That’s the way forward, but unfortunately, due to the brain-dead scourge of political correctness, our government will not say this. But I will.
Ted Nugent
==================================

Arm yourself and live. Unarmed and helpless is unarmed and helpless. A tragic and irresponsible condition.
Ted Nugent

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"
Ted Nugent

"When you responsibly procure your family's dinner by hand, each meal becomes a sacred rite, and the reality of life and death is undeniable."
Ted Nugent

"I thank the Founding Fathers of America for writing down self-evident truths and the lessons of abuse at the hands of tyrants and monsters, so we can live in the last and only best place...I thank Gibson for the loudest and sexiest guitars in the world."
Ted Nugent

Thanks Ted
randy

kwo51

Full Access Member
If they ask me to justify mine some one will take all my ammo first. I said we have a right to own anything we want. The courts were wrong in their ruling. We are facing the government the founders were afraid off.

bishop

The courts were wrong in their ruling. We are facing the government the founders were afraid off.

I doubt your ability to understand constitutional law and intent more so than people whose lifetime work and profession is to do exactly that.

We are a republic. And the government is working exactly as it was intended by our forefathers. You are just on the wrong end of it. The day is coming when 'your can bear arms, as long as it isn't an assault rifle' and your supposed convincing argument to prevent that is bull hit.

You got pissed off at the OP and started calling names, well guess what. You are acting like a 5 year old. Act like a responsible adult instead of spreading false, ignorant and misleading conjecture.

If you appear ignorant to the gun loving crowd, just think of how you appear to the non gun owner. Help or shut up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts